Running in cold weather

Options
So, I've just started getting into running in the past month and will be moving further north for university in a week. I go to school in Northern Ontario and live in Southern Ontario. Because I've signed up for the Color Run 5K happening in a month's time, I'm trying to run more outside than on a treadmill so that I don't pass out after ten minutes into the run.

The weather in the area I'll be attending school gets pretty chilly and I'm wondering if any experienced outdoor cold-weather runners have any advice for me? Keeping in mind that I have a student bugdet, what kinds of clothes should I invest in? And any suggestions on layering etc? And how long into fall or winter do you find it possible to run outdoors?

Thanks!

Replies

• Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that if you are standing outside before your run and you aren't shivering lose a layer. Obviously this is when it is cooler out and you want to wear layers.I live in MN and the winters get pretty cool. When run outside I would wear a tank top one long sleeved running shirt and a light weight jacket and cheap thin gloves. If it was really cold I would add ear protection. If it was below 30 degrees I wouldn't run outside. I am too much of a chicken. I hope that it isn't that cold in one month up there! Good Luck!
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I agree that you should be cold when you start - you will warm up once you get moving. I ran right through last winter (but as you know, Southern Ontario had a pretty mild winter so it wasn't that much of a challenge). Down to about -15C, I'd wear a good base layer with a fleece, and colder than that, I'd add a running jacket. On the bottom, tights, with a base layer underneath on colder days. Cheap hats and cheap gloves were fine for me, as I usually take them off.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I ran last winter, but I live in California, so temps here rarely get below freezing. Still chilly though, and I found layers to be the best for me. Light tank or tee, then a long sleeved wicking top - my favorite has a half zip so I can start with it all the way up like a turtleneck, and unzip as I warm up through the run. I bought a few pairs of running tights for really chilly mornings. If it's really cold (by California standards, so maybe near freezing AND windy :tongue:), I might add a light fleece top layer. My ears always get cold, so I have a light fleece head/ear wrap thingy, and thin gloves - those really cheap thin ones worked great for me, and some even have the special finger tips that allow you to use your touch screen on your phone or iPod - very handy.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    wear a hat that covers your ears.
    the tips of your ears WILL get cold.. even if the rest of you is hot from running.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! What? Is there a Colour Run going on in Ontario? I live in Ontario an I am DESPERATE to do one... where? When?

Running in Cold weather is something I need to figure out, too! i am ok with COLD but not ICE.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! What? Is there a Colour Run going on in Ontario? I live in Ontario an I am DESPERATE to do one... where? When?

Running in Cold weather is something I need to figure out, too! i am ok with COLD but not ICE.

the trick with ice.... is to not fall. :p
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I found this link very helpful for determining how to properly dress to run outside in cold or hot.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
  • viki_88
    viki_88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I want to follow this post! I live in Saskatchewan... and I'm new to running but I love it and want to continue in the winter. I don't know if I'll survive -30C runs though... might have to invest in a treadmill.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle running this past winter was my lower face. My jaw would get so cold - sometimes to the point where it didn't want to move when I got home so I could hardly talk! This year I'll be buying a half mask which will also keep my ears warm, although that's not usually an issue for me.

As for the rest of the gear, I have long running pants, a long sleeve t-shirt and a light jacket. That usually gets me through the 40's and if it's colder than that, I'd rather go to the gym. :)
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I LOVE COLD WEATHER RUNNING!!! i prefer like 20-30 degrees but as long as there isn't too much of a windchill below that is ok too. Have to get cold weather "gear", I thought oh go to target and get cheap stuff... NO don't do it!! Spend the extra and it's worth it! I'll never go back to my cheaper ones now, go to a good running store or a d ic ks sporting goods.
    For 20 degrees and under i like underarmour pants and nike hoodie zip-up with thumb holes. Cover the ears with an underarmour headband and some U/A gloves and your set! you'll need to cover the chin possibly too but that correct jacket/hoodie will zip up to cover it well. it might take a few times to get the breathing down, i have asthma so my lungs hurt the first couple of times but I got used to it quickly. In fact at 20 degrees i tend to have to wear the jacket zipper all the way down after a few miles (but i get warm easily). Embrace the cold weather! This hot and humid summer where I live has me running each mile about a minute longer than usual ugh!
  • j0annagrams
    Options
    I run all winter long; in the snow, in the hail, in the slush, whatever! My general rule of thumb is to dress as it is about 10 degrees (C) warmer than it actually is. I use a head band (something that covers my ears) and gloves which I usually take off after 20ish minutes. If it's below -5 -> -10C, I will wear tight pants that are lined with a thin layer of fleece and material that will wick sweat; something similar in a top. Good luck!
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    There is Color Vibe happening in Ottawa, Color Run in Montreal (registration open) and Toronto now has a ColorVibe "dot" for the location map, but nothing for registration yet! http://www.thecolorvibe.com/locations.php#

I live in Ottawa and run year round. I have 2 Icebreaker shirts for baselayers. Womens 260 Midweight Tech Top which is a long sleeve and a Womens 200 Lightweight sleeveless shirt (which they don't seem to list anymore on their site). I also have a Running Room jacket that is lightweight/wind proof/water resistant. Only on the coldest days have I worn the long sleeve shirt with the jacket. I usually just wear the jacket with the sleeveless from November-March. The days that are too warm for the jacket I usually just wear a long sleeve tech shirt and make sure I get inside or jacketed immediately after I am done running so I don't catch a chill.

