Looking for some friends to rally with!!

Options
Hi Im 42 and I need to lose 45 lbs .I am beginning a new chapter in my life and looking forward to some great experiences particuarly wearing a bathing suit! I do good during the day but my husband works at night and I get bored and eat....any suggestions>??

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have the same problem. i have great will power during the day but then for some reason at night I'm not so good. What i try to do is save more of my calories during the day so I can use them up at night. And I've been getting better at just fighting the temptations. Drink water. And sometimes a diet coke helps with my hunger too. And when I do snack I'll make myself a 100 calorie bag of popcorn or something like that. :)
  • ema21043
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and best of luck on your goal. My husband too works at night and in the past i wouldn't bother to cook dinner, I would just graze and munch all night. Since October I have lost 40, I have tried to make a healthy dinner each night and tell myself nothing after 8pm even if I have calories left over for the day. I work on crafts or chat alot on my computer to keep my hands and mind occupied and not thinking of food. :smile:
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I hate when I am bored. I love to watch certain shows each night. but I am usually working. If i am home, about an hour after dinner, i will work out. my family still wants to watch tv so I got a step for step aerobics and just do marches in place or use the step and travel. during the commercials, i drink my water. when i am done, i have had a good exercise not necessarily a huge aerobic one but just enough to keep me moving and motivated for the night. I usually try to put on a pedometer and try to do at least 10,000 steps during that time.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Welcome. My husband is working on his Ph.D. so he is often not home/available at night. I cook a dinner for my daughter and I and after she goes to bed at 7:30pm I brush my teeth so I am not temped to continue to eat. I then curle up in the room furthest from the kitchen and read. It keeps my mind away from food.

Good Luck.
  • rosemarymichelle
    Options
    Hi Gail,

My weakness is always the weekend. I do so well throughout the week staying at or under my calories and working out at night. Then the weekend comes and EVERYONE wants to eat out, including me! Even when I try to do good, I end up messing up. For example, I went to Red Robin with every intention of doing good. I got a grilled chicken and when I came home and looked up the nutritional facts, I was floored! If I had known beforehand, I would have known that asking them to leave off two sauces would have saved me ~30 grams of the ~40 grams of fat that grilled chicken had!

So the one thing I am learning is to be prepared. If you wait until you are hungry and wanting to snack to decide how you are going to handle it, you have waited too late. You know now that nighttime is not your friend, so right now plan what you will be snacking on. Better yet, go ahead and put it on your food list so you know exactly how many calories you are going to eat and hold yourself to it! Then you can play around with what foods will give you the most "bang for your calorie buck".

Wishing you the best,

Rosemary
  • vfigg
    vfigg Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I am 46 and starting to become a new me. I wish you the best of luck on your endeavor. I know it is going to be a long tough road. It took me 46 years to get into this shape and I have to realize it will take me a while to get into shape, no over night miracles!! I started a horse boarding stables in 09 and I am glad. The boarders are young and keep me out riding. I enjoy their company also.
  • Gailmarie
    Options
    Thanks! that is really good advice, I do crafts too plus the computer...I guess I will hav e to become more stringent and try to eat healthier more filling meals.
    I have a goal and really need to meet it. This is for me and I get that now.