Running and side pains...

Options
I get pains in my side when I run, especially my left side right above/around my hip bone. I don't think its related to anything other than my breathing because when I slow down I start to belch. I think when I run I swallow air... does this sound like anyone else or am I just running wrong? Sorry for the stupid question!!! :) I'm just wondering if there is a way to minimize this? I am a new runner and have only been doing this for a few months, when I started I couldn't even run 20 ft and now I'm up to just barely over a mile. Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• melgunner
    Options
    Before you start running bend over and look at your feet, breathe out once you are bent over and hold that breath out for as long as you can, breathe in as you stretch up. Do this a few times, it kind of stretches in a weird way, it prevents any side pains I use to get. I can even run right after eating if I do this. Also do it once or twice if you do get the side pain and it will alleviate the pain.
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Willing to try anything... I'm really going to look like a weirdo now!!! LOL I ususally walk about 5 minutes and where ever I end up a stretch (for shin splints) and then I get to my run... I'll add this next time I go out. Thanks :)
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    is it not a pain in your obliques or abs? that was a common issue earlier on in my running, I think just conditioning has helped some. if not, then I'm of no use haha
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't think so because once I burp several times it goes away. Its just annoying...
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I don't think so because once I burp several times it goes away. Its just annoying...

:/ gas i suppose