The pants I wear for running in colder weather are cross country ski pants. They are warmer material but thin like tights and have a windbreaker material on the front.

I usually wear an icebreaker ear band to keep my ears warm and gloves on the coldest days, but usually just wrap my fingers up in the jacket's hand covers.
  • razz02
    razz02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I live high up in Sweden. I have been running for 10 years. I do it all year around even in snow and ice. Its possible.

The main thing is that you have to be an addiced runner. If you have that you just gear up properly. Noting expensive.

When its above -1 to -8 C . wear long runner trousers(?) and longsleeve shirts for sports and a shelljacket. Don´t forget a cap or a hat to keep you warm in the start. Gloves are really important because the hands tend to freeze when running.

-10 C and under, you have to wear additional shirts and leggings or an undergarnment specially made for sports (nothing fancy) or a merino wool garnment, mittens and a hat will keep the cold out.

Usually the problem is not the cold its the wind, so always wear a shell jacket or a wind breaker.

When there is ice under the snow, it can be really slippery and you don´t want to strain your ancles because it take weeks to recover and during that time its not adviced to run. Wear dubbs. Either buy expensive icebuggs, they are good or buy buggs that you can put on your runnershoes. I use the latter. Some people don´t like running with those. I love the clicking sound it makes, its meditating in my opinion.

Then lastly, its lovely to run in the snowy landscapes, just fantastic. Glistening snow and the warmth of your breath. I haven´t had any issues re. the breathing eventhough its very cold sometimes, I think the body gets used to it. I know some people buy breathing apparatus that heatens the air. But I never tried them. The coldest I´ve been running in is -22 windy. That is really cold. The good thing about the cold is that stopping is not an option. You have to keep on running (to survive)!

Good luck!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I ran through last winter and loved it. However, I am in south east PA, and we had a mild winter - rarely below freezing. I wore Old Navy compression tights, a tank top and a zippered running long sleeve shirt. If it was really cold, I would throw a sweatshirt over that. I never really needed another layer on my legs last winter, but you will in Canada!!! Gloves, and a thing that I wear around my neck and can pull up over my mouth. Breathing in that frigid air at the beginning of the run is painful. Something on your head.

The trick is not to overdress, because it is no fun to get too hot and not know what to do with everything. You should be a little uncomfortably chilly at the beginning of the run!

It made me enjoy winter more and not be afraid of the cold!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Definitely layer. On a budget, I'd go with "performance" base layer (Target has decent stuff from champion, or you can go under armor or similar if you want, but I think that stuff is over priced. If you want to spend the money, go to a running/cycling shop and see what htey have. Craft, Sugio, etc beats under armor, no contenst.

Anyways... go performance next to the skin, then you can get away with cotton layers after that. The problem with cotton is that it loses most of it's warming/insulating ability once it gets wet.

After that, watch out for the wind. Dealing with the cold is fairly easy, but wind can be dangerous.
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I live in Southwestern Ontario, and find winter running the most enjoyable season. Find one good base layer, they have ones that are fleece lined so they are super comfortable. I got mine at TJ Maxx when I was in the U.S for $15. You're base layer should fit close to your skin. If there is room between your skin and the base layer when it gets super cold your sweat will get very cold, wheras if you have your base layer touching your skin the shirt will absorb the sweat and distribute it evenly. Same with your pants. If you can find something with a DWR coating (durable wind resistant) that really helps too.

AND good running socks. When my socks get wet they are completely dry within 5 minutes and I can easily continue my run with dry feet.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I run through the winter as well... but this past winter in Boise was unusually warm. I think my coldest starting run temp. was 25 degrees. I just wear a long sleeved shirt and an ear covering headband and gloves.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You will need

Tights (performance)
    a long sleeve top (compression works best for really cold temps but really you can't wear it alone - well at least I can't due to vanity)
    a pullover of some sort (can be a cheaper one but make sure it is technical fabric)
    mittens - something that wicks!
    a hat - something that wicks
    stretchy $1 gloves from target

You can get
    a neck warmer
    a ninja mask
    spanky undies to under said tights to warm up the area a bit
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I live in Edmonton and run all winter. There's already been a lot of good advice and would agree with everyone that has said that you should start out feeling a little bit cool (the rule of dressing like its 10 degrees warmer is a good one). I think the biggest thing for me was to invest in a couple of good technical layers that wicked away moisture really well - I found this more important for winter running than summer running. I went to the Running Room and got a good pair of winter running tights and a long sleeve base layer - they were an investment but have held up all winter and I'll have them for years. I also bought a pair of YakTrax for some added traction when running on the snow and ice - they are AWESOME!! You can get them at Mountain Equipment Coop and are about $40. Winter running is GREAT - I initially thought I would hate it but I actually like it better than running in the summer - there's nothing better than running on a quite road on fresh snow!!! Good luck!
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump for when it gets cold :)