I need some help

Options
Hello,

I am a freshman in college, 19 year old female. This year I started to really pay attention to my weight and exercise. I never used to count calories and now I do. I want to know if I am going in the right direction.

I am 5' 8" and i weigh 136

I want to weight 130 becuase I think it will make me feel better about my self

I feel like I have a fat stoamch and it drives me nuts. I work out everyday do weights and cardio but i dont see any progress

I eat anywhere from 1000-1500 calories a day

some times i get nevrous to eat so i dont gain weight.. just can anyone have some advice or help me out? thanks

Replies

• DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are in great shape. For your height, 136 isn't bad. But the key is to feel better. Counting calories has worked for me in the past. I just started counting calories again with mfp and I'm feeling MUCH better each and every day. My MFP states that I'm supposed to tak ein 1500 calories. Not sure if that's true since I'm 5-9 200lbs and a male. I stick to a 5day workout plan and take in about 1500-1800 calories a day. As a freshman in college, I gained what we call in La the "Freshman 15" lol.... Stay focus and you will lose 6lbs in no time.
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What does mfp say your calorie intake should be? I used to try to stay under 1200, worked out like a demon, got a trainer, lost 10 lbs in almost a year. Started on MFP, found out i should take in 1550 (which i have a hard time getting to). But I have lost 4 lbs in 2.5 weeks. Odd! I know it! Good luck out there.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising you need to make sure you come close to your calorie count for the day. Your body needs the fuel if you are burning it off. You need to eat to lose weight. Try eating something within 30 minutes of waking up to get your metabolism going. Eat every 2 to 3 hours. 3 meals a day within the 300 to 500 range and snacks in between at 200 calories or below. Stay away from fried food, fast food, white bread (switch to whole wheat), white pasta (switch to whole wheat pasta), sugar (switch to splenda). Your last snack should be 1 hour before you go to bed. Drink at least 8 cups of water a day. If you follow these basic rules you will lose that six lbs in no time. Ab crunches will help that tummy get nice and tight. I've lost 38 lbs and 42 inches so far sticking to this plan.

Christine
  • lindseyjohn9
    Options
    is MFP how many calories I should eat in a day? it says 1470

Also. if it says 1470 calories is that what my net calories should be?

if i work out and burn 500 calories what should I eat?
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It kind of surprises people when they are told to eat more to lose weight. But it's true... What matters are the KINDS of foods you are eating... of course gorging yourself on a Supersized McDonald's value meal is not what they mean. They are talking lean meats, LOTS AND LOTS of veggies... Carbs from good sourses like whole grains and multi grains rather than simple carbs in white bread. You may not be eating ENOUGH!!!

But honestly girl... 5'8'' and 136... whew... I wish I had that body! I totally understand about losing just a little more to feel good about yourself! You can do it!!! Just keep at it!
  • goamy
    goamy Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey. I know exactly what you are going through, at my heaviest in college I weighed over 200 pounds, and at barely 5'6 that is not a good thing. What worries me is when you say you feel nervous about eating because you think you will gain weight. When I was a sophomore in college I started to feel the way you do right now, I hardly ate at all during the day but then I ended up binge eating at night. Since I wasn't eating the proper amount of calories my body needed (1500), my body started to eat my muscles and hold onto my body fat and I began to get sick. My wake up call was almost passing out in the hall on my way to class. I still struggle with my eating disorder, but now that I have control over it (instead of vice versa) I have been able to lose about forty pounds. The point is, your body needs food in order to keep you alive. To help ease your anxiety over eating too much I suggest finding out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), this will help show you how many calories your body needs everyday. And then I suggest that you eat! Make healthy choices and meet your daily calorie needs. Nutritionists say that if you cut 200-300 calories everyday that leads to successful long term weight loss. It is slower (and I know how frustrating that is!), but it lasts longer and you will be much happier with the results. Let me know how you're doing!