Knees

Options
Yesterday I did squats and lunges after walking, and today OMG! My left knee is killing me and is a little swollen! Any ideas on causes? It didn't hurt last night but this morning when I got up, OUCH! Anyone have this problem and what are some at home cures for sore knees?

Replies

• 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    My doctor advised me for both squats and lunges not to let the lower leg go beyond a vertical position. If you go too far (like how a baseball catcher squats) he said it would cause me pain in my kneecaps. Of course, I'm 62 so wha my knees (62 yr old man) are like and what yours are like are probably not the same. :laugh:
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Stretch before you work out. You might also want to try some exercises to strengthen the muscles that support the knee, the quadriceps, hamstrings, hip abductors and adductors. If your knee is swollen you might want to give it a break today and ice it.... don't push too hard or you might really hurt yourself.
  • Jennfit
    Options
    All post are very good points, however, you wanna never stretch on cold muscles. When doing squats and lunges keep the knees in line with the heals, in which you should be pressing through. Also try a foam roller chances are your IT band is very tight and in great need of stretching. When they ache try ice it usually helps temporally.
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    One of things I learned from the ChaLean Extreme dvd's is, when doing a lunge, make sure your lunging
    far enough. The shorter the distance, the more pressure you put on your knee.

Doug