need advice on pregnancy.

Options
I just found out I was pregnant today. What is the minimum amount of calories I can eat and stay healthy? How much exercise can I do anything without causing problems with my pregnancy? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I found What to expect when you are expecting a very helpful book lots of good practical advice, about eating habits, too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you should talk to your doctor. a medical professional should be able to answer this question, and more.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would suggest discussing this with your doctor. Trying to lose weight while pregnant isn't really a great idea.
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Have no idea what to suggest sorry. Just wanted to say:

CONGRATS!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I would eat a good healthy diet, continue walking or something similar and just being as active as you can. I don't know a number of calories to suggest, but proably best to consult with your Dr. and Drink lots of water :)
  • relucas81
    Options
    I think those questions go beyond the scope of anything you could reliably trust on a message board... Do what your doctor says, don't worry about "weight loss", and ignore any crazy people on here who would tell you different :P
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It depends on how tall you are, etc, but I'd focus on the quality of food...food is a foundational building block of a baby's development! Westonaprice.org has a good sample pregnancy diet if you are interested.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    you should talk to your doctor. a medical professional should be able to answer this question, and more.

this 100%

this is your baby you are talking about...don't take any random stranger's advice over the internet...talk to a doctor.

and don't ask what the "minimum you can eat" is, ask what is healthiest for your baby... :grumble:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for that book.

They also have a companion book called "What to Eat when you're expecting" Fantastic books - I can't recommend them enough. I only gained 26 lbs my first pregnancy, and only 18 my second. I can't blame ANY of my weight issues on my pregnancies - I gained all my unhealthy weight in the 3 years between them (not during)

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/product/9780761133261-item.html?ref=google:sayt
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You donlt really need extra calories untill last trimester then 300 extra a day is what I was told
  • natemp21
    natemp21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just saw the doctor for her pregnancy and they said 300 calories more than your regular daily amount and also to make sure to consume at least 80 grams of protein a day. Your doctor could say something different.
  • scorl
    scorl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My dr told me I should be eating only about 300 calories more than normal. However I ate as much as I wanted (healthy of course...sometimes sweets) and I am kicking myself now about the weight I have to get off. HOWEVER - I have a super healthy little boy who is the light of my life and my body did what it needed to keep him healthy. :) Drink LOTS of water, take prenatal vitamins, continue to be active!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Make an OB appointment asap and discuss all of this with them. In the meantime, I suggest a good daily prental vitamin (if you aren't taking one already), eat at maintenance level, and continue exercise as usual unless it is very high impact or you have cramping or spotting. You're very early in, the baby hasn't started drawing a lot of nutrients from you but still keep momma healthy!

Oh, and extra folic acid if you haven't been taking it!

Hope you have a happy healthy pregnancy :smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Waiting on a man with a profile pic of his abs to come in and give her his advice. :bigsmile:

Congrats on your pregnancy but in all seriousness, I beg you to talk to a dr or someone with actual knowledge in the medical field. Do not rely on this bunch (me included) to give you advice on the single most important thing you will ever do in your life.

Congrats again, you are very fortunate.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    everyone is different, but i would eat what you normally would eat, if you're still hungry eat more, don't deny yourself. Just don't over-eat or just eat because you feel like you need to eat more just because you're pregnant. I was told this by a friend's mom when I was pregnant with my first daughter and I believed her. I ate a lot in the beginning and gained a lot because of it.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk with your provider, but as a midwife, I tell my patients to eat small frequent meals with lots of protein and calcium. Calories are going to depend on your weight now. If you're already overweight, you only need to gain 15 pounds during the entire pregnancy. For now you could change your MFP calorie settings to maintenance. That should get you at a healthy calorie number. And exercise can be continued as long as it's something you're used to, avoid getting overheated, you should be able to carry on a conversation while doing it. Congratulations!!!!!!!!
  • albrighte
    Options
    first and formost CONGRATS! but while pregnant you should never DIET. You should remain eating as healthy as you possibly can. If you were not exercising heavily before then don't start to now. Keeping active is important though, but low impact things like walking and swimming are great. Prenatal yoga too. As far as calorie consumption and weight gained it totally depends on how much you weigh currently. If you are overweight then you should probably not gain more than 15-20 pounds. Trying to stay at your calorie goal and in the second and third trimester upping your calories by 300. You should talk with your dr. about any of these concerns as they are medical professionals and know you best. Good luck.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. He/She will be able to tell you what is right for you and your child. Activity depends on what you did previously, now and what your complications are/might be if at all.

I ran miles (nothing hardcore once I was 20+ weeks) when pregnant but I was a runner before hand (and that stopped when I went in to labor at 30 weeks b/c of an incompetent cervix - which wasn't known). So, it goes to show you never know what can happen whether you have the ok from a doctor or not, pregnancy can be unexpected :)

Be healthy and take care of yourself.

Congrats to you (I hope this is a good thing in your life).
  • crystaltakingcontrol
    Options
    My OB told me it was safe to keep being as active as I was before, just don't increase it. However, each pregnancy is different, so you should discuss this with your OB. There are also pregnancy calorie calculators online, Just google it :) Congrats!
  • suzyc2be
    suzyc2be Posts: 11
    Options
    congrats!