Tattoos anyone?

Options
124»

Replies

• mss_anthropy
    mss_anthropy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i work as a digital artist and i have lots of tattoos (though most are covered by clothing), facial piercings, gauged ears, a shaved head/ with dreadlocks..... but i also think my "look" is more acceptable in my line of work.
  • natk
    natk Posts: 11
    Options
    I only have two small tattoos, one on each of my wrists. Unfortunalty there is still discrimination about tattoos which is a shame as it is self expression. I love seeing tattoos! But agree if they are offensive then they should be covered but other than that show them off!
  • billynight
    Options
    Everyone does need to relax about tattoos but unfortunately quite a few employers are not cool with them. I cover my arm sleeves for work with Ink Armor: http://www.tat2x.com/

They are comfortable and don't slide down my arm. I love my tattoo and would never remove it. I think as time passes more and more employers will be OK with tattoos but right now it's 50/50.
  • Zelenka06
    Options
    I worked at a k-8 school and I never had to cover mine. I have a half sleeve and one my wrist on the same arm. On my other arm I have my whole forearm covered. one on my ankle, one on the back of my neck, and one on my shoulder blade. All of mine are brightly colored and girlie.I wasn't sure how people would react to them (my family hates them) where I was working at the school, but I never once heard a bad comment about them, Parents would ask if they hurt, or whyy I chose to have so many. I think they should be more acepted, they do not change a person's personality or profesionalism. I love my tats and wouldn't change them for the world!
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    *personally* I have 5, and all of them are VERY easily (and comfortably) covered. I work in a hospital that allows non-offensive ink to be shown, but I work mostly with geriatrics, most of whom are very old fashioned. Therefore I keep them covered. I really think it's fine either way, so long as it's tasteful work. Don't really care to see a horrinly done naked lady on my doctor's arm, but I'd be totally cool if he did have some ink.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos and gauged ears and my company has never given me any trouble about it. I did hide my tattoos for the first couple of months I worked here, but then word got out an everyone wanted to see them. I work in a pretty corporate company as well. I don't deal with customers face to face though, so that might be a different story.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it should be a problem unless it says or shows something offensive. Hopefully one day it'll be okay for everyone to show their tattoos in the work place.

I can't wait! I want to see more zombie face tattoos. This office is so boring.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with visible tattoos in a work setting unless they're obscene. I personally don't like gauged ears but if they aren't excessively gauged I have no problem. I have a bunch of tattoos including an arm piece and plan on getting my half sleeve done before my wedding.
  • pcstephens
    Options
    Think tats are okay, but they are folks that take "self expression" too far. Gauges in the ears? Tongue piercings? Facial piercing? Facial tattoo? I think these are the ones that push the envelope and could very well cost you a job.
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Unless there is something fundamentally offensive about the tattoo in question, I see no reason why it needs to be covered up. It doesn't have anything to do with how well the person does their job...

I agree, i honestly think if we were able to self express more in the job atmosphere we would be more comfortable and possibly perform better.

This is actually one of the guiding principles the company I work for lives by. And they have proven that not only is it true, but our team member happiness is off the charts. Happy employees = job comfort = better service.

Where do you work?
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    tattoos are lame