"Slave to the scale"?

Options

Replies

• MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My mirror lies to me.. I HAVE to weigh at least every few days.. when I put the scale away, I found myself almost 50 pounds heavier.. so, for me, it is a MUST! It is what keeps me honest.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice day - morning and night - but I'm not obsessive about it. For me, it's a another piece of motivation and helps to keep me on track. It's not a big deal if I forget so I'm not obsessive about it don't feel like I'm a slave to the scale.

Actually, the doctor makes me feel more like I'm a slave to the scale. I've been on a weight plateau lately but I'm continuing to lose inches and my clothes are fitting better so I know I'm toning up, and all the doctor can see is the number on the scale - making me feel like I've been slacking when I've really been working my butt off in the gym. :ohwell:
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm a slave to the scale because I'm neurotic and I like numbers. Even though its not accurate and at all. It tells you nothing about whats going on in your body, only what you weigh. Doesn't take into account undigested food, whats in your bowels, if your retaining water or not, or if your muscles are full, of the amount of fluid in your bladder. It's a wicked little thing.

But I'm still obsessed with it. I do try to stay off at that TOTM.

:(
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I weigh daily too...like the others who mentioned staying accountable keeps them on track that day...that's me too. I see patterns and a slight gain doesn't affect my mentally. I work hard anyway.

As for measurements instead...that would kill me...my waist measurement is so inaccurate because of the flabby skin moving around. I have lost 2 pant sizes and not an inch off my waist...well my measurement system sucks. Lol

I only log losses on MFP though...never a gain. And only count it as a loss if it was a before breakfast weigh in. I do track my daily weight on a different app.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    I went for years never weighing myself. It is a great way to keep lying to yourself. for sure. That is how you get fat....weighing everyday...is a true read on where you are.

As I try to lose another 20 to 25 pounds...I'll weigh myself every week or two so I won't let the number run my life.

BUT -- ..when I reach goal and want to maintain..I will weigh every day..so the weight doesn't creep back on me.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I've read that successful maintainers weigh regularly.
  • blakeevan04
    blakeevan04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The scale is one of many tools I use to track my progress..... I weight my self once every two weeks or so .. I rely on other things like pictures, measurements, how I feel, how I perform while working out, how my clothes fit etc etc......

The people who get jacked up on the numbers are those who make posts on MFP freaking out because they gained an ounce since the last time they weighed themselves 10 minutes ago. ... Don't be one of those.

That was funny (and true!!)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's one data point. That's all. It can tell you something. It's not useless.
  • haluise
    haluise Posts: 3
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. I think it's important to check in daily to stay on track.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am checking measurements with my tape measure once per week and using a scale about once every 2-3 weeks. I have been losing more inches than pounds, so it is a better motivator for me to do it that way.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I personally plan on remaining attached to my scale for the time being. (I happen to be one of the few who believes that measurements are far more inaccurate than a scale.)

Can you share how? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious about that. It could be that I need to rethink my strategy, but I always thought measurements were a more realistic approach to tracking how healthy one is.

I think the only way that could be the case is if the person is measuring in a different spot each time.
  • Amb_er100
    Amb_er100 Posts: 104
    Options
    In this moment i'm trying to give up scale.It's kinda weird but to me it became addictive . Started using myfitnesspal just 7 days ago and i decided not to check my weight until today morning and i was actually really satisfied of myself and my weight which is getting better by the way and i've planned to check just every monday morning after peeing ,of course :)
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's one data point. That's all. It can tell you something. It's not useless.

I definitely didn't say it was.
  • jshinoff
    jshinoff Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I personally plan on remaining attached to my scale for the time being. (I happen to be one of the few who believes that measurements are far more inaccurate than a scale.)

Can you share how? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious about that. It could be that I need to rethink my strategy, but I always thought measurements were a more realistic approach to tracking how healthy one is.

I think the only way that could be the case is if the person is measuring in a different spot each time.

Measuring yourself is a procedure filled with potential for error and/or biases, weighing has no error or bias. If you're trying to track body composition changes then use a device intended for that purpose.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

When you are extremely obese (like I am), your body composition shifts as you lose weight. Sometimes it feels like the fat is just free floating in there, one day on my legs, the next day on my rear :) Also, because of the fat, I'm squishier and it's pretty easy to be inconsistent with the tape measure & how tight it is. I do measure, but it's every couple of months. I also weigh myself every day, like familiar. It's forcing myself to get used to the natural fluctuations on the scale, and not freaking out about every little temporary gain - that way I keep my eye on the big picture.
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Measuring yourself is a procedure filled with potential for error and/or biases, weighing has no error or bias. If you're trying to track body composition changes then use a device intended for that purpose.

Good point! The scale definitely doesn't lie.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I swing between weighing daily when I am on track, and not weighing for weeks when I have had a bad week. I find my mood is very much controlled by the number when I go on the scale, and my self worth becomes far too intertwined with it. If I have gained, I end up feeling worthless and weak. If I have not gained or have lost, I feel relaxed and happier. The scale isn't really my friend, for that reason.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    The scale is one of many tools I use to track my progress..... I weight my self once every two weeks or so .. I rely on other things like pictures, measurements, how I feel, how I perform while working out, how my clothes fit etc etc......

The people who get jacked up on the numbers are those who make posts on MFP freaking out because they gained an ounce since the last time they weighed themselves 10 minutes ago. ... Don't be one of those.

I myself weigh in weekly b/c I know weight can fluctuate - my hubby weighs in daily (sometimes 2-3 times) and gets SO upset when the numbers fluctuate (can be 10lbs going either way - he is VERY tall and we think fluid is to blame). Today is day one of me hiding the scale for one week so I hope it goes well.

I like to weigh in once per week to see how the week went and it helps me stay accountable - i find that when I don't weigh in, i fall off track a lot easier
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly and take measurements and body fat monthly. Now that I've reached maintenance, I'm continuing to lose inches and BF even though my weight remains the same (I allow a 3 pound range since other things are at play like water weight, TOM, the scale just being goofy, etc.). The measurements have now become much more meaningful than the scale, but if I gain above my 3-pound range, I reel in the calories and am able to get back to maintenance very quickly.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I like being that slave -
    A low number gives me encouragement to keep going.
    An unexpectedly high or not reduced number makes me try harder.

Win-win for me.