Help..I keep going over on my sugar....any suggestions

Options
rmchan
rmchan Posts: 152 Member
I'm eating as healthy as I know how...only eat whole grains/whole wheat..no white carbs in this house! I only have one piece of fruit a day?...Yet everyday I'm over in my sugar intake...any suggestions? What am I doing wrong? I don't drink anything with sugar in it..water only...don't put it in my coffee in the morning...it's all coming from food....Most days I end with a few calories left over..I'm exercising a lot (training for a 1/2 marathon in April)...please help...or is it a big deal?

Replies

• stephjohnny
    stephjohnny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just added the sugar to my diary just see where i am at. Seems I go over on sugar too. Would love an answer to the question you asked.
  • jeffreyrashad
    Options
    yes. i too have noticed this as well. i bring down my sodium and my sugar goes up..Bananas and other fruits like mangos are high.. but i think since they are natural sugars i dont worry too much(i dont eat 3lb bags of sugar anymore..lol)
  • tjone2
    tjone2 Posts: 7
    Options
    I just added sugar to my diary also. I'm going over on it quite frequently as well, and I'm usually under on calories. I find it a little odd - before I read this post, I assumed sugars would be rolled up into carbs which I am always under.
  • frozenveggie
    Options
    I have the same problem and I go way over on my carbs. Even days where I keep to a more vegan like diet I go over. Any answers??
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    In my completely unprofessional and uneducated opinion - is the number itself really the problem ?
    I'd suggest looking at the days where you blow the values then at each individual piece of food on your daily plan and see which ones are causing the sugar increases. (just look at sugar column).
    Then look further at those foods and see if they really are a problem and/or if there are some alternatives to those specific foods.
    For example.
    If you work out, carbs/sugars/proteins etc are all necessary for both energy and post workout recovery/muscle building.
    For my goals, I'm allowed 38gms of sugar a day I can easily blow through that with the following (on certain days)
    - a Banana
    - a glass of non-fat milk
    - a medium baked potato (nothing on it)
    - two large water bottles with 2 propel sachets added (one each) while working out

Those 4 items will all but take care of that daily allowance. All I need to do is have a single piece of bread, or maybe some honey on a piece of grilled chicken or a couple of nuts and I've completely blown my sugar content out the window. Can anyone really tell me what I'm doing is wrong ?
    Potato is good for post workout, banana is good breakfast, both are excellent sources of potassium .... which, consequently, seems to be really hard target to meet, seems to be found easily in "sugar" foods but is important for weight loss, general health and muscle growth. Go figure!!
    Milk is good for calcium and should we really drop that for 12gms of sugar ? Sure there are other sources of calcium ... but we do need to still be balanced in what we eat (and I don't drink milk everyday). Certainly I could drop the 8gms from the propel drinks ... but we have to have our creature comforts and it's energy for working out etc:)

Also, double check that the "foods added" are correctly adding the right amount of sugars .. it's easy to miss.
    So, again, in my opinion: Take a look at where the sugar is coming from (and carbs/fats etc) then see if it's good or bad sugar, if there's alternatives and if you workout, research the work out aspect of things and you will find that you need certain sugars/carbs/proteins at certain times to really benefit your workouts. e.g. replacing potassium lost in sweat, helping glucose/insulin levels in muscles etc etc.

Now, if you don't workout, but enjoy honey in your tea each morning .... then is the honey something you really want to be without ?
    Is it really that huge of a problem ? Are the benefits to having a teaspoon of honey outweighing the increase in sugar ? The benefits may simply be to your general well being throughout the day as opposed to living forever.

How about a handful of almonds while you go for a walk ? Is that something you'd want to cut out for the sake of a theoretical and generic daily sugar intake number ?

However, if the sugar content is being exceeded due to eating a lean cuisine everyday for lunch (because it's convenient), then perhaps you may want to look at different flavours of the cuisine .... or ... drop the cuisines (and save some money) and make some lunches the night before (I make wraps with spelt tortilla's. They're delicious, low sugar, high protein and carbs but better than bread)
    Although I've only just started with this application and tracking my intakes, I find that the calories and daily intake values of everything very valuable but at the same time, it's a guideline. It helps me educate myself on exactly what is going into my mouth each day, so, I can see that I also exceed sugar daily, but looking deeper into it, the way I'm exceeding the sugar content is not a problem because of the benefits I get from those foods that are causing me to exceed it ... at least IMHO.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers and good luck.
  • rmchan
    Options
    Well I scrolled back and looked at the days I was really over...mainly coming from- skim milk, salsa, tomatoes, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bagel, blueberries, my whole grain cereal...all of those things I need so..I'm not gonna cut out those carbs..I need them for recovery...and I've already cut out processed food and white carbs...I need the fiber/calcium I'm getting from the items...just gonna keep on keeping on and try to stay within and if I go over...?
  • rmchan
    Options
    I just added sugar to my diary also. I'm going over on it quite frequently as well, and I'm usually under on calories. I find it a little odd - before I read this post, I assumed sugars would be rolled up into carbs which I am always under.

Well Diabetes is something that I'm concerned with...It's very common in my family even in the skinny ones...That's why I added it to my diary...and I know once I get off this excess weight it will lower my chances even more..I exercising myself to death and really watching my diet..I'm eating very clean..a lot of lean proteins, whole grain carbs in moderation, fresh veggies/fruit..I just wanted to see if anyone could give some advice.. anyway glad I'm not the only one baffled..
  • bfeather
    Options
    You need to get more protien . My fav is cyto whey low fat cocoa bean it tastes so yummy 1 scoop with 5 oz water . 90 cal 2gcarbs 1 g fat 17g protien. If you are training you need almost double the protien . You should not be under your cal by that much or your body will not burn properly. you need also to look at the sugar in the carbs your eating some things look good on the front you read the facts and its no better than white bread.
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I am on high protien, low carb, low fat diet and eat little more than protiens shakes, tofu, egg whites and wheat pitas and my sugars are over as well. It's just my personal opinion but unless you are endulging in pixie stix daily I think you are good to go. :wink: