Sugar Substitutes are they worth it????

Options
pgp90xer
pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
For a few months now I switched from taking 2 sugars in my coffee down to one and then to only using one artificial sweetener but after reading this article I think I am betting staying with pure sugar? ( limited amount for sure )

What are your thoughts?

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/nutrition/sugar-vs-sweeteners/?page=1

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Fair warning: any topics related to "Does organic matter" or "Are artificial sweeteners" toxic create a **** storm on here.

Anyway. No, you should not use artificial sweeteners, because they might be toxic, and even if in ten years they're found to definitively be totally safe, why take the chance now?

My first tip is to try Stevia, zero calorie, non-toxic, all natural. That being said, I have tried to get used to stevia in my coffee and I just can't.

I just ordered Nectresse, a new natural sweetener made from monk fruit, and I will post a thread about it here once it arrives and I try it.

nectresse.com
  • samlankford
    Options
    once in a BLUE MOON I will add splenda to my tea but have not had that in a great while... I usually use truvia or stevia if I want something sweetened, but again, so rare since I like my coffee black and unsweetened, too warm out to make tea, and I never add to fruit...
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's ever a bad idea to skip the chemicals if you can. I stopped putting sweetener in my coffee, and now once I got used to it, I find I prefer it that way. Sometimes I do put a bit of cinnamon in the filter with my ground coffee, which gives a nice flavor and a hint of sweetness.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Fair warning: any topics related to "Does organic matter" or "Are artificial sweeteners" toxic create a **** storm on here.

^^too true.

In my opinion, anything that has the word "artificial" in it sends a red flag to my brain. I'd rather control my sugar in take than give my body stuff it doesn't recognize. Do your research, form your own opinion =)
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    :smile: If you feel it will work for you go for it just make sure you choose the no calorie ones such as Spenda or Truvia
  • EKK0220
    EKK0220 Posts: 6
    Options
    I learned I have a very bad reaction to fake sugars so I never eat them. I try to limit sugar altogether but it's tough. I recommend Truvia (natural sugar substitute) and tastes great. Also learned, most yogurt has artificial sweeteners...I do Greek, they don't.

Lastly, Agave nectar works great to sweeten things like hot cereal. Not that you asked but someone else might be interested...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have issues with the "here eat this chemical, it's better for you" mind set. However, I also rarely eat white sugar, as it is also highly processed. Raw cane sugar is my personal preference.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Cane sugar is what I use to because I actually know where it comes from. I know way to many people who get sick off of the other sweeteners so I stick with the real deal! I also use honey and maple syrup to add sweetness and flavour!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've switched over to Truvia and Stevia in the Raw for about a year. I am still experimenting with SITR in regards to baking. But with Truvia, I NEVER use a full packet in one sitting. I use about a fourth per item - usually my tea in the morning, and my tiny cup of coffee at the office. It's pretty sweet tasting to me. Plus, it's a bit expensive, so maybe using it sparingly has saved me in the long run.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I use them. But, if you don't feel comfortable, don't use them.
  • bpunky
    bpunky Posts: 2
    Options
    I personally cannot stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. I would use Truvia for baking, once in a while. But otherwise, I just try to reduce the amount of sugar I use. Like others have said, for the large majority, artificial sweeteners are terrible for you! Also, try raw unprocessed cane sugar.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. I would use Truvia for baking, once in a while. But otherwise, I just try to reduce the amount of sugar I use. Like others have said, for the large majority, artificial sweeteners are terrible for you! Also, try raw unprocessed cane sugar.

"artificial sweeteners are terrible for you"

Do you have proof of this?
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, anything that has the word "artificial" in it sends a red flag to my brain. I'd rather control my sugar in take than give my body stuff it doesn't recognize. Do your research, form your own opinion =)

^^^ this^^^
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Totally a personal decision.

As for me, based on my own personal research and general approach to what I eat, I will not use them.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I bought some Truvia and I think it is disgusting, I really think it tastes like liquorice.
    I am sticking to Brown Sugar in drinks now. I put any on cereal anyway and can't bake to save my ar$e so that is no problem for me
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If you've gone from 2 to 1, keep going to zero, and drink it black.
    Then, you don't have to worry with it.
    I used to put bunches of cream AND sugar in it, then did the same thing: started reducing the amount.
    Been drinking it black for about 20 years.
  • samlankford
    Options
    yup put cinnamon in my coffee around the holidays... taste christmasy to me
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would stick with natural sugar...try STEVIA. Lasts a long time.
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't trust artificial sweeteners. And I can't tolerate their flavor either.
    I use packets of Raw sugar in my coffee. Once in a awhile I'll use Nectresse in my tea. Nectress is "supposedly" a natural sweetener from Monk fruit (I had never even heard of such thing). It's aftertaste is not as bad as some other sweeteners.

In smoothies I use honey or real maple syrup.

There is just too much that is unknown about artificial sweeteners and they scare me a little that's all :)
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Natural and in moderation. What you 'save' on calories eating that stuff, your body may pay for in another direction.