Advice on Ice-Smushing Blenders, Please!

Options
Hello awesome people! I wanted to ask if people know of blenders that'll turn ice to slush instead of big crunchy rocks in drinks? (Please don't say Vitamix or Blentec though or I'll be very sad- can't afford one of those!) I love my smoothies and blended ice coffees and drinks, but my Breville blender's 'ice crushing' function just bashes the ice about a bit into slightly smaller chunks (and yes I did follow the instructions. >o<)

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I have a Cuisinart Blender/Processor combo that was like 100 bucks and hasn't failed me yet. It obliterates the ice.

For more exhaustive info:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-blender/
    (scroll to the end for the "budget" category)

Another random option: I'm obsessed with snow cones and the like, so I can tell you that you could get a Hawaiian Shaved Ice Machine for like 30 bucks and use it to break up the ice, though it won't make the rest of the smoothie obviously.
  • dhoddy
    dhoddy Posts: 35
    Options
    I haven't tried crushing the ice with nothing else in the blender, but I just bought an Oster (my mom has had the same one for 20 years and it never failed her) and it blends up my shakes rather smoothly! not too expensive either!
  • Tashcake
    Tashcake Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful! I'll probably look further into the Cuisineart one because I don't think I can get Oster ones as easily in the UK. I'd love a snowcone machine too, though! Flavoured snow is awesome.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    The Ninja....80-100 bucks.
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I have the Ninja too. It is the one with a several blades. It works like a charm. I did the "snow" test and it really does work. Turned a bunch of ice into a powdery snow. :)

When I am not using as many ingredients, I use my Magic Bullet. I also have a Bella Blender that was about 20 bucks and it works just as good, if not better, than the bullet.
  • peridot1383
    peridot1383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I have the Ninja too. It is the one with a several blades. It works like a charm. I did the "snow" test and it really does work. Turned a bunch of ice into a powdery snow. :)

When I am not using as many ingredients, I use my Magic Bullet. I also have a Bella Blender that was about 20 bucks and it works just as good, if not better, than the bullet.

This. The Ninja is the greatest thing ever. I have the one that has the cups you blend directly into and the bigger piece for making doughs and stuff.