Sugar Substitutes are they worth it????

Options

Replies

• FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners.... how can something that is to make sweet be so bitter!? Eck.... I just go without and I don't miss sugar too badly.
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Stevia Leaf Extract and monk fruit extract are both good (Truvia and Nectrese are the brand names).

I personally prefer the taste of the monkfruit.

I blend it with cane sugar for my lime-aide's. I couldn't tell you how it would be in a hot drink- I hear that chances things.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's ever a bad idea to skip the chemicals if you can. I stopped putting sweetener in my coffee, and now once I got used to it, I find I prefer it that way. Sometimes I do put a bit of cinnamon in the filter with my ground coffee, which gives a nice flavor and a hint of sweetness.

Also cinnamon has been proven to increase metabolism ;)
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Eeeeew, anything that leaves an aftertaste like that can't be that good for you, I use Stevia as much as possible.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners give me a headache. Stevia only in larger amounts so I do use that sometimes. I stick with local sugar, local honey, and real maple syrup (like it came from a tree).
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    RUN! AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THEM!! :-/
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I prefer regular sugar, I don't like the after-taste of the substitues. But I have gotten myself to the point that I don't need sugar in my coffee or tea anymore. If it fits in my calories, I do still enjoy a nice Dunkin Donuts iced coffee with the caramel swirl, instead of sugar. yum yum yumm
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    As for the debate of sugar substitutes...

Firstly there's the point of the toxicity of it.

Saccharin for instance has been proven in rats to actually be carcinogenic - however, no such tests have been conclusive for humans.

There have been proven tests however showing that if you take the calories out of the equation that some sweeteners (namely Saccharin and Aspartame) spark the same hormonal reaction (i.e. insulin spike) that sugar does.

Sucralose and stevia however, don't.

If you absolutely have to have a sweetener and you want to go the no-sugar route, best to go with something that is naturally occurring if you can.

And if not, then take sugar and just try cut down on your sweet tooth ;)
  • apothix
    apothix Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tried the artificial thing for a about 2 days, bought some Xylatol, it was supposed to be a healthy natural sweetner, but apparently it is extremely toxic to dogs, one of our pups decided he was going to help himself to a bit of left over coffee on a nightstand and nearly died from it. After that, that stuff wasn't allowed in my house anymore. We decided to stick with the natural stuff and just tone it down.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of pretty much all artificial sweeteners except for Stevia in the Raw and the actual stevia leaf. I used to grow stevia but it died and I haven't bothered to get a new plant for my garden. I've read about monk fruit and I really want to try the new monk fruit extract sweetener once I run out of stevia.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to cut down on sugar, then I recommend Stevia as a substitute. If you don't really need to cut down, then regular natural sugar is fine in moderation. =]
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're active enough and not diabetic, sugar shouldn't be enough of a concern to you to make this an issue. I'm of the mind that the real thing is best unless your doctor tells you otherwise based upon your specific circumstances.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,

I think I will go back the real sugar and just keep it at a minimum.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I do not use any artificial sweeteners (but I did many years ago when I didn't know better). I'm drinking my coffee with just cream. If I choose to make something sweet, I use raw honey or maple syrup. Even gum for my child I have to special order because all gum in my community have artificial sweeteners. I think there is enough evidence out there to support avoiding them, but others will disagree. It's up to you.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Saccharin for instance has been proven in rats to actually be carcinogenic - however, no such tests have been conclusive for humans.

There have been proven tests however showing that if you take the calories out of the equation that some sweeteners (namely Saccharin and Aspartame) spark the same hormonal reaction (i.e. insulin spike) that sugar does.

If you absolutely have to have a sweetener and you want to go the no-sugar route, best to go with something that is naturally occurring if you can.

Mentioning surcalose (Splenda) in the same sentence with stevia doesn't make sense to me. Splenda is a chlorinated sugar molecule, it is no longer sugar, and imo no longer safe to consume. Yes, they've had the most successful marketing campaign in history (imo again) but that doesn't mean it really is "just like sugar". Consume it by all means if one wants to, but I'm hoping people look deeper into things instead of just trusting in the advertisements.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Mentioning surcalose (Splenda) in the same sentence with stevia doesn't make sense to me. Splenda is a chlorinated sugar molecule, it is no longer sugar, and imo no longer safe to consume. Yes, they've had the most successful marketing campaign in history (imo again) but that doesn't mean it really is "just like sugar". Consume it by all means if one wants to, but I'm hoping people look deeper into things instead of just trusting in the advertisements.

You do understand that the poster was pointing out that both sucralose and stevia have the same effect on insulin levels, right? The poster was not saying they are both natural.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    No substitutes. Go with honey or maple syrup (the real stuff!)
  • Shadowsan
    Options

You do understand that the poster was pointing out that both sucralose and stevia have the same effect on insulin levels, right? The poster was not saying they are both natural.

It's nice that some people read the whole post before commenting, huh?

I'm not talking about the natural vs. man-made debate - we take drugs every day that are synthesised - and with everything comes risk.

If you're really concerned about that - then it's natural or bust.

However if you believe the weight of scientific research that indicates that using sweeteners are no more dangerous than say, taking paracetamol - then you go for the ones that have a) not had test results that indicate anything like a cancer risk, and b) take the one that reduces the chance of an insulin spike.

Let's bring this risk vs reward thing into perspective here. You could use a sweetener that may have _some_ sort of risk down the line (though sweeteners have been around for decades and there aren't many examples worldwide, you be the judge) - You could also cross a road tomorrow and get hit by a car.

The statistical probability of you dying from sweetener use vs dying crossing a road is pretty heavily weighted against crossing the road...

...So using sweeteners is probably one of the least of your concerns in life really.

If you're really concerned - use science to help you (i.e. the bit I posted before) - else don't worry about it. There are more important things in life to worry about!
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have bought Truvia (as mentioned previously) and i thought it was natural...
    Oh no it isn't.. Its got a few not so natural things in it itself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truvia
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

It's nice that some people read the whole post before commenting, huh?

I'm not talking about the natural vs. man-made debate - we take drugs every day that are synthesised - and with everything comes risk.

If you're really concerned about that - then it's natural or bust.

However if you believe the weight of scientific research that indicates that using sweeteners are no more dangerous than say, taking paracetamol - then you go for the ones that have a) not had test results that indicate anything like a cancer risk, and b) take the one that reduces the chance of an insulin spike.

Let's bring this risk vs reward thing into perspective here. You could use a sweetener that may have _some_ sort of risk down the line (though sweeteners have been around for decades and there aren't many examples worldwide, you be the judge) - You could also cross a road tomorrow and get hit by a car.

The statistical probability of you dying from sweetener use vs dying crossing a road is pretty heavily weighted against crossing the road...

...So using sweeteners is probably one of the least of your concerns in life really.

If you're really concerned - use science to help you (i.e. the bit I posted before) - else don't worry about it. There are more important things in life to worry about!

No need to be rude. I did read the post and I took it as equating Splenda with Stevia as both being better, that's all, and it's possible that I misunderstood you. I'll refrain from responding in depth to this latest post, which is just getting ridiculous imo, except to say that I don't use paracetamol (aka acetaminophen, Tylenol) either. I don't think dying in an accident is at all comparable to knowingly consuming toxic substances, IMO.