Processed foods?

Options
Can you lose weight eating processed foods?

So many sites (Jillian Michaels, My Food Lovers, ect) tell you to stay away from Processed foods in order to boost your metabolism. No Hamburger Helper, Miracle Whip, Lunch Meats, Bread, ect.

This is just sooooo hard. Does it have to be this way? Do I really have to eat a certain way or a certain mix of foods at each meal just to lose weight.

I want to eat my 1500 calories and exercise and lose weight. Is that possible with out having to cut out processed foods?

What do you all think?

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    For me personally even with a calorie deficit it was very hard for me to lose weight. Now I eat MORE calories than I did eating processed foods and have lost weight very easily. I understand how hard it can be though to stay away from processed foods. Good luck!
  • Italapps
    Italapps Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I stopped processed foods and lost 40lbs w/exercise and felt so much better, but I support whatever you do!! ; )
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat some - the first time I lost 30 lbs I ate a lot of processed foods. You do really wind up eating less actual food (and a lot more sodium and additives) though. This time around I am trying to eat cleaner more whole foods as much as I can. You can eat a lot more and feel more satisfied this way IMHO. I don't think you need to eliminate anything from your diet, but as you do eat less, I bet you will notice the difference. The last few days I have eaten a lot of junk and processed stuff and I can really feel a difference - less satisfied, more fatigued, more cravings, etc.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    For sure it's possible! But as mentioned, I think a lot of them have more calories/sodium/other ingredients than clean foods you prepare yourself. I eat quite a few processed foods, and you can definitely incorporate them into your diet.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    I think there are two questions...one about losing weight vs. boosting metabolism. I honestly can't say that I've cut out processed foods BUT I can say that I have lost 40 pounds since December. Feel free to add me if you want to take a look at my diary.
  • Jenspark
    Jenspark Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I could just cut calories and lose, but after about 35 that didn't work for me anymore. If I want to lose weight consistently, I have to stick with less processed foods. If I just focus on counting calories, I either don't lose or I lose very slowly. Counting calories is a lot of work to me if I'm not getting good results so I count carbs as well - helps keep me away from the processed stuff.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight.

However, eating less processed foods is far healthier.

Start eliminating processed food systematically, not all at once where you will feel deprived and fall off the wagon.

Surely you can make some small changes that won't leave you feeling anxious?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating nothing but crap food like Hamburger Helper, McDonalds and Subway for every meal, breakfast through dinner. Will you be healthy? No, but you will weigh less. Just because you lose weight doesn't mean you are healthy.

Even before losing weight I was an avid label reader and generally avoided unnatural ingredients, cooked most things from scratch, etc. This still works for me but I recognize that it isn't for everyone and we all have different lives, different priorities and different obligations. My advice is to eat as many real foods as you possibly can, e.g. foods that don't have an ingredient list like produce, meats, etc. It isn't an all or nothing thing- make changes that can reasonably fit into your life. If you used to eat hamburger Helper 3x week, cut it back to one and make your own meat with a spice mixture the other 2x a week instead of relying on boxed stuff. If you used to eat lunch meats every day on a sandwich, cut it back to a couple of times a week.

I am leery of any fitness guru with an all or nothing approach (as in you must eat paleo! You must eat clean! you must drink protein shakes! you must avoid carbs!). I am especially leery of the people on MFP who have embraced a certain eating style (like paleo or Atkins) and now deems everyone else unhealthy who doesn't eat like them. Us former fatties tend to suddenly think we are expert once we find something that works for us. :laugh:

Baby steps are key, as well as making changes you will stick with in the long run.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be that way!

I still eat processed foods daily. Cheese, bread, tortillas, apple juice, lunch meat, jam, all sorts of stuff.
    I just have a healthy mix of what I can afford :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    When I first started out, I switched from eating almost everything processed, to eating nothing processed. Lost 10 lbs in a week, and 17 lbs in a month.

Then I started eating some processed foods again. I stayed under my calorie limit, but gained 7 lbs back.

Now, I've gone back to eating purely "clean" foods, and I'm back down to the full 17 lbs again.

That's all I've got to say on the matter!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've had plenty of success eating processed foods.
  • mama2mila
    Options
    You don't have to give up all processed foods, but as you do, you will feel SO much better! I generally eat clean, and almost never eat out. This past weekend I had too much processed food, and even though I stayed within my calorie range, I feel so sluggish and bloated. Its gross! I can't wait to feel better in a few days after I'm back to my normal way of eating!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I mainly eat whole food. Fruits, veggies, protein, legumes, some grains, seeds, heathly oils and nuts. I also use whey protein. Once a week I have a meal where I eat whatever I want. I feel great, lose weight. Now, if I eat a bunch of processed, sugary food a few meals in a row I'm bloated and feel crappy. It's hard to say, this is bad, this is good. You need to find out what works for you.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

You can start just by eating to your calorie limit and gradually swop heavily processed stuff that is high in sodium and additives for more natural alternatives. Swap sandwich meats for a joint you cooked and sliced yourself (no salt added) - you can slice and freeze so it is ready when you want. Swap white for wholegrain in bread/rice/pasta. Switch premade spice mixes for your own homemade version and don't add salt. Make your soup don't buy it.

Add more fruit and veg to your diet. Up your protein.

Make the swaps one at a time. You'll find you can eat more quantity wise for your calories if you reduce the high calorie portions and bulk meals out with fruit and veg, increase your lean protein portions.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what works for you. I eat a lot of processed foods because I just don't have time to cook and it's better for me than eating out a lot. You do need to be aware of sodium and other additives in them but if you read the labels, you'll be ok. I make sure to choose better options and try to have as many freash fuits and veggies as possible.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes... its calories in and caloires out. I eat alot of processed foods but I workout and do both cardio and weights too.

What motivates me is a twix candy bar, reeses peanut butter cup, or little debbies snack cake at the end of the day.

What does it for you?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight eating processed foods?

So many sites (Jillian Michaels, My Food Lovers, ect) tell you to stay away from Processed foods in order to boost your metabolism. No Hamburger Helper, Miracle Whip, Lunch Meats, Bread, ect.

This is just sooooo hard. Does it have to be this way? Do I really have to eat a certain way or a certain mix of foods at each meal just to lose weight.

I want to eat my 1500 calories and exercise and lose weight. Is that possible with out having to cut out processed foods?

What do you all think?

Maintain a consistent caloric deficit while getting in adequate proteins and fats, profit
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when i ate a lot of processed foods and was under calorie and was working out i didnt lose anything at all. So one week i hate a lot more fresh fruits and veggies and leaner meat and it helped. I didnt realize how much sodium was in them. I cut down on some of my processed foods and have been at a plateau for a lil over a month, im am currently doing a detox for 9 days to shake things up a bit. Will i cut them out completly no, but i will not eat as much of them and start incorporating more cleaner eating. feel free to add me if you like, we will see how my detox goes and if it helps get me past this plateau.