I hate veggies!

This is my first post in here, I joined a few months ago and lost 6lbs right away but then stopped trying. Now I am back as of today and determined to get down at least 25lbs. My ultimate goal would be to get down 35lbs but I haven't been that since I was 15 so I'd be happy with 20-25lbs. Now here's my problem, I hate fruits and veggies. I always have, I grew up in a house where they were never served except with dinner on Sunday nights. Even as I got older and I knew I should be eating the
I can't seem to force myself to. The thought of eating them disgusts me and if I try I honestly gag and gag until I have to spit it out or throw up. It is so hard to keep under calories when it seems like I am not having anything healthy. Is there anyone else like me or am I the only one. Other then taking vitamins and just eating less does anyone have any healthy suggestions? Has anyone ever been able to force themselves to eat something they don't like? I have even been thinking about hypnosis but am worried about it not working and just being a waste of money. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    I don't know that this would work, since you don't like vegetables. But, you can get low sodium V8 It might not made you gag so much and 1 serving of it is the equivalent of 2 servings of veggies. But, I do think it would be better for you to just eat them. If your wanting to lose weight you're going to have to do things you don't like and eventually your body will get used to it. You said you never ate them growing up except like once a week. So, let your body get used to them and well as you and your mind. But, like I said you could try V8 and I always get the low sodium because it's better for you. BUT, the sodium one does taste better and if it helps you get your veggies then it might be worth the sodium. As for fruits. I don't know. I don't know anyone who hates all fruits. Fruits are sweet. Play around with them. Try different ones.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    I thought I hated vegetables, too, but it turns out I just hated the way they were being served to me.

Now that I cook for myself, I have fallen in love with roasting or grilling vegetables. Roasted asparagus is absolutely my favorite, and I also love roasted zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans (yes! you can roast green beans).

You need to try vegetables prepared in a variety of ways to find a method that is appetizing to you.
  • I thought I hated vegetables, too, but it turns out I just hated the way they were being served to me.

Now that I cook for myself, I have fallen in love with roasting or grilling vegetables. Roasted asparagus is absolutely my favorite, and I also love roasted zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans (yes! you can roast green beans).

You need to try vegetables prepared in a variety of ways to find a method that is appetizing to you.

This.

Try something new... new spices add new flavors and give veggies a whole new life.

Good Luck!
  • I hate them too, but not all of them. And actually a couple that I like are actually grains and not vegetables.

The only thing I like is green beans. I eat an entire can at lunch each day (70 calories). I can't stand them fresh or frozen. Blech!

I like corn, peas and any kind of bean too, but they technically aren't vegetables. When I make the skinnytaste crock pot chili, I put the diced tomatoes and some jalepenos in my kitchen ninja blender and annihilate them before adding them to the pot.

Basically, I eat a ton of chicken and turkey. I have sandwiches with deli meat on 45 calorie bread and 10 calorie mayonnaise. I make pizzas with low fat tortillas, deli ham, and 25 calorie pizza sauce.

I lost 30 pounds in seven months. Then I went on my honeymoon and gained 10 back due to all the all-inclusive gourmet meals. I'm back on the diet and and hope to lose the 10 pounds quickly. Want to see my diary? Send me a friend request.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I thought I hated vegetables, too, but it turns out I just hated the way they were being served to me.

^This!

You totally nailed it. I grew up with veggies .... so I have always liked them. But now that I make them ...... I still try different cooking methods.... just to see what's out there.

Keep trying a different variety of veggies ..... some raw, some steamed, some grilled. Use different spices. Grilled asparagus with soy sauce & sesame oil ..... yum. Roasted veggies with garlic or ginger root ... yum.

Start with fresh veggies, start with frozen .... the textures will be different. Some frozen veggies have a terrible textures .... others not. I

I think you will find veggies you like ... just keep an open mind.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    You could always just eat french fries and stay over weight ......

Read what the others said above...
  • Why don't you try some recipes from Jessica Seinfeld's book, "Deceptively Delicious". It is aimed toward getting kids to eat more healthful things, like pureeing cauliflower and adding it to mac & cheese. Maybe you should try this approach as a way to ease yourself into eating veggies. If you really dislike them, there is no way that I am going to sell you on a celery and fennel salad right out of the gate.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    This!! I think it totally matters how it is cooked. Also, depending on how old you are, I heard our tastebuds change every 7 years or something like that, I know from personal experience, i used to hate peppers, onions and cilantro, brussel sprouts, and now I love them all!!! There are so many fruits and veggies out there, keep giving new ones a try, you might be surprised and find some you like.

Also, if you have lived off a diet filled with processed foods, this could also be a big reason why you don't like veggies. Once that stuff is cleaned out of your body, they will taste better the more you eat them. Good luck to you, fruits and veggies are so important. It isn't just about losing lbs and fitting into clothes, if you don't put nutrients into your body, you will never be healthy!

• TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    This is my first post in here, I joined a few months ago and lost 6lbs right away but then stopped trying. Now I am back as of today and determined to get down at least 25lbs. My ultimate goal would be to get down 35lbs but I haven't been that since I was 15 so I'd be happy with 20-25lbs. Now here's my problem, I hate fruits and veggies. I always have, I grew up in a house where they were never served except with dinner on Sunday nights. Even as I got older and I knew I should be eating the
    I can't seem to force myself to. The thought of eating them disgusts me and if I try I honestly gag and gag until I have to spit it out or throw up. It is so hard to keep under calories when it seems like I am not having anything healthy. Is there anyone else like me or am I the only one. Other then taking vitamins and just eating less does anyone have any healthy suggestions? Has anyone ever been able to force themselves to eat something they don't like? I have even been thinking about hypnosis but am worried about it not working and just being a waste of money. Any advice would be appreciated.

When I was a kid, my family had veggies with every meal. Some of them, I hated. But my parents had a rule:

I had to eat 3 bites of everything on my plate without making any faces or noises. If I made an icky face or noise, then I had to start over! Make a face again... and well, the consequences got stiffer but ultimately still involved "politely" eating 3 bites of whatever it was.

I hated it at the time but I'm grateful now. It's a handy skill for eating other people's cooking when they aren't very good cooks. And what's more, I've slowly grown to tolerate and even like some of the things I used to hate.

Even as an adult, when visiting others for dinner I'll put 3 bites worth of a food on my plate when I think it doesn't look appetizing. Three bites and no icky faces or yuck noises later, even it it wasn't the best food, I can at least know what I wasn't a rude dinner guest. My family never made me clear my plate because "starving kids in 3rd world countries" but I did have to politely try everything. The axiom in our house was instead, "And what if you're invited to eat dinner with the president someday? You wouldn't spit out his green beans or avoid the first lady's casserole I hope!"

Of course how something is cooked matters a lot in how far I enjoy it. I'd rather have raw crunchy green beans than soggy cooked and over salted ones any day.

But as to the basics of the question, yes, you can force yourself to "like" things over time.

Sometimes I think a lot of picky eaters just had parents who didn't teach proper dinner manners or expose their kids to new food experiences. Contrary to popular opinion, most foods that people hate will not in fact cause them to vomit. (I've only had one truly come close and that was a jelly fish sushi thingy--which is like attempting to eat rubber bands as far as I'm concerned. Even then, I spit it in my napkin and did not, in fact, puke. My BF and I had ordered it because it was the one item on the menu neither of us had ever tried. If It had been a smaller mouthful, I might have been able to do it, but the texture got the better of me as I tried to eat it and I just couldn't recover. He wasn't a fan either and we've never ordered it again. I've also had a piece of anchovies + garlic + pinapple pizza and survived; although the waitress thought our table was nuts. Foods that I've tried and surprisingly liked include brussel sprouts, chopped liver, asparagus, collard greens with vinegar, fried shrimp brains, sea urchin, boiled peanuts, and steamed oysters--which are one of my favorites now.)
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    I agree with trying veggies in different forms- steamed, raw, grilled. I used to HATE brussel sprouts. My mom boiled them to within an inch of their lives and they tasted awful. Then someone recommended grilling them or sauteing them with onion and garlic. Oh my!! Now one of my favorite veggies!!

