Not Hungry??? And Alcohol?? (2 Questions!!)

Options
1. I have been having a hard time getting even close to my 1200 calories a day lately... and with adding in my exercise calories it is even harder. So far I have eaten 850 calories but I also burned the same amount (coincidence) so now it is 8:00 and I am still supposed to eat another 1,200 calories! I'm not hungry at all but I know nutritionally, I need those calories, especially with my vigorous workouts. What should I be doing? This has been happening all week...

2. Also- here is another question. I am a bartender, so naturally I end up drinking often at work. I know alcohol has a lot of calories and I am unsure of how to track this (nothing is really listed in the database) and how to incorporate this with my diet. I would just stop drinking, but i am a 22 years old college student and bartender so that really isn't going to happen anytime soon. :) Suggestions please!

Replies

• lindseyjohn9
    Options
    i have a question for you, what do you do for workouts?
  • justsalad
    justsalad Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    1. I find I'm not hungry a lot either, so I try and find small things that I can eat, just to help up the calories, like a small bowl of yogurt, or some apple slices. Just to keep the calories up, but I know it won't fill me, cause I'm not hungry.

2. There is liquor listed, not mixed drinks, but vodka/captains morgans/etc is listed. Break your drinks down (I'm a bartender too) and think of coke and juice and sprite and all that seperately. Those will also keep your calories WAY up, booze is ridiculous for that. I know if you have a rum and coke, type in 'captain morgans' and it will come up then type in 'coke' , add em seperately. Both will come up! :)
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    To find the content in alchohol, go to www.calorieking.com
    This is the ULTIMATE food database, I refer to it often......
  • kimberlygo
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm in a situation where I feel like I must drink, but don't want to waste the calories, I'll start w/ a Vodka tonic or something low on calories, and then switch to diet coke. No one will really question it. I'm a light weight, so it works. It sounds like if you're not eating that much, you should be too.
  • shannon128
    Options
    For my workouts I normally just run, I've found it seems to sculpt my body the best for my frame. Today though I did a really intense cycling class at my gym in the am then went for a shorter run at night.

I normally drink vodka gimlets with a splash of water or vodka water limes (basically the same). Its normally shots when I'm working though (taking shots with guests ups their bill, upping your tip). Thank you to the other bartender who pointed out to separate the drinks by ingredient (i didn't even think of that!)

And p.s. someone mentioned vodka tonic as a low cal drink- I just wanted to point out that from my understanding thats not really true b/c tonic is fullllll of sugar. Diet tonic exists but I've never heard of a bar that serves it.

Very helpful already guys! Thank you!
  • tjone2
    tjone2 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I find it hard to get to the 1200 calorie "suggested minimum" intake sometimes. I will have a couple of drinks to make up the difference. I save the particular ingredients of a drink to my meals and just add them under the snack category for each round. I pour 2 ounces per drink and go with a zero calorie mixer light diet coke or water. I can tell you a Scotch and water is 138 calories a pop at that ratio - at least that is what this site calculates. Not sure why you are having trouble finding stuff in the database, I just looked up Long Island Iced Tea and Peroni and both were there.
  • nikkia75
    Options
    I have the same problems i manage my 1200 but then have exercise calories on top to eat when im not hungry.

, i work part time in a Pub (england) i only do 2 evenings fridays and saturdays....i drink Vodka & diet coke or Vodka lime & soda or Vodka & slimline tonic. my problem is ill often have 10 + a night (i know its not good for me)

im trying to cut back though, but if im not hitting my calories then i dont see why a couple of vodkas will hurt occassionally.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    From what I've looked at on here at the database.

Absolut vodka is the best for you.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I find it hard to get to the 1200 calorie "suggested minimum" intake sometimes. I will have a couple of drinks to make up the difference. I save the particular ingredients of a drink to my meals and just add them under the snack category for each round. I pour 2 ounces per drink and go with a zero calorie mixer light diet coke or water. I can tell you a Scotch and water is 138 calories a pop at that ratio - at least that is what this site calculates. Not sure why you are having trouble finding stuff in the database, I just looked up Long Island Iced Tea and Peroni and both were there.

Meeting the "minimum" calorie intake by drinking alcohol isn't doing you any favors.
    I'm not anti alcohol at all, I'm just saying if you're under by a couple hundred just be under by a couple hundred. Or how about eating 2tbs natural peanut butter or drinking a glass of milk? Calorie packed and nutritious. Adding empty calories isn't the point. The nutrition is the point. Same goes with people who think "oh, I'm under by 300 calories, I'll have a king sized candy bar." No - doesn't help (actually the candy would be better because there's probably at least some nuts/protein in there somewhere :wink:). Sure, it'll be okay to do it very occasionally, but several times a week is certainly not a great idea. Obviously you can do whatever you want, just don't think you're doing yourself any good (in terms of health and/or weight loss) by taking that approach.

I agree that most alchol is in the database -- maybe you're just searching too specifically? I have trouble most of the time finding nutrition info. on mini brews & such so I just give it a best guess & log a similar beer.

Calorie wise, clear liquors and light beers are your best bet -- they're all going to run you about 100 calories for 1 standard drink (that's one shot, 1.5 oz, of clear liquor like light rum or vodka, or 12 oz light beer).