Fitbit calculation question

Options
So it states I burned 1867 calories today. My BMR is 1497 and I logged 1200 in food. What I do not understand is that it only gave me 166 exercise calories. Can someone please explain this process to me. It appears some days it will give me more exercise calories on days that similar calories are burned.

I log no exercise in fitness pal and I have my exercise at zero and the lowest setting. Are my settings wrong?

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I think you're supposed to only log exercise here. You don't log anything on the Fitbit site. They just do an import of the steps. If you're logging over there, you might be causing a bit of a problem with the numbers. I'd join the Fitbit group. I got some great information there.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I want to know this too so I am commenting here...but I think it also has to do with the combination of activity (flower growing and steps). Some fitbit stuff confuses me and Ive had it about a month now but it is the best investment I have made apart from training.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    It bases things off your TDEE, not your BMR. :)
  • mkup04
    mkup04 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am having issues as well. I do log driving over on the fitbit site to get rid of the steps and calories while I am driving. But the rest I log on MFP. When I add my activity in mfp it does not deduct from the fitbit calorie adjustment. Shouldn't it deduct? Am I doing something wrong?
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree. The only part I do log is the driving and that just blocks any unwanted steps. I think it turns it to minimal calories lost so it make sit easier. I did test it once though and discovered my fitbit didn't seem to make more than one or two steps while I traveled in the car. You could keep a booklet in the car, write down the time started and the steps on the Fitbit, then do the same on your arrival at your location. At that point, you can decide if it's worth logging. I found only like one or two steps so I decided it wasn't worth it. I believe it adjusts based on what you set your activity level to which means if you set it to an activity level that assigns 1200 calories - it does an adjustment if you need to add calories for food. So far, it's been working for me with no problems and I'm slowly losing weight which is what I wanted.