Unsupportive friends and family, 1200 Calorie diet.

Options
I'm on the 1200 calorie diet, and its the only way I can lose weight consistantly and safely. I exercise daily, but not excessively. Currently I am 150 lbs and 5"2. I need to lose weight both for health reasons, and to feel better about myself.

It is hard enough keeping track of everything I eat, and the proportions, but everytime I go out my friends hastle me to eat more or something different. They tell me I'm ridiculous to do it, but its not a crash diet, and its not dangerous if done properly. They tell me I'm fine as I am in one breath, and then in the other, bemoan their tiny figures and call me 'cute, and cuddly and squishy'. I feel like the token odd one out.

My family try to be supportive, but buy me high sugar drinks and lollies nearly every day, as a 'break for hard work'.

I just want someone to tell me their going through something similar, or offer some supporting words.

Replies

• sundropc14
    sundropc14 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    this is for you, and for you only...... as long as you are eating clean, and eating regularly, and not eating under your calories your will be sucessful. As for your family I would just politely hand them back to them and say that I dont eat white poison sugar anymore but thanks anyways. Hang in there you can change your lifestyle for yourself.
  • purpleblaze
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 calorie diet, and its the only way I can lose weight consistantly and safely. I exercise daily, but not excessively. Currently I am 150 lbs and 5"2. I need to lose weight both for health reasons, and to feel better about myself.

It is hard enough keeping track of everything I eat, and the proportions, but everytime I go out my friends hastle me to eat more or something different. They tell me I'm ridiculous to do it, but its not a crash diet, and its not dangerous if done properly. They tell me I'm fine as I am in one breath, and then in the other, bemoan their tiny figures and call me 'cute, and cuddly and squishy'. I feel like the token odd one out.

My family try to be supportive, but buy me high sugar drinks and lollies nearly every day, as a 'break for hard work'.

I just want someone to tell me their going through something similar, or offer some supporting words.

stay focused on what YOU want :) you can do it, with or without their help :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories?

I am your height, and I started right around your weight. I lost the majority of my weight on 1,200/day, but I ate every single exercise calorie. If you're not, I can see where the concern for it being unhealthy would come in.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    You are the one living in your body, and with your choices - not them. You need to be happy with yourself... it doesn't matter if they are, if you aren't. Set standards that will make you proud - and don't settle!

I have dealt with my share of diet hate as well (I just mean negative reaction to healthy changes)... and am trying to win the battle and war as well.
  • chickchickadee
    chickchickadee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stay firm, consistent, and unapologetic about your healthy lifestyle choices. Your friends and family will eventually get used to it, if nothing else. It's your new normal!
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    *MISERY LOVES COMPANY* and even though you love your friends and they love you........... they will do ANYTHING they can to help you fail because it makes them feel better for not improving themselves the way you do. Just smile and ignore them and keep doing what you're doing, all the while reminding yourself they are just trying to bring you down. If you can't beat 'em, tell em to *kitten* off! True friends would support you my dear...........................!!! :wink:
  • hpike5946
    Options
    My mother is like that. My daughter and I are both using MFP and working on weight loss. My mother knows that she herself needs to lose weight, but if you are not doing something the way she thinks it should be done then you are not going to be supported by her. We basically have just started ignoring the little digs or comments that she makes. We have a lot of other people to support us, but it would be nice to have the support of my own mother. Just try to remember that you are doing what is best for you. And remember there are a lot of people out there to support you that you don't even know.
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My friends often don't understand me, either. I've learned how to suggest different restaurants when we go out so that it's easier and less obvious that I'm making healthier choices (such as sushi instead of a burger joint). I am lucky enought that I have a couple of friends who understand my motivation and my goals, and when I want to talk about what I'm doing for myself, I call those guys. While I still value the friends who aren't quite as understanding, I just don't talk about it with them. And when they bring me "treats" I eat a bite or two, smile, and save the rest for later, although I know odds are good that I won't finish it.

