Newly Non-smoker

Options
Hi ya'll. I just recently quit smoking and have been steadily gaining weight. I have changed the types of food I eat and just started MFP. I sure could use some support.

Replies

• leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Funny, but I never thought of it!! I have quit smoking!

My usual is I would quit for a year or 2 or 3 then start again for 5 or 6 years, then quit again. I never smoked in my house and rarely at home. I am/was a social smoker -- only smoked when I was around people! So, at work, socializing, at the bar, etc etc etc. I no longer drink, haven't had a drink for 24 years.

In October '11, went to my doctor for some Champex, then in January '12 went back to dr for more Champex. Quit for 9 months, then started again in May leading up to daughters wedding in June. But haven't smoked since then. You just reminded me!! Thank you!! And the Champex is still sitting in unopened packages on the table.

In the meantime I have been on MFP and have included some exercise into my life, and I am losing weight!!!

Feel free to befriend me!

Welcome to MFP and good luck on your new life journey.....
  • AudreyinNC
    Options
    I quit a little over a year ago. I was a pack and a half smoker for 20 years and quitting sucked the life right out of me. Hardest thing I ever did. This is the first time I've quit, BUT it helped me gain close to 40 lbs. I wish I had acted sooner, so you are off to a GOOD start. Congrats on quitting!
  • lldem
    lldem Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    New to MFP as well. quit since Nov 2011, had a couple of paks since then but still trying to keep clean - it's a battle for sure. Gained 25 lbs total and now on the downward slope hopefully Good luck on your new journey!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I quit Jan 26, 2012 cold turkey after developing blood clots in heart and legs. After my surgery I started exercising as soon as I could and have taken off the extra weight. The main point is eat less and move more! It works!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Eat clean. Exercise. Push fluids. Adequate sleep. Additionally, smoking burns 100-200 calories a day.. so also keep that in mind. You body may be readjusting. I quit in January... I feel great!
  • Sistanorfolk
    Options
    welcome aboard...I'm not a smoker...but man I havent had a pot of coffee since I joined 11 days ago. I'm here to help you anyway I can.
  • mmgold7
    mmgold7 Posts: 1
    Options
    I quit on June 24...so a little over two months ago. I smoked for 18 years. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. You are not alone!
  • SaraSM143
    SaraSM143 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking makes 99% of people gain weight. You are not alone. Cigarettes are stimulants and without them the weight creeps up. Plus most smokers have oral fixations, need to have that hand to mouth comfort. Keep sunflower seeds, baby carrots, gum, grapes etc close by for a few months. Try to avoid snacking on junk food. Think of all the times you smoked, for example, after a meal (pop a piece of gum), after coffee (have a few grapes), after sex (drink a glass of water). Social situations can be difficult if many of your friends smoke, chew on a straw etc. You can do it, it just takes change, time and acceptance on your part.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I havent quit yet but will be shortly - my plan is to get going good on MFP (started a little over a week ago) then quit once the MFP habit has formed (they say it takes 3 weeks to form a habit) my thinking is if I can get going really well on the eating better and moving more that once I quit (quit date set for Oct 1) then when i get anxious and want a cigarette I'll walk of the craving instead - a win win! - thats the plan anyway. Good luck and keep going
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I quit 1.5 years ago. Smoked for 31 years. Hand rolled, no filter hard core get up at 2 in the morning to have a smoke smoker. :noway: Read Allen Carr's " The easy way to quit smoking". Then quit cold turkey.:blushing: Best thing I ever did.:wink: Tried about half a million ways to quit before that, but nothing stuck. ( I could be exaggerating a bit on the 1/2 million).

Any smokers looking for support to quit feel free to add. You can stick this greedy little demon called nicotine in a bottle.:smile:
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is the best decision you've made. i didn't stop until it was too late and now I have advanced COPD-emphysema. Breaking the nicotine addiction is far more important than losing weight in the short term. You can take the weight off later, just ensure you are absolutely off the drug. Do some extra exercise, maybe a good walk or jog, and when you are good and ready then hit the weight loss. When that time comes, use the same iron will to change your eating habits that you have used to become a recovering nicotine addict(you are only ever 1 cigarette away from reverting) and then do serious exercise. Think about joining a gym and involving yourself with one or two of their classes-maybe pilates, or zumba or something else .
    Good luck, anyway.

Rick
  • kellyerandolph
    Options
    Thanks for the advice...never really thought about smoking burning calories. WOW