counting calories for life?

Options
I am comitted to becoming healthy and keeping the weight off and I know in order to do that I have to make a complete change in my lifestyle meaning consuming less calories and exercising more. But does that mean that I will be stuck counting calories for the rest of my life? I kinda feel that is no way to live. I realize I have to do that now to reach my goal weight and I do not plan to go back to eating the way I used to but once I reach my goal how could I maintain it without literally counting every calorie I consume?

Replies

• JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I think after a while you will just know what size portions to have and not have to weigh everything and count, at least I hope so!!

Welcome and good luck:smile:
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I personally think that doing a "diet" like this will give you the tools and foster a healthy life CHANGE. That change will give you the common sense to make healthy decisions through out your life. You wont need to count calories for the rest of your life but the knowledge you gain here will stay with you and give you a feeling of what a good caloric day is and when you have gne over board. I hope this helps and you find success here!
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I agree with Amy. Atfer a while you will get used. You probably have to count the calories when you make a new meal and buy a new product but other than that I think you will be okay.
  • brystonsmama
    Options
    I agree with JustAmy, once you do it enough, it becomes embedded in your memory. It will become second nature.

Good Luck :happy:
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, we built the bad habits in our life! This is just a tool to correct those bad habits!
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Even after maintaining my weight loss for 18 months, i still have to log my food. if i don't it gets out of control very quickly. perhaps that's just me though.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It does get easier!!! I lost to the point I was comfortable and maintained for about 6 months...then foot surgery messed up my activity routine, Fall and cold weather, life in general started me back down the road to bigger clothes and the life of a couch potato. So...I'm back, counting calories and pushing myself to MOVE. BUT..my answer is NO...when you have things where you want to be, and you can 'feel' what is the right amount to eat, then you can try life without constant counting. You will get to a point where your favorites are easy to find and logging is routine and automatic. You'll really begin to know what works for you and what won't.

One of the wonders of this site is the "OMG:noway: factor", when you enter something new and gasp in horror at the sheer number of calories in something you had thought would be ok. (2 chili dogs are a day's worth of calories..yipes!!!)

BUT, it's wonderful to be able to come back here when, (and if) you need to, any time, as many times as you need to. ( A HUGE thanks to Mike who has made this all possible!!!!!) And find folks who you know and new friends who will support you. I'll keep coming back until someday it truly IS automatic.
  • CherylGirl50
    Options
    I have been counting calories for a number of years and find it to be quite helpful. You get so good at it until you just know the calories of literally everything without having to look them up. My friends call me now and just randomly ask me the calories in a food and I can rattle it off the top of my head just like my personal phone number. Then again, I guess that's a little scary because I do believe that I am "CALORIE OBSESSED"!