1200 calorie a day people

Options

Replies

• annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    At only 5ft 1" tall, I've had my calories set at 1200 on MFP for almost a year now. I do eat some of my exercise calories back though. I set my calories to maintenance when on holiday for 6 weeks this summer (and still managed to lose 3lbs while away). Apart from those weeks, I have lost on average 1lb a week. I usually find 1200 to be manageable, on the days I don't exercise, and I don't feel hungry, weak, starved etc.
  • Krbrock07
    Options
    I started about 3-4 weeks ago and have lost 7lbs so far. I am on a 1200 calorie a day. At first I really didn't think it would work but would help me journal what I ate. After I started logging and keeping track of what I ate and how many calories I was consuming I was astounded at how many calories I was actually eating. I really don't use this as a diet, I still have times I go over but not by much and not as often. I actually think about what I eat now instead of just eating it. This has helped me become more aware of what I am eating. I started at 230 and have a goal of 140, only 83 more pounds to go!!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    ME< ME< ME I have been on 1200-1300 cals for 2 yrs now and lost 105 lbs, I went to maintenence for awhile and concentrated on strength training but starting today decided to try to lose 10-15 more lbs............
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    OP, you mean net calories, right? MFP has me on 1260 per day. I eat back my exercise most of the time, sticking to around 1200 net. I've been on almost a month and have lost 8 pounds, but I don't know how much of that is just those beginner water pounds. I have definitely had to rethink the size of a normal meal- it is a lot smaller than it used to be! Like the other posters, if I eat really good food, it feels like enough, but I take extra long walks in the evening so I can have my red wine!
  • AngelP74
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 calories and it's working pretty good for me... at least at the weight I'm at. And I have my MFP set to lose 2 lbs a week.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I just started last week on a 1,200 calorie diet and i lost 3 lbs in the first week. I'm just trying to watch what i eat and i walk about 45 minutes a day for my exercise. I find that i rarely eat all 1,2000 calories even though i really try to and i have light snacks throughout the day. I also noticed that i consistently go over my sugar count. Does anyone else have this problem?

Me too on the sugars- I don't even have a sweet tooth! I find if I eat 2 pieces of fruit in a day, I go over on sugars! Eggplant did it one day.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I've been at 1200...and honestly would love to eat more...so I'm exercising now...and I'd love to find out that I could still lose and eat more.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Me and I understand. I am really short and only weight 106 (goal of 105) as of this morning so my BMR is really low and my TDEE is as well. A lot of people dog me too for only eating 1000-1100 calories however my TDEE is 1501 and if I eat 500 less then that it is 1001 calories a day. I am half the size or a third of the size of some people on this board yet they are saying I am starving myself. No, I am just eating for my own height and weight.

I also don’t really eat back my exercise calories or if I do I only eat back 1/2 at the most and that is on a hard workout day or long day. I lost all my baby weight from baby number 2 however want to get really toned and trim and ready before I get pregnant again for number 3. I didn't gain a lot with baby number 2 however would like to be as fit as possible this time around so I will have less to loose. Did the same thing the last time too ;) I am more toned and fit though with this one…. Trying to work off my genetically larger thighs in proportioned to my body, heheh. First thing that goes is my boobs and tummy, heheh.

Eating 1200 calories or less really depends on what your height and weight are. However, if your doctor okayed that then it is hopefully is fine. :) Do not listen to the crazies on here… Opinions are like butts…. Everyone has one and most of them stink! ;)
  • Lopezj6
    Lopezj6 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet too. I'm doing good! I try to eat a 1 salad everyday at lunch. Hard boiled eggs for breakfast are good. laughing cow light cheese and peanut butter, pecans are a good snack for me. I joined an all girls training group. We are training to run/walk a half marathon. We have walkers and runners so I was not intimidated. It got me moving and I am excited to meet 3 times a day with them. I am getting notices about my weight loss and that is a incentive to keep at it. My clothes are loose and I'm starting to shop for mediums oppose to large. I have lost 10 lbs since starting and want to lose 35 more pounds. Good luck everyone. Keep moving and reading the nutrition facts on all food you put in your body.
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 and was losing. I hit a plateau and stopped counting for awhile. I came back and read about the eat more to lose weight and I’ve been at 1350 for the last few months and havent lost. I was thinking of going back to 1200 and see what happens then reevaluate.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    To lose the weight, 1200cals worked for me. I reached 112lbs in 6 months.

To maintain, I am now at 1450calories. I will stay there till my triathlon is over, afterwards, back down to 1200calories. I want to see what I will look like at around 106lbs, 20% - 19% body fat.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It's a classic "different strokes for different folks" thing. I did 1200 for 2 days before giving up and eating more. 1200 does NOT work for me. Does that mean it doesn't work at all? No! It just means I have different dietary needs. My TDEE is 2400. I'm eating between 1700 and 1900 a day on non workout days and am loosing just over a pound a week.

