In need of Tofu recipies :)

K_Smith86
K_Smith86 Posts: 123
So I'm a huge fan of Tofu, but am in need of recipes and different ideas on how to incorporate it in my meals. My boyfriend isn't a huge meat eater, and we usually end up putting tofu in its place, or vegetarian 'meats' instead. Seems to work well, but I've hit a wall when it comes to getting creative. Any help and ideas would be great! Thanks so much :)

Replies

• gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    This is pretty basic, but my favourite way to make tofu is to marinate pressed tofu in shoyu or tamari soy sauce and a tiny splash of sesame oil for at least 10 minutes, then just fry or bbq. This is just so easy and it tastes good! Pressed tofu is the best because it's quite firm and meaty. It stands on it's own well.

Pair it with whatever other sides you want, or put it in a bowl of rice and steamed veg with whatever sauce you like, maybe peanut sauce. I find hummus is the easiest.
  • K_Smith86
    This is pretty basic, but my favourite way to make tofu is to marinate pressed tofu in shoyu or tamari soy sauce and a tiny splash of sesame oil for at least 10 minutes, then just fry or bbq. This is just so easy and it tastes good! Pressed tofu is the best because it's quite firm and meaty. It stands on it's own well.

Pair it with whatever other sides you want, or put it in a bowl of rice and steamed veg with whatever sauce you like, maybe peanut sauce. I find hummus is the easiest.

That's typically how I end up cooking it, in a stir-fry type way. I've also found that it goes well in spaghetti. Sounds a bit odd, but we experimented one night. I'll add in a bunch of bell peppers to give it a bit of a kick and variety, and it's really good. We do tofu and rice quite a bit, or like I said, in a stirfry meal. Hummus huh? Sounds interesting. Might have to give that way a try :)
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    check out my blog, its all tofu recipes

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/windycitycupcake
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Depending on how much work you want to do.

One of my favorite way is actually a little unhealthy.

Stuffed tofu
    That giant square/rectangle block that you have. I'd cut it into forth. Fry it up until it's nice and crispy on the outside (I guess you can coat them in a little oil and bake them. Never tried it though but it should work). After that, I'll stuff it with vermicelli, mushroom, carrots, eggs and a little breadcrumb. Season the stuffing mixture to taste. I like to peel and chopped up tomatoes and then stew them down, but you can use tomato paste or tomato sauce too. Again, season to taste. I like to add some herbs in the sauce with a little wine vinegar and soy/fish sauce.Add the stuffed tofu and stew until the stuffing is cooked.

Tofu cake (for the lack of a better term)

jullienne your favorite veggies (I like carrots and grilled onions)
    Put your tofu (medium firm) under a heavy plate to squeeze most of the excess water out. Throw it in a food processor. Add your veggies. Add seasoning. add an egg. Grill it on a griddle.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112

That's typically how I end up cooking it, in a stir-fry type way. I've also found that it goes well in spaghetti. Sounds a bit odd, but we experimented one night. I'll add in a bunch of bell peppers to give it a bit of a kick and variety, and it's really good. We do tofu and rice quite a bit, or like I said, in a stirfry meal. Hummus huh? Sounds interesting. Might have to give that way a try :)

Yeah! It's kind of my lazy way to make a fast healthy meal when I don't have the drive or energy to make something fancier. Cook up some brown rice, steam some veg, fry tofu and top it with a nice big scoop of hummus. No sauces or spicing to worry about, just everything done in the easiest possible way and the hummus gives it some flavour. Sometimes I use fresh raw veg too, whatever happens to be around.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    red curry tofu.

1 can evaporated milk - coconut flavour (or add a little coconut essence to normal evap milk)
    2 tbsp red curry paste (i use Ayam)
    500g firm tofu, cut into little cubes
    brocolli, snow peas, asian greens, carrot, whatever other veg you feel like adding.
    250g cooked brown rice

bring milk to a simmer, add curry paste and allow to dissolve
    chuck in cubed tofu, simmer for about 10min
    chuck in other veg. i often steam the firmer veggies before to cut down on cooking time
    allow to simmer until it thickens a little
    chuck in cooked rice.

makes 5 serves, about 350cal per serve, depending on what extra veg you put in
  • K_Smith86
    red curry tofu.

1 can evaporated milk - coconut flavour (or add a little coconut essence to normal evap milk)
    2 tbsp red curry paste (i use Ayam)
    500g firm tofu, cut into little cubes
    brocolli, snow peas, asian greens, carrot, whatever other veg you feel like adding.
    250g cooked brown rice

bring milk to a simmer, add curry paste and allow to dissolve
    chuck in cubed tofu, simmer for about 10min
    chuck in other veg. i often steam the firmer veggies before to cut down on cooking time
    allow to simmer until it thickens a little
    chuck in cooked rice.

makes 5 serves, about 350cal per serve, depending on what extra veg you put in

Sounds fantastic - one little problem. I can't do coconut - allergic to it. Would it still taste fine with just regular evaporated milk? Thanks for the yummy idea!! :)