This sounds a bit like learned behavior. See a fruit/veggie= gag. Approach eating the fruit or veggie in a positive mind set. Not with trepidation or disgust. Take slow breaths while you are preparing to eat it, then put it on your mouth, continuing to take slow breaths.

If this is still too much for you, I agree with trying the Seinfeld book. It will be a way to get additional nutrients and perhaps train your taste buds. It shouldn't be the long term solution, but a way to introduce the foods.
  • tazzy2911
    tazzy2911 Posts: 323 Member
    I'm similar to the original poster, not a big fan of veggies in general so what I do is make vegetable soup, throw bit of everything in a pot, boil away and then puree, can eat them that way. Same thing with the fruit-make smoothies and much easier to eat them that way. Works for me anyway!
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member

Has anyone been successful at forcing me to eat things I don't like? No, except for my mom when I was 6 I was bawling in tears eating my pea soup.

Have I tried something I hated (and I mean hated) and liked it? Yes. I hate a lot of food (cheese, carrots, peas (thanks mom!), pizza, etc)

A good cook/chef can make you eat grass without a second thought. It's all in the way an ingredient is being prepared. Through a lot of bribery and insistence, I have tried a few food items I thought I hated. Turned out, I only hate the way it was prepared. I liked most of my veggies grilled. I like certain cheese in certain food. I only eat burgers either from my mother-in-law or this one restaurant. Peas and carrots are harder for me to get past (mostly because of the scaring memories). I still don't mind them too much in stews.

Don't let you head getting in the way of trying something new. If you don't like something, you don't like something. However, trying new things or old things in new ways can come a long ways in discovering things you would've missed otherwise.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member

^This.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member

This.

Try something new... new spices add new flavors and give veggies a whole new life.

Good Luck!

Exactly! I only roast or grill my veggies, canned veggies are a very good reason to gag, fresh ones though, are amazing, and you can roast just about every veggie out there! & Oven baked kale chips are soooo good!
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    You'd be surprised how good certain fruits and veggies taste when you're REALLY HUNGRY. I mean hungry hungry. Not just "it's time to eat" hungry. Stomach growling- been overdue for some sustenance for awhile. Try it and you might find a handful of fruits and vegetables you can incorporate.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,174 Member
    The only thing I like is green beans. I eat an entire can at lunch each day (70 calories). I can't stand them fresh or frozen. Blech!

I grew up on canned veggies. I thought they were awful and I hated veggies. The only frozen veggie mom bought was spinach....and I LOVED that! Clue there. ;)

Then I started eating fresh and frozen after I met my ex....and I found out that it was the canned vegetables I hated. So mushy...so bland. So with the exception of canned kidney beans and tomatoes (for my chili) every other veggie I eat is fresh or frozen....mostly fresh.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member

So you would rather eat food that was cut up by an unsanitary factory that adds hundreds of chemicals not meant for human consumption? Think about it... What you're putting in your gut right now is FAR worse than a living plant that was made with the intentions of our consumption or someone else's in the circle of life.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Try putting vegetables in meals or baked goods:

-Zucchini muffins
    -Carrot cake
    -spaghetti sauce
    -lasagna

Honestly, you need to try a tiny piece everyday. Try a small piece of carrot, or cauliflower or broccoli. It is a psychological problem. You are used to junk food, it is time to program your brain into thinking healthy food tastes good.

Everyday, try one small piece of a fruit of vegetable. That is it. Don't try to force feed the entire fruit or vegetable. Just a small piece. You will have to treat yourself like a 4 year old child and recondition your brain to accept healthy foods.