Exercise for low back

Options
Any exercise ideas for lower back pain? I can't do any of my Jillian Michaels DVD's without waking up at night in excruciating pain...I am doing a little pilates, walking, and stationary bike but the pain is wearing me out and I'm losing motivation. :sad:

Replies

• danelle25
    Options
    try doing deep water aqua fit at your near by pool. It helps me! Its a great workout with very low impact.
  • Jennfit
    Options
    Floor prone cobra, cat stretches, anything to strengthen abdominals, supermans on the floor, back extensions on stability ball, and the back extension machine. I hope these help
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I herniated two discs (L3/L4 and L4/L5) back in November. The best thing you can do for low back pain is core strengthening. Without a strong core, your lower back doesn't have the support it needs to keep you upright. More than half of women don't have good core stability, especially after having kids. The exercises I do, of course, are tailored specifically to my injury, but they all involve engaging the transversus and multifidus muscle groups.
  • cktb4him
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! A friend of mine recommended a chiropractor which I'm planning on seeing but I definitely feel it is a muscle sprain or strain and at night it turns into muscle spasms. Working my core seems to have really helped along with low impact cardio...the jumping jacks and running hurt so bad!! Is that true for you all with back issues? And have any been to the chiropractor or does the orthopedic doc do the most PT rehab exercises? Just wondering.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say that I dont have any answers for you.
    I am also here looking for answers. I also have lower back pain that I think is muscle related not spinal.
    Constant nagging pain, on left side, just feels like muscles are soooo tight then once in awhile they feel like they spasm.
    I have been doing the "Slim in 6" DVD's. I have only been doing this for 1 week and I am still on the first tape"start it up" BUT, I have already noticed a lessening of my back pain.
    I dont know if the two are related or not, but I am working my core as a previous poster suggested. So if you are able to I would also suggest that, since your abs are opposing muscles to your back it just makes sense that if your abs( or other core muscles) are not strong your body does not have the strength to stabilize your back?? Maybe? does that make sense.
    If you could got to a chiro or a professional I would do so, dont want to injure yourself worse.

Whatever you decide to do GO SLOW! I just tried to do an additional 10 minute ab tape yesterday and a 10 min stretching and pulled something on the OTHER side of my back and so now I am forced to do the treadmill for a couple days :grumble:
    Good luck I hope you find something that will work for you,
  • cktb4him
    Options
    Ughh...I did learn the hard way last week to go slow. I was working my core and back and my DVD had me doing the back exercises with 3lb weights. I thought I needed to move up to the 5 lbs and ohhhh what a big mistake. i couldn't sleep and felt like I was back to square one. Definitely need to go slower as I gain strength and I do see a good difference when working the core and back muscles. The pain is better -as long as I don't overdo it! Thanks everybody!!
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of lower back pain (I suspect my bed as a contributor). What helps me is making sure I'm really warmed up before working out. Hip circles while standing feel pretty good to me. Also, hugging your knees to your chest (lying down, pull them up one at a time, then both) and then circling them around like that feels pretty good, too. You could try a heating pad for like 10 minutes when you first get up, too.

While working out, I make a point of tightening my abs - the lower ones in particular - any time I will be bending or doing plank poses or anything that puts me off balance. Bending your knees a bit helps take off the strain, too.

Modified Supermans (lie on your stomach and alternate lifting left arm/right leg then right arm/left leg) are good for the lower back, but REALLY hard when you need it most. That's the one my doctor always tells me to do.

Spinal twists (gently!) either sitting or lying down are good *after* working out (when you're all warm).

If you're standing or walking for a while and your back starts to bug you, try putting your foot up on something (grocery cart under-rack, a light-post base, a chair, anything that will raise your foot 6-12 inches off the floor).

I've done the chiropractor. He helped for a day or two after each time I saw him. I've been to PT many times. I've been on muscle relaxers and anti inflammatories. I joined Massage Envy and go 1-3 times a month (sometimes it's the only thing that will kill a bad spasm for me).

But I've found building my supporting muscles has helped more than anything else. That means concentrating on abs (especially lower), hips, and butt.

Good luck!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I also have lower back issues. My favorite that helps me a ton is this:

While sitting in a chair, cross your legs by placing your ankle on the opposite knee then gently lean forward from the hips while keeping your back straight. Hold for up to 30 seconds and repeat on the other side. Do this when ever you feel tension in you back. You will feel the stretch in your butt mostly. My PT explained that tight hamstrings and leg muscles put extra strain on the lower back.

Besides that, core exercises are miracle workers.

Holly