How the hell do I get enough Sodium?

I just added a sodium column on my food diary, and am completely perplexed by it - I'd be lucky if I hit half of what it's trying to get me to hit.

I'm low blood-pressured, and am aware that I should be actively upping my salt (I add soy sauce to most meals...) but I'm looking for creative ways to get more sodium in me.

How done I do sodium? O_o and what are the issues with a low sodium intake?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Has your doctor told you to increase your sodium intake? If not, then don't worry about it. The MFP number is the MAXIMUM you should be getting.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    aah, right. Cheers!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    I just added a sodium column on my food diary, and am completely perplexed by it - I'd be lucky if I hit half of what it's trying to get me to hit.

I'm low blood-pressured, and am aware that I should be actively upping my salt (I add soy sauce to most meals...) but I'm looking for creative ways to get more sodium in me.

How done I do sodium? O_o and what are the issues with a low sodium intake?

copy my eating habits!! lol..my diary is open :-)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    The minimum you should ever have in one day is 500.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    1500 is considered more than adequate, under 500 is getting to low, so if you fall in that range you are fine
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    beware of those database entries that add 0.7g of sodium as 0.7 - it should be 700 as its MGS

i change about 3-4 database entries a day because of incorrect sodium inputs :o(
  • mjvasko
    mjvasko Posts: 37
    I'm constantly going over my max - 2500. Maybe that's why I'm not losing as much as I'd like.

I need to find ways to cut it out.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

Lol, right, thanks doctor.

As always, take everything people on MFP say with a grain of... salt.

Talk to your doctor about it. Believe it or not, even in this high-sodium/highly processed food world, some of us are low in sodium. I have adrenal issues/no thyroid, so my sodium (especially my iodine) is generally low, doesn't affect me if it's high, and I generally need (real, like sea) salt fairly often.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Well, it is in almost everything, and yours is a problem most would like to have.
    Shrimp and shell fish are naturally high in sodium. Pickles, anything pickled really, jerky.
    I try to stay away from processed foods, but there is a lot of sodium in these foods too.
    I am never at my MPF sodium level, but then I am trying to be way under.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    I agree it's important to talk to your doctor. It is possible to have not enough sodium. I get low blood pressure too, and since starting to exercise to the extent that I'm sweating a lot (thus losing more salt from my body), and also eating mainly unprocessed food, and not eating salty snacks, I found I was starting to get some chest pain, faintness and breathlessness. Personally, I've started adding Himalayan crystal salt to my meals and now I feel better again. Himalayan crystal salt is better for you than regular table salt - it doesn't contain cyanide.

Also, something I discovered recently is that in the five days leading up to your period, blood pressure drops quite significantly - and that was the time that I was getting those symptoms. So it's good to consume more salt in that time.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Green Olives work for me. Packed with sodium.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member

Lol, right, thanks doctor.

As always, take everything people on MFP say with a grain of... salt.

Talk to your doctor about it. Believe it or not, even in this high-sodium/highly processed food world, some of us are low in sodium. I have adrenal issues/no thyroid, so my sodium (especially my iodine) is generally low, doesn't affect me if it's high, and I generally need (real, like sea) salt fairly often.

Not doctor, studying to become a Dietician.
    They say inbetween 500-1500 range is good for an average person. But with high/low blood pressure you should always ask your doctor first.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    1500 is considered more than adequate, under 500 is getting to low, so if you fall in that range you are fine
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    I agree it's important to talk to your doctor. It is possible to have not enough sodium. I get low blood pressure too, and since starting to exercise to the extent that I'm sweating a lot (thus losing more salt from my body), and also eating mainly unprocessed food, and not eating salty snacks, I found I was starting to get some chest pain, faintness and breathlessness. Personally, I've started adding Himalayan crystal salt to my meals and now I feel better again. Himalayan crystal salt is better for you than regular table salt - it doesn't contain cyanide.

Also, something I discovered recently is that in the five days leading up to your period, blood pressure drops quite significantly - and that was the time that I was getting those symptoms. So it's good to consume more salt in that time.

One thing that really helps me exercise with low blood pressure (I also sweat heaps) is powerade, gatorade, something like that. They aren't as terrible as they're made out to be and not even massively calorie high. loaded with sodium and I find I can do WAY more gym-wise if I'm drinking that during.
  • opuntia
    One thing that really helps me exercise with low blood pressure (I also sweat heaps) is powerade, gatorade, something like that. They aren't as terrible as they're made out to be and not even massively calorie high. loaded with sodium and I find I can do WAY more gym-wise if I'm drinking that during.

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks.
  • Monicapierce
    Monicapierce Posts: 126 Member
    I dont think that sodium is important enough to make sure you get the full amount, it will actually add some weight onto the scale because of the water. But, if you feel it is necessary(everybody does thing there own way) pickles is a great way to up that number! Regular dill pickles
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Talk to your doctor for sure and make sure it is just sodium you need, blood pressure is pretty complicated and sodium requires correspondingly more potassium. So definitely if you are going to be going over 2500mgs a day then find out if you need addtional help with potassium, calcium and magnesium. That's why the drinks you use are effective, they balance the salts not just sodium.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-blood-pressure/DS00590

Interesting that no where does it mention lots of sodium for low blood pressure but there are a number of issues that can affect sufferers when participating in weight loss and sports, dehydration seems to be a biggie.
  • runiter
    runiter Posts: 3
    I think I need to increase my sodium intake too. I had reduced it over the years hearing about how bad sodium is. But I now think that my thirst and dry mouth problem may be due to low sodium intake.
  • cakewar
    cakewar Posts: 11
    If you need sodium, I would recommend eating cottage cheese. Unlike the suggestions of olives or pickles, cottage cheese is a good source of calcium and protein.
  • opuntia
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-blood-pressure/DS00590

Interesting that no where does it mention lots of sodium for low blood pressure but there are a number of issues that can affect sufferers when participating in weight loss and sports, dehydration seems to be a biggie.

It does mention salt as a treatment - in fact, it's the first treatment it mentions in the list of possible treatments: 'Use more salt'. It does advise to check with a doctor first before doing this though.

All medical sites seem to give the same advice for treating low blood pressure: eat more salt, drink more water, and wear compression stockings.