Running question about run/walk?

Options
I am currently training for my first half marathon. When I started training I would just run as long as I could then take a minute walk break. Then I was told that it is best to run 10min and walk 1min through your entire run. What do you do and what do you recommend? I have been trying to push myself by running as hard as I can at the 9min for a min. before I walk. Are there other ways that you push yourself?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Run/walk at whatever interval you want is fine. Running without walking is fine also. However, running as hard as you can when training for a half marathon is counterproductive. When you run that hard all the time you are stressing the wrong physiological system and not fully developing the aerobic system. Slow down most of your runs to a level that you can sustain. Once a week push harder for 20 or more minutes.

In the long run you will run faster for longer by training this way.
  • phdcharlie
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question--I will be interested in seeing what advice you get. My wife is doing the "proper" training for a half marathon in mid October. I have started to do my own walk/run program to build up miles and perhaps give the Half Marathon a go. Two weeks ago I alternated 0.5 miles of walking and 1.0 miles of running for 6.5 miles. This week I did the same 0.5 mile walk / 1 mile run alternation for 8.0 miles. Going forward, I am thinking about increasing the run segments by 0.5 miles each week, building up to 13.1 miles and then just increasing the distance of the run segments while holding a max distance of 13.1 miles. Aside from these long runs once per week, I am running without walking 2 days per week and am up to 4.0 miles per day. I am looking to add 0.5 miles per week to these solid runs too. Obviously, I can change the plan so I am open to advice. By the way, good luck with your training and race, 29forever.
  • phdcharlie
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, scottb81!
  • 29forever
    29forever Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks scottb81. I do wear a garmin when I run so that I can keep a steady pace. I am just trying to figure out ways to increase my time. But maybe this should not be my focus yet as this is my first HM. I will try what you suggested.

Thanks phdcharlie for the well wishes. You sound like you are doing great with your runs keep up the great work and I wish your wife luck on her Half Marathon.
  • purerunning1
    purerunning1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're properly trained for the half, meaning you can run 15+ miles at an easy pace, then running 13.1 at a quick pace shouldn't be a problem. I can run a good half without walking but not the case for me running a marathon. I've done three and my best time is when I ran a mile and walked a minute for the duration of the race. Keeping your heart rate down is the key to any long distance race.
  • scottb81
    Options
    The primary limiting factor in your ability to run and to run fast at distance is your aerobic capacity. The most effective way to improve this is to run a lot of miles at a moderate pace. If you run a lot of miles at a moderate pace you will be able to race at a faster pace.

There is a time and place for speedwork but it can only build upon whatever aerobic capacity you have built. Also, the benefits of speedwork max out in a couple of months and cannot be again improved until the aerobic capacity it built higher. Aerobic capacity can be continuously improved for years with consistent and progressive training.

Here is a free e-book by Arthur Lydiard that expains this in more detail: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf.
  • 29forever
    Options
    Thanks scottb81 this is good advice. The one thing I love about running is that there is always ways to keep improving the thing I need to remember is to build up gradually and start with my aerobic capacity. I tried your link but it said page was not found.
  • 29forever
    Options
    Thanks purerunning1. That is good to know about the heart rate. I am still working towards my 1st Half Marathon but I hope in the future to work my way up to a marathon. Great for you that you have a few under your belt to reflect upon, that is awesome!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bump.... loving all this advice and want to keep reading more!!
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For short runs, I do 4:1 intervals. For my long runs (7+ miles) and races, I do 3:1 intervals.
    I am training for my third half.

We do a majority of our training runs at an easy or conversational pace. Speed work and hills are also part of our training. Currently, we are toward the end of our "building" phase.
  • scottb81
    Options
    The link had a period at the end of the sentence that wasn't part of the link.

This will work.

http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf
  • 29forever
    Options
    Thanks for the link to the ebook. I have skimmed over it and look forward to reading it in depth. I now understand what you mean by aerobic capacity and I am excited to read about hill training as I need to learn this too.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The primary limiting factor in your ability to run and to run fast at distance is your aerobic capacity. The most effective way to improve this is to run a lot of miles at a moderate pace. If you run a lot of miles at a moderate pace you will be able to race at a faster pace.

There is a time and place for speedwork but it can only build upon whatever aerobic capacity you have built. Also, the benefits of speedwork max out in a couple of months and cannot be again improved until the aerobic capacity it built higher. Aerobic capacity can be continuously improved for years with consistent and progressive training.

Here is a free e-book by Arthur Lydiard that expains this in more detail: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf
    Utterly agree with all of the above.
    If you have time to read that whole e-book, it will really help you understand how to train.

The biggest mistake I see in new runners is thinking that you should be going all out, all the time - seems logical that you would try your hardest each time, but it's actually counterproductive, not to mention exhausting. Build that aerobic base with steady, paced distance first. It really will make you faster.
  • purerunning1
    purerunning1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Best of luck, I absolutely love the half. It's the perfect race distance in my opinion. Keep up the great work.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    All great answers and advice hopefully showing many ways to improve I am somewhat older and still alot heavier so I alternnate days distance and pace Sunday my long day is now 8.5 miles walking about 3 running 5 then an easy monday bike 30 minutes jog 30 tuesday run hard 4.5 or 5 miles wed walk only 4.5 miles thursday rest bike friday run hard 4.5 miles Sat open depending on weather condition
    My average pulse was 138 maxing at 155 today during the walk barely over 115 so aerobic base is improving distance and pace as well
    For me it is a long process but I am loving it I will run a 10K with my daughter next spring