New on MFP

Options
Joined MFP 5 days again, so I'll introduce myself. My name is Linda, set my goal to lose 50 lbs by Christmas. Right now all I want to do is weigh everyday and it is discouraging to me when there is a weight gain. Should I stay from the scales,,,,,,,when should I weigh myself? Does anyone have suggestions? Please help before I give up so soon. I have a low motivation.

Replies

• facess
    facess Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welome ! I'm set to weigh in bi-weekly, my 1st, is Thursday and I've been working very hard, so I'm expecting good news. you should join one of the groups here for support ! try to find one in your area if you can by searching your zipcode , if there are'nt any, choose one in which you have things in common with. the support here is unbelieveable! Please don't get discouraged so soon..... YOU'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN>:flowerforyou: YOU CAN DO THIS.
  • zozie73
    zozie73 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi
    Second attempt at a reply as I got distracted by my son and managed to lose my reply.

Don't give up.
    I would suggest only weighing yourself once a week and on the same day and at about the same time wearing the same or very few clothes. I weigh myself first thing in the morning and with very little on, that way I can't make excuses about my weight - it because I'm wearing this, its because I had a big breakfast etc, you know the ones.
    I've been on lots of different weight loss programmes and this is the first one where I have felt in control right from day one, no one telling me I have to eat this or I can't eat that. And rather shockingly I've started going for a run with some other mums on a sunday morning whilst my son is at rugby training.

Good luck x
  • littlelady62
    Options
    Thanks facess you have lifted my spirits.....so now I must set other goals as well as weight loss. Have a good evening.:smile:
  • littlelady62
    Options
    Thanks zozie73 your reply has been very helpful.....so on with my goals.. Have a good evening!!!!:blushing:
  • bthumudo
    bthumudo Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd be more then happy to be added. Nothing better then a solid support system!
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and I measure every other week. If you haven't done your measurements yet, you really need too. because sometimes the scale just won't go down...but when I measure my self I'm smaller :)
  • ckeys2008
    Options
    Please don't give up!! It's just the beginning. I weigh in every Sunday morning, right before I step into the shower (in my birthday suit) so there's no reason to second guess the number on the scale. Don't focus on the number, focus on the food and exercise and the numbers will drop. I'm new to this site as well, a girlfriend turned me on to it. I'm not in it to loose a ton of weight , just a little and to get back to the healthier version I was before I had 2 kids. So you can add me if yo like. :-)
  • richellmybell
    Options
    Newbie here myself :)
    They say that you should weigh yourself once a week in the morning before you eat breakfast. Measure yourself every other week. I too get discouraged and want things to change quickly. I am not very patient when it comes to losing weight.

I quit smoking last December and put on over 30 lbs. in the process. I am happy to be an ex-smoker, but will be happy when I feel better about myself and getting the weight off. hopefully by my 1 year smoke free anniversary, I will be closer to my goal weight.

quitting smoking and losing weight are tough battles. you need to hang in there and be strong every minute of every day.

You can do it!~!
  • ddgma
    ddgma Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new to MFP. Every Monday morning I make the commitment and say "today is the day"! By noon, I have my hand in a bag of chips! Today is THE day for me! My name is Deb and I'm 47 years old with 5 children (2 step) and a grandmother to a beautiful, fun, sweet, smart 21 month old boy named Deegan! Both of my parents passed away at a very young age. My father was 36 and my mother died 2 years later from a heart attack (38). I DON'T want that to happen to me! I was the youngest and never got to know them. They weren't there when I got married or had my children or grandchild. I want to be around for Deegan and many more grandchildren to come, also for my kids and husband of course! Everytime I put something up to my mouth, I need to think of them and not the quick moment of pleasure the food causes, then comes the guilt! So happy I was introduced to this site by a very dear friend that I finally decided to listen to!
  • BleauBlayzes
    Options
    Hang in there buttercup! Weigh yourself once per week, put the scale away if need be. I'm a scale freak too and I'm really trying to stay away from it for the week - this is my 1st week of separation - not going so well so far. Feel free to add me if you like, I'm more than happy to try to help any way I can! P.S. remember muscle weighs more than fat, weigh yourself at the same time wearing the same thing, and make sure your scale is accurate. Mine needs a calibration every couple days because it gets kicked around...well not by me cause I'm mad at it or anything..=0