So, what should I be eating?

Options
There are so many diets to choose from, and Ive done so many! I did hcg, phentermine, atkins (for as long as I could take it), low fat, low carb...ect.. All in all I know it wasn't the diet that failed me it was me that failed. I have been considering going back on a "diet" but I honestly have to say I don't know which one is the best for me. I'm the type that goes all in on something and i give in after a week. I'm one of those people that has no willpower and the gut to show for it. Next month I'll be enrolling in a 12 week weightloss "camp" that includes training, blood work (to eastablish a base line), stress test and behavioral therapy. I know its a lot and I'm so looking forward to it and I really really want to make thos work! I know that when I eat "healthy" it doesnt seem to mean healtly for me! I have ibs & ulcers and that seems to irritate my stomach even more. I'm so glad I found this so I'm askig what has worked for you? I'm a little overwhelmed and could use some friends and advice

Replies

• jlcarter1975
    jlcarter1975 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been successful at weight loss plans, then when I quit doing them I gain any weight I lost back plus some more. I've joined Weight Watchers and was successful while I was on the plan. I've followed the Body for Life guidelines where you eat six small meals a day and always eat a protein with a carbohydrate and did well too. I've used Alli and lost weight while I took those pills and didn't eat more than my allotted fat grams. I think the key is to get on a plan and stick with it. As soon as you stray back into old habits, you are doomed. Now I am doing my food journal entries everyday on here (I just joined yesterday) and trying to exercise at least three times a week.

If you are mindful of what you eat, you'll do well. If you eat slowly, chew slowly and enjoy your food, you can fill up on a very small amount. Give your brain enough time to let you know you are full.

I hope this has helped. I wish you success.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    why go on any of those diets. just eat at a caloric deficit.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have ibs & ulcers and that seems to irritate my stomach even more. I'm so glad I found this so I'm askig what has worked for you? I'm a little overwhelmed and could use some friends and advice

In April, I had ibs, gerd, fibromyalgia, and chronic brain fog. After doing extensive research, I decided to try the Gluten Free diet. After going Gluten Free for 2 weeks, I felt my organs go through a change. I took a probiotic with 10 billion CFU for a little while and forced my intestines to recover from the gluten intolerance that I was suspicious of. Meanwhile, I noticed I was having problems drinking milk without getting my gerd symptoms back; so I decided to cut out cheese, milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, and any other products that contained dairy.

After 2 weeks of casein free and 4 weeks of gluten free I was a new man. I had no digestion issues and I transformed my body to lose 15 lbs. But I was still having brain fog issues (associated with ADHD I thought). So I decided to quit all sugar and caffeine to see what happened... It was hard to do this because I've spent the last 15 years addicted to sugar... But, I did it!

I noticed that without sugar though, my energy levels seemed to dip real bad on some days, so I slowly added fruit into my life and ended the probiotic. At first there was bloating because my stomach had to get reacquianted with the sugar; but now that everything is balanced, I am doing great. But I was still not happy with how heavy my body felt...

After trying to eat "gluten free" grains and having no success in finding good tasting ones, I quit bread, pasta, buns, crackers, chips, cookies, and baked goods entirely. Afterall, most of these things have anti-nutrients anyways, so why would I want to eat them anyways?!?! I limited my fiber and starches to fruits and veggies.

Today, I weigh in 64 lbs. lighter than I did in April. I don't have ibs symptoms any more or any of the above except brain fog. The brain fog is due to a sensitivity to the sugar in the fruit, but I refuse to take sugar out of my diet. The vitamins from the fruit out weigh the brain fog. But when I get a serious job that requires more brain power, I may be forced to quit fruit again and just eat lean meat, veggies, and nuts.

I hope my story helps you. Try Gluten Free for a while and see if it helps you. Also, try eating clean foods too (cook yourself); I don't eat anything that comes in a box except Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars by Yasso.

Good luck on your adventure.

EDIT: Oh, and I have been at 1200 calories the entire time. But when you're eating 100% nutritious foods and not wasting ANY calories, 1200 calories is all I need.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few diets in the past: Weight Watchers and Atkins were the last 2 I can think of. While on them I also did well but the weight came right back on when I stopped.

This time I'm not on a diet, I'm eating healthier. I have been cooking my meals at home as often as possible. Eating more beans and veggies and fruit. I set my calories around 1700 and usually have no trouble staying under that. I am learning new foods that keep me fuller longer and so far its working.

I would suggest asking questions, doing research and snooping at peoples diaries for food ideas (I did lol and feel free to look at mine I'm always open for suggestions to.

