1200 calorie a day people

Options
How many others are out there besides me?? I'm tired of people telling me i dont eat enough so forth and so on. My DOCTOR and NUTRITIONIST put me on a 1200 calorie diet. The last time I was on a 1200 calorie diet I lost 150 lbs!!! The only reason I gained it back was because I got pregnant with my daughter. Anyways how many other 1200 calorie dieters are out there????

Replies

• Nzancy
    Nzancy Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I just started with the 1200 calorie plan again, but since I've been off of it, I gained ALL the weight back PLUS some!

Starting again feels like I can barely eat anything exciting, but I remember during the time that I was successful, I became very creative with my meals; wheat tortilla pizzas, ricotta and chocolate syrup for dessert...and they were actually good.

It's just a lot of planning!
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I try to stick with 1200 calories (Except for the last few days.. i've been terrible but I'm getting back on track.)
    Sometimes I go a little over, not by much though. Ever since I've decreased my calories to around 1200, I've been losing weight consistently every week.
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Me! I've noticed if I eat back my workout calories I don't lose so I try to stick to 1200 as much as possible.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and my weight stalled. I changed my settings to lose 1/2 pound per week. Now the weight is dropping.
  • tinalrucker
    tinalrucker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1200 is what Fitness Pal has me on as well. Just getting started so we shall see how it goes. On another site similiar to MFP, it had me at a range of 1200 - 1500 and I did tend to eat more towards the 1400-1500 range and did lose here and there when I actually stuck with it. Will try the 1200 and see what happens.
  • trimom2007
    Options
    me too. I'm actually working with a doctor who prescribed 1200. I thought she was crazy. But I lost 5 pounds in the first few weeks. Then I stopped tracking my food, thinking I could just do it in my head. Well, that hasn't worked out so well.

Anyone want to "friend" up to provide support? Email me.

--S
  • rpounds1957
    rpounds1957 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 pounds on a 1200-1280 calorie a day diet. My loss averaged about 2 pounds per week. Since, I have upped my calories a bit, mostly because I am close enough to goal to start tapering off. However, I never felt that I was eating too little at 1200. If 1200 is working for you, don't worry about what others might have to say about it. If it stops working, you'll have to start finding solutions.
  • DinaDoh23
    DinaDoh23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories since March. It is not easy and there are days I do go into my workout calories when I need a special treat but I try to stick to it as much as I can. I have definitely seen results being I have almost lost 55 pounds in under 6 months. It is hard to eat out but I have found if I am able to research the lighter options at restaurants before going I am ok. I barely ever drink alcohol anymore but when I do, I make sure it is a low calorie beer or rum and diet. Keep up the good work! I know how challenging it can be but the results are so worth it!!!
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have been aiming at 1200, once in a while I go over but have managed to lose close to 38 lbs so far. I think I will be okay after I finally reach my goal weight because now I find that I don't want to eat all those calories I was eating before after doing this for so long. I am not missing getting a big ice cream milk shake or that the White Chocolate Mocha at Starbucks all the time. Once I realized how many calories I was consuming when I had it that made it a little easier to stay away from it. Having an extra small treat once in a blue moon is one thing but doing them several times a week, just not cool for the waist line.
  • L_amore
    L_amore Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and my weight stalled. I changed my settings to lose 1/2 pound per week. Now the weight is dropping.

I noticed that to, I thought by decreasing my calorie intake to 1200 I would lose more weight faster, and boy was I wrong, all it did was stall my weight loss! Lesson learned... So now I'm back up to the 1500 calorie range, still exercising 5days a week and some days I eat back my calories, others I dont, I just listen to my body on that... Rule, If I'm hungry, I eat... If not, I dont.
  • healthyCAL
    healthyCAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 as well. If I raise my calorie level I find myself eating more "'empty" calories. If I keep myself at 1200 I make sure to make each and every one of those calories count. When I am away from home I up my calories to 1600 because lower calorie options aren't always available at mom's or in-laws. As for all those people telling you that you aren't eating enough...You are probably getting more nutrition in your 1200 calories then they get in 2000! Show them your diary and the breakdown of nutrients you consume. Put in their food and have them compare. That will be a wake up call. 1200 calories can certainly be enough to be healthy.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    1200 here. I find it more than enough food (now), don't feel deprived, and haven't had a problem losing.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Depends on the size of the person and their eating habits, I guess.

I'm at 1275 for now. I used to be at 1200. I find that if I make most of my meals at home it's pretty easy for me to stay at 1200 or under. However, I'm very short so it my body doesn't require as much food. Most calorie calc I used tell me to eat at about 1200 to 1300.

That's just me =)
  • taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200, but also doing weight watchers, I like how this site counts your protien, carbs, sodium etc. Someday's I eat my workout calories..some I dont, just depends if I am physically hungry.
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The Hairy bikers were doing 1200 calories a day and there meals are really good proper food including pies !!! I am trying to stick around the 1500 calories a day
  • lilcheer
    lilcheer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too am on the 1200 calorie plan. Some days it seems like enough food but others I feel I am totally depriving myself. I am beginning to see that I have to make what I eat really count, there is no room for empty calories. There are days that people around me don't seem to understand the whole 1200 calorie thing, people tend to make comments that I am not eating enough or they tempt me to eat more, it can be frustrating to feel like I am in this alone. Thank heavens for my MFP family.
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just started today! 1200 calorie/day. I like being able to input my foods and adjust the amounts. I added the option of tracking sugar also, have to figure out how to cut that back cause I went way over the suggested amount.
  • vjt1976
    vjt1976 Posts: 43
    Options
    My doctor has also set my calorie intake to 1200 to help me lose weight. He has also prescribed me Phentermine to help get started to lose weight. There are a lot of people on here who do not agree with this. I have spoken with my doctor and know this is only temporary to help me get started. Because most at this time I eat under 1200 calories I get a lot of people telling me every day that I am starving myself and that I am putting my body into starvation mode. I do not believe you should eat if you are not hungry. I have tried to up my calorie intake and end up gaining weight which then discourages me. So until my doctor tells me to change what I'm doing I am just ignore the people who disagree. I need support I don't need people telling me what to do like I am a child. If anyone wants to help support me please add me as a friend :) Wish you the best of luck with your weight loss journey.
  • bko_11
    bko_11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am doing 1200 a day and most days don't eat my workout calories. I am finding that I am full from my meals but not so full that I can't function for the rest of the day.
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    I'm at 1200 a day. I was at 1430, trying to lose a pound a week, and just went back to losing a pound and a half a week.