Anyone been on atkins before this?

Options
I have had a few friends do atkins and couldn't last after the induction and gained all their weight back and then some. I have been on atkins for 2 weeks so far and lost some weight but I miss my sweets and such. I found this site and now want to start couting calories instead. Do you think I will gain the weight back that I just lost from atkins ?

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will gain it back, unless you go eating a bunch of junk, then you probably will.

Have you ever looked into the south beach diet? It teaches you how to incorporate good carbs, so you are not cutting out a food group. I have PCOS and the best option for me suggested by Dr.'s is low carb, but if you go too low carb, is could definitely be hard to follow and then it isn't fitting for a lifestyle change.

Also, I can tell you from personal experience, I have been eating a clean, no processed diet, and this has pretty much knocked out my cravings for all the bad food, you will actually start to crave the good stuff! All while still eating from all food groups, but again because you don't really have convenience foods, gonna be alot of cooking and prep, but definitely worth it!

Good luck to you, if you need any advice or questions, I would be happy to help as much as I can!
  • Idaly51
    Idaly51 Posts: 3
    Options
    I lost 80lbs with Atkins about 6 yrs ago and have probably gained 20 back since. Right now I am trying to drop these 20 and some more just counting calories and so far I have lost 10. I would not do Atkins again cause I did it so strictly I cannot even tolerate the smell of bacon. It makes me sick to my stomach. Try not to eat in between meals unless you are really hungry. Walking 1 hour 5 x week has helped tremendously. Don't give up, you can do it when you want it bad enough. Good Luck!!!! :)
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Since you've only been on Atkins for 2 weeks, most of the weight you have lost is probably water weight. When you add carbs back into your diet, you will regain some or most of this WATER weight because water is used to store energy from carbs as glycogen. Don't let it bum you out too much.
  • valmc81
    valmc81 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you for the responses ladies!
  • lilteepot
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs on Atkins in about 7 months, and then maintained for 2 months before beginning to gain it back... I gained 150% of it back -- and not by eating junk. As soon as you re-introduce carbs to your diet, you'll start to gain. Potatoes. Bread. Grains. I don't consider these foods "junk" but like all foods, they need to be enjoyed in moderation. Atkins is a great way to trick your body to lose weight, but if you're going for healthy loss that you keep off, it's not sustainable in my opinion. Not to mention that it's tough on the kidneys.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    If you watch what you're eating, stay accountable for all your calories, than you will lose it.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 pounds on Atkins and maintained it for close 2 years; however, when I went through a big stress period, I reverted back to my comfort foods and regained it plus some. In the years since then, at my husband's prompting (because it worked well for him), I've attempted it a few times, but it was a challenge mentally/emotionally as I did not want to give up favorite foods such as potatoes. While it does work, and you can lose weight, unless you're willing to give up certain high-carb foods forever, it's probably not sustainable.

I feel that all things in moderation, portion control, saving up/working out for a special treat, nothing off limits approach will be much more effective for me long term, and by choosing to lose weight using a method that is sustainable for me, I've learned new habits that will help keep me successful long term. I love the fact that I can just hop on the treadmill to "earn" more calories before going to a favorite restaurant or splurging on a favorite dessert, whereas with Atkins, a splurge could set me back a whole week...now a "planned splurge" within my macros doesn't throw me off at all.
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs from doing Atkins for a month and kept it off for quite awhile even on a normal diet, I only did Atkins to get to my goal weight and stopped at 146 lbs because I was happy. My husband got laid off and all we could afford was Mr. Noodle and that's when I started gaining it back (and then I got pregnant).

Usually the initial weight you lose on Atkins is water weight, so if you do gain anything back it will most likely be water. I did Atkins again after giving birth, lost 23 lbs and gained 7 back but maintained the rest of my loss. I'm now losing the rest by calorie counting and weight lifting.

The reason I stopped doing it this time is because I just couldn't maintain it anymore. It took me four months to lose the 23 lbs this time because I couldn't stop cheating. It was so restrictive I kept having slip ups.

I think with calorie counting you should still be mindful of carbs, but you will be able to do it longer and have more success keeping it off.
  • sera171717
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose 80lb? I'm on day 6 so a long way to go. Any snack tips? S x