Good Luck!
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Stop picking "diets" and start choosing to make a lifestyle change. The diet mentality will mean you're thinking in terms of stopping at some point. Look up the USDA recommended amounts and ask your doctor if you should make special choices for your particular health issues - your IBS, for instance, might mean you need to cut down on acid foods or get tested for gluten intolerance.

Also, start with the basics. It's easier and more effective in the long run to make gradual, but fundamental changes than to change everything all at once. For me it was vowing to eat my veggies and stick to one sugar/dessert a day, every day no matter what else. Just by keeping an eye on those two things, I found it easier to hit my calorie targets. Now I've added exercise because everyone needs exercise. Simple, but fundamental changes.

Diets will drive you crazy. Very few of them are sustainable and some are actually dangerous. Stick getting your veggies/fruits, counting calories and following your doctor's advice.

(PS - I know my counter says I haven't lost anything. I actually am losing weight, but I've decided not to record any changes until the end of September as a way of keeping myself focused on my habits rather than a number on the scale.)
  • libstr
    libstr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have ibs & ulcers and that seems to irritate my stomach even more. I'm so glad I found this so I'm askig what has worked for you? I'm a little overwhelmed and could use some friends and advice

In April, I had ibs, gerd, fibromyalgia, and chronic brain fog. After doing extensive research, I decided to try the Gluten Free diet. After going Gluten Free for 2 weeks, I felt my organs go through a change. I took a probiotic with 10 billion CFU for a little while and forced my intestines to recover from the gluten intolerance that I was suspicious of. Meanwhile, I noticed I was having problems drinking milk without getting my gerd symptoms back; so I decided to cut out cheese, milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, and any other products that contained dairy.

After 2 weeks of casein free and 4 weeks of gluten free I was a new man. I had no digestion issues and I transformed my body to lose 15 lbs. But I was still having brain fog issues (associated with ADHD I thought). So I decided to quit all sugar and caffeine to see what happened... It was hard to do this because I've spent the last 15 years addicted to sugar... But, I did it!

I noticed that without sugar though, my energy levels seemed to dip real bad on some days, so I slowly added fruit into my life and ended the probiotic. At first there was bloating because my stomach had to get reacquianted with the sugar; but now that everything is balanced, I am doing great. But I was still not happy with how heavy my body felt...

After trying to eat "gluten free" grains and having no success in finding good tasting ones, I quit bread, pasta, buns, crackers, chips, cookies, and baked goods entirely. Afterall, most of these things have anti-nutrients anyways, so why would I want to eat them anyways?!?! I limited my fiber and starches to fruits and veggies.

Today, I weigh in 64 lbs. lighter than I did in April. I don't have ibs symptoms any more or any of the above except brain fog. The brain fog is due to a sensitivity to the sugar in the fruit, but I refuse to take sugar out of my diet. The vitamins from the fruit out weigh the brain fog. But when I get a serious job that requires more brain power, I may be forced to quit fruit again and just eat lean meat, veggies, and nuts.

I hope my story helps you. Try Gluten Free for a while and see if it helps you. Also, try eating clean foods too (cook yourself); I don't eat anything that comes in a box except Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars by Yasso.

EDIT: Oh, and I have been at 1200 calories the entire time. But when you're eating 100% nutritious foods and not wasting ANY calories, 1200 calories is all I need.

can I ask what are you actually eating then if you have cut out basically everything? I go for gluten free options if available as I have noted I am less tolerant of too much... same with milk products, i can have some but if i have too much i feel ill.
  • Jumeka
    Jumeka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I HAVE READ EVERYONE POST, I HAVE TRIED ALOT OF DIETS TOO AND I LOOKED GREAT FOR THAT TIME BEING. NOW I HAVE GAIN MY BABY WEIGHT BACK PLUS SOME

MY OPINION DIG HARD IN YOUR VEGGIES, IF YOU WANT A MEAT, GOT AFTER TURKEY, FISH, BONELESS CHICKEN BAKED ETC...

