I need help!!

aprilmichelle
aprilmichelle Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am new at this, I really need to loose weight, and I run out of foods to eat and usually just stop. I need some good ideas for my whole family.

Replies

• annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    some easy switches is to switch from white to whole wheat, for potatoes try sweet potatoes or yams instead of white, try to have as much if not more veggies than pasta and 2X's the veggies than meat. look for recipes on the internet for low fat and look for the ones that give the nutritional info, also look for ones that don't require a lot of canned and prepackaged/cooked things, cook as fresh as possible. When it comes to baking, substitute mashed bananas or applesauce for the oil (it will make the food a softer texture also) when cooking on the stove use as little oil as possible, many times I cook without it and some low fat recipes even call for cooking in a small amount of water or broth instead of oil. Your family will most likely do a lot of complaining at first but if that's the only thing in the house for them to eat then they will end up eating it and getting used to it.
  • gmr0279
    gmr0279 Posts: 4 Member
    I am also new at this. I have just been making small changes because I to get frustrated usually pretty easily but this time around I'm trying my best to stick with it. Some small changes I have made was to drink at least 8 cups of water a day, I use the small plates to serve my food on so I don't over eat and give myself time to taste my food and a few second before throwing the next bite in my mouth, let my body digest it. I watch the biggest loser and I do carry Extra gum with me so when I get that craving for something or I carry almonds (natural by blue diamond) so I pop a couple in my mouth and then it carries me through. I agree just look up recipes online..I use Tasteofhomes.com/allrecipes.com and I have got a few recipes. Watch the sodium intake, I never paid much attention to that until I signed up for Myfitnesspal and I couldn't beleive how much sodium was in some things I thought were "healthy". Make small changes and gradually it will just come naturally. Also I have heard the same things that annastasia has said...I haven't used the applesauce or bananas myself but plan to. If you have pampered chef hostess in you area you should ask to try out their cooking sets...since i have bought their pans (non stick) I NEVER use butter or oil because nothing ever sticks...but I add a tinge of oil to veggies sometimes for flavor but it cuts out big time on the butter and stuff i use to use for cooking. Don't give up ! you have made it this far!!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Meal planning is important so you don't run out of food. Measuring and weighing your food for portion control. You can pretty much eat some of the same meals a you did before. You just need to figure out what in this meal can I change to make it healthier? 2-4 oz of meat, serving of starch or sometime half depending on what it is, serving to serving and a half of veggies and you could serve some fruit too. Good LUCK!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    My best advice to you if you dont buy it you cant eat it! I quit buying junk for the house and it forced my kids to try new things, like carrots and celery. Also when I bought it "for the family" I ended up eating it. Its too easy to grab a couple chips from the bag when your dishing them out to your kids which can hinder your wieght loss.

Also I learned that fat free or low fat dressings make a good sub for butter and oil in cooking. Newmans own makes a really great vingerette and low fat ginger dressing that I cook my veggies in. Or I cook chicken in fat free catalina. Yummy!

I also like walmart brand crinkle cut fries which I bake and its only 120 cals for 15 fries.

Sugar free jello is also one of my favs. only 5 cals for a 1/2 cup so I dont feel bad when Im close to going over my cals if I eat that!
    Also my kids cant tell the diff. between sliced cheese and fat free sliced cheese. Have fun with it and dont be afraid to try new things
    Good Luck
  • gmr0279
    gmr0279 Posts: 4 Member
    it's me again I was just reading these 2 articles and thought you might like it...just copy and paste up in your address bar and an article w/Jillian Michaels is on there hope they work

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthieryou/14638/jillian-michaels-debunks-your-top-8-excuses-for-not-being-fit/

http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2009/06/30-healthy-snacks?mbid=synd_yahoohlth
This discussion has been closed.