Sweet Potatoe Fries

Options
Any good recipes?

Replies

• mrsgiffin
    mrsgiffin Posts: 122
    Options
    I got my recipe out of the biggest loser family cook book! I love it!!!
    Its called Rosemay Sweet Potato Steak Fries
    The recipe calls for 2 lbs of sweet potatoes- for me and my husband i cut up 3 med size ones
    1 tablespoon of minced garlic
    1 table spoon of dried rosemary
    1 1/2 teaspons of evoo
    salt to taste
    I didnt use the rosemary with mine because I didnt have any and they were still good
    You cut the sweet potatoes up into fries(I did thick fries) put them in a bowl and mix all of the ingredients (except salt) together in a bowl
    preheat oven to 450F
    place the fries on a nonstick cookie sheet where they are not touching each other
    bake for 10 to 15 mins and then flip over and cook for another 10 to 15.
    They were really good!!
    There is another sweet potato recipe that I love too! Its like a baked potato but with sweet potatoes
    You get a med size sweet potato and stick it with a fork 5 times on each side. Cook in microwave for 5 mins on each size. If it is still hard after that cook for 1 to 2 more mins. Then fix like a baked potato and use the spray no calorie butter and one wedge of the laughing cow light garlic and herb cheese. It is so good and only 166 cal, 5 g protein, 31 carb, 2g fat, 1g sat fat, 5g fiber
  • JerseyJoe
    Options
    I'd love to find out too! After having sweet potato fries, regular fries are just "filler".
  • danisue68
    Options
    Yep!!

Raw sweet potatoes, cut into french fry pieces with skins on (3-4 whole)

olive oil (I use about 1 tbsp)
    1 clove garlic
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    1 Tbsp dried parsely
    sea salt
    black pepper

Mix spices together. Drizzle oil onto raw potatoes in a large bowl. Stir in spices. Bake at 450 for about 20 minutes on foil lined cookie sheet sprayed w/ olive oil pam.
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    love sweet potato fries, like mine a bit spicy with seasoning like cayenne pepper, then dip in ketchup
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    thanks, i'll be making some tonight.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I cut into wedges, spray olive oil pam on them, and sprinkle salt, pepper, paprika and cumin on them! Holy goodness!
    Cook in a superhot oven (475)

Sometimes they come out a little hard, but I microwave the taters for about 3 minutes, then cut them up! Yum!
  • cashmandue
    cashmandue Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    All of the above, but you can also add chili powder as it "carmalizes" a little and provides a little kick.

Oh, and I do the "shake and bake" method: add the spices and a tiny bit of EVOO to a large ziplock, add the potato wedges to the ziplock and shake to coat the potatoes. I just find it's easier and I'm kind of lazy that way. :)
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    all of these sound so good
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    To all those who posted recipes, do your "fries" get crispy? I have tried doing SPF with no crisp, but I'd like the crisp.
  • cashmandue
    cashmandue Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If I slice them extremely thin and cook longer, they will get "crispy", but then again, if I do that, some of them burn. :(
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Reviving an old thread to say that I made sweet potato fries tonight for dinner and YUM! I have a new favorite food. I've never really liked sweet potatoes before, but I think that is because they are often cooked with sugar and they are just too sweet for me. However, after having sweet potato fries at some restaurants in town, I decided to try them on my own. I cut them pretty thinly and tossed them with olive oil and a spice mixture of powdered garlic, onion, chili pepper and paprika. They didn't get crispy like the deep fried ones in restaurants, but they were still delicious. I dipped them in about 2 tablespoons of fat free greek yogurt mixed with Sriracha. So. Good.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump this for later thanks. -katie
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    The ones in the restaurants where I get 'em usually have cinnamon, so I've started just putting them in a bag with some olive oil (maybe 1/2 tsp) and some cinnamon (a shake or two from the container), and pop them in the oven. I haven't gotten mine super crispy, but they get close enough for me to be satisfied.
  • mocorbin
    mocorbin Posts: 24
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what "bump" means? As in "bump for later". Thanks.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I make these a lot and my recipe is super easy, just requires one special ingredient, a spice called Garam Masala.

I cut them into fries, drizzle a little olive oil on them, then add a generous amount of garam masala seasoining (an indian seasoning that's kind of smokey and sweet) and roast them in the oven at about 400 degrees until they start to just burn on the edges about 30 minutes or so, but everyone's oven is different (I like them well done!). You can sub cajun seasoning for the garam masala too. I've done that before and it's also pretty yummy.

Every time I make them for friends, they rave about them.

Oh, and bumping is just moving an older post to newer so that it gets more views and comments.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I cut mine up and throw them in a large ziplock bag with a splash of olive oil, a dash of salt and pepper and some rosemary. I bake at 450 for about 15-20 minutes each side (flipping halfway). I remove them from the pan and let cool a little on a cooling rack, which helps crisp them up a little.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what "bump" means? As in "bump for later". Thanks.

Hi :happy:
    Reading through the recipe ideas and saw your post.

In case your question hasn't been answered yet- Bump is a term that can be used for several reasons, if you want to bump the thread to read later, or you really enjoyed the thread and want to bump it for others to see later. It also can be used to drop it over into 'My Topics" so you have it and it doesn't get lost on your with all the other threads.

Hope that helps a bit? :flowerforyou:
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump - sounds yummy!
  • krys7979
    krys7979 Posts: 1
    Options
    Great Sounds wonderful, Can't wait to try them!!! :bigsmile: