A question for ladies who lift!

Options
But first, a compliment: you're all my heroines :)

Now the question: How did you all get started lifting? Tell me your stories, I need the inspiration!!

I really want to start lifting weights (I love my cardio, and now I want to be STRONG!). I just don't know where to start. I'm currently reading "Starting Strength", per many recommendations... but I still can't muster up the courage to walk into the tiny, dude-packed gym at my work and pick up a barbell for the first time since I was 16. So I want to know how you friggen awesome ladies started out! Did any of you hire a coach or trainer? Take classes? Went with a friend?

Thanks!

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    When I first started I went with my then boyfriend who was a powerlifter. He taught me about what was what and did me a programme. I had wanted to start lifting before I was with him but like you I was really nervous about it! Have you got a friend you could take with you to the gym, just to make you feel more comfortable? It takes the pressure off if you go as a pair I think, and you can have a bit of fun doing a few exercises and working out what suits you.
  • ryoatsuki
    ryoatsuki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started a program called p90x, it's amazing for weight loss :)
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just went for it. It's intimidating yeah, but as long as you are careful not to get in the way of anyone, you should be fine.

I like to figure out when the gym is empty-- around 2PM is perfect. That way it's less nerve-wracking and besides you won't have to wait turns!

Currently I'm working out with a friend, somehow it makes it a little easier to strut over to the free weights and plop down on a bench for the first time. It gets easier.

Have fun :)
  • Ultrafan14
    Options
    I hired a personal trainer, especially since I need to do strenght training for my swimming cause I want to get better. It's awesome, he showed me specific swimming exercises, and most importantly, he taught me how to do them properly. A lot of those I thought I was doing correctly and boy was I wrong, you would not believe the difference it makes doing them right. I'm stronger already after two months and will meet wih my trainer soon again to change up the program...

Best of luck!! Also, make sure you do some reading on post workout nutrition to get the best out of it! =D
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i read new rules of lifting for women, and got incredibly intimidated...but i didn't let it stop me
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I also read the new rules of lifting for women but first started doing Chalean Extreme. I workout at home.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I started lifting after I became asthmatic. I couldn't really do big cardio stuff anymore, and discovered that lifting is also cardio, and the strength training helps the breathing. I love it - trying to get back into it now.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I just walked in and did it. Now I do it 3x's a week. You will start to see familiar faces and you will get more comfortable.

Happy lifting!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hmm..I guess what got me going was the Army. Well before then it was high school gym class. I was never picked first. Always last. I believed I sucked at sports. Which I do...at team sports. I will always be the worst addition to a basketball or vollyball or baseball team. Little did I know that I was able to lift heavy crap around... lol.

In the Army I always maxed my pt tests. I had no idea until I got into the army just how strong I was. I always maxed my pushups. After I left the army I got a personal trainer because I wanted to develop my strength more and show up to my high school reunion all buff.

My 20 year reunion is coming up in two years. I skipped my 10 and 15 year but definately going to show up for my 20. The girl picked last in gym class is now gonna be the strongest!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Rae6503 and this story sold me on it: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I looked into the main programs that are mentioned here (New Rules of lifing, Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5) and went with the one that seemed the most straight forward.

Did a lot of googling and youtubing proper form, and hit the gym. I was 2 workouts in when dh was convinced to join me.

I'm only about a month and a half in, but I'm loving it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started 20 years ago in college, but only because I had to take a required gym class, and "Fitness for Life" seemed the least humiliating. I was surprised then at how strong I was, because I was a 102 pound weakling, but I didn't stick with it when the semester was over. :ohwell: *sigh*

THIS time around, I started with EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation. It's a "game," but it's more like any circuit training dvd. It came with resistance bands, but not long after starting, I got a pair of 5 pound dumbbells and used them. Did that for about 5 months, then participated in the Warrior Dash. Once again, I was amazed at how strong I was, and amazed I was able to climb the great warrior wall with just a rope, but I was in agony the next day. Soon after that, I started going heavy at the gym, inspired by the hot chicks with muscles on here. I started with machines and low weighs, building up more and more and more. It was a Planet Fitness, so the free weigh options sucked.

A little over a month ago, I realized just how much I hated and resented going TO the gym. The drive sucked. The lack of airflow sucked. I hated treadmills. And I couldn't watch anything on tv while lifting. So I cancelled my membership, and got a cheap barbell and bench for home, and I've been happily lifting free weights with a pedestal fan blowing right on me, and watching whatever I damn well please, with a three second commute.

.... And she lifted happily ever after. :happy:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend first introduced me to it. He showed me a couple of exercises after I showed an interest, and so I did those. I never did squats and deadlifts at that point in time (although he did) Those were a bit too scary for my liking at first, and tbh he's not the best instructor.

I learnt about the importance of those lifts from MFP, and got more and more into lifting as time progressed on here and I heard others stories, watched videos, that sort of thing. Basically, he got me interested in lifting, but I learnt all about it on here! lol

I'd recommend looking into:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    New rules of lifting for women

They are the main programs that I see mentioned on here and while I haven't tried them personally, there seems to be lots of people on here having success with them :)
  • bianca_nichole
    bianca_nichole Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I first started lifting weights while doing the Body for Life program. It is a little intimidating going over to that side of the gym but in my experience as long as you make sure you're not in anyone's way or being inconsiderate the guys over there are friendly (sometimes too much so) and will help you if needed. You really gotta just go for it!! Just make sure you have a plan of attack so you aren't wandering around over there!
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff!
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I started in High School. I picked weightlifting instead of home economics because I wasn't too keen on it and I sucked at anything else I thought I might just give it a try. I was the only girl in the weight room but I had a great time. Everyone was really helpful and I loved to be able to push myself to lift more each time.

I was always terrible at track and field.... Always got picked last for any teams....With Weightlifting I could compete with myself. That's why I love it.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My first clue was internet research, and stumbling across Stronglifts 5x5's. Lots of useful info, and video and the program looked really doable, mainly because it looked like I could get in and out in an hour. 3x a week. Then I hired a trainer. I work out on my lunch hour, and for many of the moves (benchpress, in particular) I need a spotter, in addition to learning correct form. I used the trainer 2x a week doing stronglifts, then transitioned to 1x a week. I still do the stronglift program 2x a week, the workout I do alone I modify for my safety--not weight modified, but I use the machines and rely less on the oly bar. The 3rd strength training I do weekly is circuit, lower weights, higher reps. I love lifting heavy with the oly bar. It is very very empowering to me.
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was working part time in a gym doing child care. I would try to workout doing the machines and the occasional aerobics class.There was this guy who would drop his daughter off while he worked out. He looked amazing. He was in his 50's and still competing in Bodybuilding. I wanted so bad to start lifting, but I had no idea where to start.

Back then there was no internet, so I really had no clue.
    One day I worked up the courage to talk to him, he wasn't so intimidating after all. He said he would train me,I was hooked, and I wound up working out with him for years after that. Amazing guy, he really knew his stuff, and totally changed my life.
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    I started taking kettlebell classes.
    The instructor is a competitive powerlifter.
    I've hired him for a few private sessions so that he can show me good form.

Then, I'm just going to strut (okay, delicately walk) into that weight section in the gym and do what all those boys did at one point or another:

Fake it (safely) until I make it.
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    I started out going to the fitness room at the local ymca. I talked to a personal trainer and he set me up with a workout schedule free of charge based on what I wanted to accomplish with my body. From there I looked at bodybuilding.com and created my own schedules. You dont want to work the same body part every day. You need 48 hours between body parts ie: Mon:legs and back, Tue: Abs and Cardio, Wed: Biceps and Triceps, Thursday: Abs and Cardio, Friday:Shoulders and Chest, ect... You can do abs and cardio every day, but many use them as inbetween weight days to switch it up a little bit. Make sure you are eating pleanty of proteing after you lift. Your body absorbes most of its nutrients to help your muscles within an hour after your workout. Feel free to add me MonicaFlachman or message me if you have more questions, I would be happy to help you :)