This is for you, not for them. You dictate your lifestyle. I'm completely on your side, and I bet you'll find a lot of support here on these message boards.
  • sundropc14
    sundropc14 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    the thing is, is that if done properly this is not a diet..... its clean eating. by eating the proper foods you can eat all day long. its making the wise choices that make this a lifestyle change . the more you committ to healthy eating, the more it doesn"t matter what anyone else thinks. When you make good choices it make other people question what they are eating ... that makes people uncomfortable.... just do this for you
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

It's very difficult to commit to anything when you are being scrutinized by your peers/parents. All I can suggest to you is for you to tell them to keep their nose out of your business. If they choose to still give you a hard time, give them a hard time about one of their weaknesses. No one likes to be picked on, and if they can't respect you, why should you respect them?

[bold]Really, you should just ditch them. Supportive friends are what people need.[/bold]

But the truth is, you probably are eating very little compared to them and when their metabolism dies, they will be where you are.... Unless you are hanging out with guys, then in that case, they have higher metabolism and should be eating that much anyways if they are very active.
  • DanielleEdwards18
    Options
    I do. I wanted to do it right, and not give them a real reason for concern. I don't want to jump the gun and screw it up in the future.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    "But you don't need to lose weight!" Yah, they do say those things.

I had to not say anything at first. At a dinner out, I ordered what I wanted. Once someone said 'what is that' and I blew them off with a joke. After I had lost 20 pounds, no one harassed me any more. The last time someone said you don't need to lose weight, I sweetly offered them the clothes I have that are too large for me now.
  • skeeter2584
    skeeter2584 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First off, don't be discouraged - everybody's got to start somewhere!!! I'm currently taking in 1,200 calories per day as well, but I'm thinking of increasing my intake to my daily goal. My dad even brought home MC DONALD'S for my dinner tonight and I was still within my calorie goal for the day. (I ordered a small fry and 6 nuggets instead of 20). It may seem like a real pain in the backside, but carefully measuring your portions is absolutely ESSENTIAL for weight loss. As for lollipops, it's certainly OK to have them as a treat if you play your cards right. Obviously, you don't want to eat them every single day because of all that sugar. If your parents and/or friends insist on you eating more snacks, you could politely say, "Thanks guys, but I feel most comfortable if I have a lollipop only once a week." Or, if you want to play it safe, maybe two weeks. I hope this helps and best wishes!!! :smile:
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well, if you feel comfortable, you could talk individually to some of your borderline supportive friends/family and tell them that you need their support- especially in situations where others are trying to unravel your goals of eating healthy. Or you could take the alternate route and talk to your least supportive friends and family and tell them that their behavior is really discouraging and hurtful. Create a support system for yourself (it's great to have one on MFP, but the people you see face to face are also important!)- you deserve it!
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I battle with this every day.

Learn the phrase f*** off. It comes in handy.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would just tell them that you're making a lifestyle change, not going on a diet. I would be sure to mention that your calories will increase once the weight is off. Also, I agree with the one poster, are you eating your carbs back? If the system gives you calories, you're body will burn better if you try to eat some of them back. I know it's worked so far for me that way.

Also, don't be afraid to stick up for yourself. It's fine to smile and say "Why that was so considerate but...I can't eat that right now. Why don't you pass that to...as she's not having to worry about her food right now." Basically, keep saying to them "lifestyle change" and they'll get that you're not dieting and that you're really just eating right. I think just saying it in the right way may make them come around. If they still don't get it and keep saying "you don't have to lose weight" then just point out the fact that losing weight is not your only goal - you're eating whole foods and eating the right foods. I'd be sure to pick something that looks good (not a salad) with a big dash of veggies on the side and make a point of groaning and declaring "This is fantastic!" They may start envying your food choices.
  • Evasavealot1
    Evasavealot1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I battle with this every day.

Learn the phrase f*** off. It comes in handy.

EXACTLY! That's what I do,