If you feel good, are loosing at a slow, healthy pace and aren't hungry all the time, then do what is right for you.
  • Ckonner
    Ckonner Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Me and I understand. I am really short and only weight 106 (goal of 105) as of this morning so my BMR is really low and my TDEE is as well. A lot of people dog me too for only eating 1000-1100 calories however my TDEE is 1501 and if I eat 500 less then that it is 1001 calories a day. I am half the size or a third of the size of some people on this board yet they are saying I am starving myself. No, I am just eating for my own height and weight.

I also don’t really eat back my exercise calories or if I do I only eat back 1/2 at the most and that is on a hard workout day or long day. I lost all my baby weight from baby number 2 however want to get really toned and trim and ready before I get pregnant again for number 3. I didn't gain a lot with baby number 2 however would like to be as fit as possible this time around so I will have less to loose. Did the same thing the last time too ;) I am more toned and fit though with this one…. Trying to work off my genetically larger thighs in proportioned to my body, heheh. First thing that goes is my boobs and tummy, heheh.

Eating 1200 calories or less really depends on what your height and weight are. However, if your doctor okayed that then it is hopefully is fine. :) Do not listen to the crazies on here… Opinions are like butts…. Everyone has one and most of them stink! ;)
    If you are very lean, as you are now, a 500 calorie deficit may be a bit unnecessary. At this point, you'd be lucky to lose .25 lbs of true fat per week. Also, that 500 deficit assumes the entire deficit is from food (TDEE of 1500 down to 1000). If you are exercising on top of that, then your deficit is in fact greater than 500. So if you are consuming 1000 calories of food, down from 1500, and exercising at 300 calories a day, that's a sum deficit of 800. 800/1500 is a massive 53% deficit and will not benefit one as lean as yourself.
  • hhevenly
    Options
    I'm doing a food plan that restricts sugar, flour and gluten. I didn't HAVE to track calories, as weight loss is only a benefit, not necessarily the goal of my plan.....but I decided to track with MFP just to see where the numbers fell for my plan. I'm at about 1100 most days. MFP set me at 1200 to lose 2 pounds per week, but so far, I'm slightly under and doing great. Next weigh in is Sept 1st....so we'll see!
  • Mommyjenlynn
    Mommyjenlynn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually sit at between 1200-1275 calories a day on average. I got serious about my weight loss mid June and I am down 15 lbs. 16 more pounds to go and I will hit my weightless goal. I find it easier to eat lighter during the day and then eat my bigger meal for dinner (we eat about 5:30 and go to bed around midnight). That way I am not snacking in the evenings and if I need to I will normally grab a piece of fruit. I have been doing good not eating sweets which is normally the hard part for me. I did buy salt water taffy when I went to the coast last Friday. I discovered it is really low on calories and it does help when I get a craving for something sweet but I do not want to go overboard.

I am 5"10 inches. Started at 181 lbs and I weighed in at 165 lbs today. 150 lbs is my goal. If I hit it, may try for 140 (new goal) but we shall see what I look like.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I try to hit 1200 cals a day...I sometimes go over., sometimes under but that's my goal. People tell me I undereat...but I don't do any cardio. REally..no need for me to eat 1600 cals. I have people here who say I have to eat so much..but they are also doing crazy amounts of cardio along with strength training.

Why should I eat that much if I am not doing cardio?

I look at my body. It looks good. I am healthy per my recent physical. Approx 1200 cals is enough for me. When my body feels like eating a little more or less. I do. But normally around 1200.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I just started last week on a 1,200 calorie diet and i lost 3 lbs in the first week. I'm just trying to watch what i eat and i walk about 45 minutes a day for my exercise. I find that i rarely eat all 1,2000 calories even though i really try to and i have light snacks throughout the day. I also noticed that i consistently go over my sugar count. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I just posted about how I'm always over on carbs. It doesn't seem to be really hurting me any, but I hate seeing those red numbers pop up when I look at my daily totals. It's like it's screaming at me "Can't you do ANYTHING right???" I'm sorry MFP! I'll try harder tomorrow!
  • Liberty_7728
    Liberty_7728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize 1200 calories was a bad thing...I am 5'4 and started at 240lbs. MFP set my calories at 1200 after I input my information. I had no idea where to start and I assume MFP wouldn't start me at a dangerous calorie base.
    I was really strict and serious for about 8-10 weeks when I started and dropped 20lbs no problem. Summer began and I got too busy to track and follow...I am back at it in full force and much to my surprise I have maintained my loss! I must have done something right or learned something about my consumption while I was serious on here. I am completely excited about being back in the groove and working hard at dropping more unwanted weight. I began logging my food again today and will start my workouts tomorrow. Feel free to add me. I love the people I have on my friend list...everyone has been incredible and I would love to be that kind of support for others. Best of luck to you all! Being healthy is on the top of my bucket list, how about you?
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started 1200 calorie diet 3 weeks ago. first week lost 5 and last 2 weeks only 1 each week. A few days I ate some of workout calories but going to try to stick to 1200 and see whats happens. Hopefully next week will be more than 1 lbs.....any suggestions?