Too much weight loss?

Options
Hi,

I've been reading some forum posts and noticed people are struggling to lose or are surprised when they lose 8lbs in a month. I lost 5lbs this week by eating right, staying under the calorie goal and exercise everyday doing cardio at the 155 bpm for 30 mins (sometimes twice when I golf).

I weighed 197lbs last Monday and weighed in this morning (Monday) and I lost 5 lbs and I am now 191.8.

I generally was always a really light person. One of those ones who can eat everything and anything always and never gain a pound. I quit smoking back in January 2011 I gained quite a bit of weight when I quit and I started to notice that as I get older I was starting to grow that "beer belly" which also seems to be hereditary in my family. I do not want this belly, ever!

How am I able to drop 5 lbs so fast?!?... I know losing too much too fast is unhealthy, should I eat more or slow down exercising or something? I like what I see in terms of results. I don't under-eat whatsoever either and I don't workout too hard so i don't know.

Replies

• Trollivier
    Trollivier Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well I heard that the more weight you need to lose, the faster you start losing it.
    I was able to lose 5 lbs in two weeks and I was told by a kinesiologist that between 2 to 3 lbs a week is safe.

As to why you lose it this fast, I do not know :(
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks you will drop weight fast - its mostly water. After than your weight loss will slow down. If however you are still dropping 5lbs a week a couple of weeks from now then you may be under calories and it would be a good idea to up them a bit.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks you will drop weight fast - its mostly water. After than your weight loss will slow down. If however you are still dropping 5lbs a week a couple of weeks from now then you may be under calories and it would be a good idea to up them a bit.

This. Most people lose more in the first week or two but as you go on and your body adjusts your weight loss will slow down. Plus losing 5lb per week is not healthy unless you have a lot to lose.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If you are just beginning, you are dropping a ton of water weight the first week. I lost like 10 lbs the first week. It will slow down!
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

This. Most people lose more in the first week or two but as you go on and your body adjusts your weight loss will slow down. Plus losing 5lb per week is not healthy unless you have a lot to lose.

Yea, I lost 5.2 lbs my first week and 3.8 lbs my second week. then 1.2 lbs and i maintained last week when i started adding in exercise. we will see what this week holds for me...
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I heard 100% of people who drink water will die!... :wink:

If you are working out and eating within your calories (not starving yourself by eating like 600 a day) you should be fine, but if you are worried about it then just eat a slight bit more and see how you do. Our bodies are all different. Listen to yours :happy:
  • tdelam
    tdelam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the replies!

I am only 191lbs, which for me is only 10 lbs overweight so I was a little curious. I've heard before that if you have a lot to lose you will drop it fast for the first 10-20 lbs then level out but I was not sure for someone my size and such a short time. Let's see how this week pans out :) I hope I drop another 5! I'll be 5 from my goal!