Just to make sure i've got this right. MFP use with fitbit

Options
I know these questions have been asked numerous times but i'm just making sure i am reading all these threads correctly. I use a Fitbit and get a certain allowance throughout the day just from walking around. some days i may get in 10,000 steps and other days not. i am also doing Jillian's Body Revolution circuit DVD's. I start off with 1200 calories a day. MFP will give me additional calories to eat from the fitbit adjustment so the additional is aded to the 1200 per day. I am then adding the circuit training which gives me about another 250 calories. i will push the start and stop button on the fitbit when i do that circut dvd. so in one given day i may be able to eat approx 1600-1700 calories? is that correct?

if i walk or go for a run i do not manually add that activity since the fitbit has already logged those steps.

just making sure i have this all straight.

Replies

• momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes that's right.

We have a Fitbit group on MFP, where you can get more help. Come join us!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • mwynia
    mwynia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks for your help.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Ok then am I doing it wrong? Holy mother of all inventions this shouldn't be this complicated. I keep track of food and my "exercise walk" on myfitnesspal. I then let the fitbit calculate the rest. Now is that what I am seeing as the "adjustment" number on myfitnesspal? Cuz I been just deleting that one because I don't want to be double posting for that "exercise walk". Did that make sense?? HELP ME OBIWAN!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be posting your "exercise walk" on mfp, if you were wearing your fitbit, it is part of the fitbit calorie adjustment. I don't log any exercise that is running or walking, because fitbit does it for me.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Punkmom: It's not necessarily wrong, but just extra work. Fitbit was calculating it for you. An exception may be if you're on a treadmill and you're using an incline. Fitbit doesn't know the extra effort you're making for the incline. So, in that case, I would delete FB and add in your own calculations.
    Otherwise, no need to delete FB or add in your own walk. Fitbit had it for you.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    If I am walking for exercise, I don't log it separately on MFP because the fitbit does that (and fairly accurately, IME). When I do an exercise class (Zumba, kickboxing), I log it on MFP according to my heart rate monitor. I also record it as an "activity" on my fitbit so the calories used aren't double counted.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Let fitbit calculate your running and walking activities. Enter your "other" activities on MFP.
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I do not have a Fitbit but have a great friend here who does. She told me she notes the start and stop time of her walk/jog/treadmill in the Fitbit and uses the MFP numbers for that exercise because she said Fitbit will deduct it from the steps so she doesn't d" double dip", then Fitbit will log the "other" steps as an adjustment. Then she gets credit for her exercise routine and an adjustment for her steps, stairs, etc.
  • Lyssa62
    Options
    I do not have a Fitbit but have a great friend here who does. She told me she notes the start and stop time of her walk/jog/treadmill in the Fitbit and uses the MFP numbers for that exercise because she said Fitbit will deduct it from the steps so she doesn't d" double dip", then Fitbit will log the "other" steps as an adjustment. Then she gets credit for her exercise routine and an adjustment for her steps, stairs, etc.

that's the info I was given. So up until the last time I synced it looked right. I put what time I started the walk and it was deducted on myfitnesspal...so that it was only showing once. But now that I synced up ...now there is a huge number for my fitbit adjustment. I hardly ever make it to the 1200 calories I'm supposed to eat a day anyhow so not really worried about going over..would just like to know which way is more accurate. Now this thread sounds like more people are just letting fitbit do it's thing. SIGH
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options

that's the info I was given. So up until the last time I synced it looked right. I put what time I started the walk and it was deducted on myfitnesspal...so that it was only showing once. But now that I synced up ...now there is a huge number for my fitbit adjustment. I hardly ever make it to the 1200 calories I'm supposed to eat a day anyhow so not really worried about going over..would just like to know which way is more accurate. Now this thread sounds like more people are just letting fitbit do it's thing. SIGH

Did you put in the start and stop time?
  • Lyssa62
    Options
    I manually entered the start time and when I looked after my walk it was right with what MFP said. I just erased it from MFP and left the manually entered walking miles on there. Then in the afternoon I got another big adjustment from FB. So I don't know if that was from the rest of the daily activity or what.? Did that make any sense?

ps -- edited and added. I am just going to look at the little fitbit itself and see what it says for everything and go by that..seems that would be the most accurate way. :) I know I am making this way too hard.