ALSO KEEP A SNACK NEAR BY IT WILL HELP YOU WITH CRAVINGS, PLUS DOUBLE UP ON YOUR WATERS. USE YOUR HOUSE WORK AS A MAJOR KEY IN WORKING OUT.
  • keeleen
    keeleen Posts: 93
    Options
    I think you need to have the mentality that this is a lifestyle change.... not a diet... Because if you go at it thinking you are on a diet, you think once you're done you can go back to eating the way you were, and that's not the case... you will gain it all back.... You need to think that you are changing you life to a healthier lifestyle.... which will include eating healthier foods and exercising... Basically you can eat what you want in moderation... If you cut everything out, eventually it will drive you crazy, and then cause you to binge. And beware of fad diets... and even going gluten free, you really need to check with your doctor before you do things like that, because sometimes it can cause even more problems... not saying going gluten free is a bad thing, I just think you need to check with your doctor or a nutrionist first... I've done all kinds of diets and things as well, and it's never worked out... But I found MFP, started joining in and making friends. I've been on here for awhile, but I just got serious about it, about a month ago... and this is the best I've ever done and the longest I've stuck with something doing it the healthy way... We both have about the same amout to lose, feel free to add me if you'd like. We can support and motivate each other! Good luck! You can do this!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I HAVE READ EVERYONE POST, I HAVE TRIED ALOT OF DIETS TOO AND I LOOKED GREAT FOR THAT TIME BEING. NOW I HAVE GAIN MY BABY WEIGHT BACK PLUS SOME

MY OPINION DIG HARD IN YOUR VEGGIES, IF YOU WANT A MEAT, GOT AFTER TURKEY, FISH, BONELESS CHICKEN BAKED ETC...

ALSO KEEP A SNACK NEAR BY IT WILL HELP YOU WITH CRAVINGS, PLUS DOUBLE UP ON YOUR WATERS. USE YOUR HOUSE WORK AS A MAJOR KEY IN WORKING OUT.

Caps_Lock.jpg
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    Don't diet...just eat a 1200 calorie diet which should be primarily lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies. Limited pasta and rice carbs, high protein, etc. Drink lots of water. Exercise.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

can I ask what are you actually eating then if you have cut out basically everything? I go for gluten free options if available as I have noted I am less tolerant of too much... same with milk products, i can have some but if i have too much i feel ill.

My diary should be public. Feel free to browse it. All things I eat are Gluten free and dairy free (minus yogurt). Today I tried Quinoa (keen-wah) for the first time and I had a gluten like response so don't try that IMO. But feel free to browse my diary. Any more questions, ask me privately.
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't think "diet." Think nutrition. What does your body *need.* This video 'splains it. Fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. See my diary. I have completely turned my life around because I changed how I think about food. I CAN be done and now it's just easy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You need to eat what you like that is mostly healthy and within your calorie budget (either daily or weekly). That is all. It is that simple. Diets don't work because they are not sustainable.

I lost 60 lbs this way, but I didn't deny myself treats. If I want a SBUX oatmeal cookie for a treat once a month or whatever I enter it in my diary and work around it. The key is to ENJOY eating, just limit it to the proper amount for weight loss. Exercise is key as well but the estimates for burning calories is way over realistic, not worth eating back, everything is an estimate anyway including the calorie's listed on food packaging. The bottom line is if you are not losing fat over time then notch it down. The proof is in the pudding.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I think you need to have the mentality that this is a lifestyle change.... not a diet... Because if you go at it thinking you are on a diet, you think once you're done you can go back to eating the way you were, and that's not the case... you will gain it all back.... You need to think that you are changing you life to a healthier lifestyle.... which will include eating healthier foods and exercising... Basically you can eat what you want in moderation... If you cut everything out, eventually it will drive you crazy, and then cause you to binge. And beware of fad diets... and even going gluten free, you really need to check with your doctor before you do things like that, because sometimes it can cause even more problems... not saying going gluten free is a bad thing, I just think you need to check with your doctor or a nutrionist first... I've done all kinds of diets and things as well, and it's never worked out... But I found MFP, started joining in and making friends. I've been on here for awhile, but I just got serious about it, about a month ago... and this is the best I've ever done and the longest I've stuck with something doing it the healthy way... We both have about the same amout to lose, feel free to add me if you'd like. We can support and motivate each other! Good luck! You can do this!
    Completely agree!! I've been doing this a little under a month (7 pounds down) and have decided that enough is enough! This is a lifestyle change for me. I still eat chocolate and cake, but a little, just to satisfy; not a BAG of chocolate or an entire cake. Instead, I eat lots of veggies and fruit, cut out soda, and basically eat normally within my calorie limit. You have to throw the diet mentality out the window. There is no "magic" food or formula.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options

Agree with above poster. Gluten and dairy free are the way to go.

http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/gluten-free-whole-grains

http://www.drfuhrman.com/weightloss/default.aspx

http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html
  • melodymist
    melodymist Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Great advice! I wish more people would think of it as a lifestyle change instead of a diet.

I do calorie counting. Works for me and I can eat anything within moderation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    why go on any of those diets. just eat at a caloric deficit.

^^this. Keep it simple.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Lol

Caps_Lock.jpg
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am not dieting! I eat whatever I want in moderation and within my calorie goal.... Seems to be working well and is something I think I can truly sustain for the rest of my life!!!