I know strength training is important, but hate lifting

Options
Suggestions? Love cardio, hate both lifting and stretching. Is there any program where I can get decent strength training benefits without having to use free weights or machines. I am committed to doing what I need to do, just looking at all my options. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I really like the book New Rules of Lifting for Abs. It is a progressive program. Each routine has warm-up, ab specific work (plank variations), and 4 compound lifts.

I can finish in under an hour, even if I am interrupted by every household member in the family.

I get frustrated with lifting when I stall and when the routine is boring. I have not had that isue with NRoLFA, in fact ... I actually look forward to these training sessions.

Check it out from the library, and see if it will work for you.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I find traditional weight lifting boring and a chore - but love kettlebells.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Also, if you truly decide after checking out short compound lift routines that you cannot bear to lift weights, check out Yoga ... weightlifting your body.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    . Is there any program where I can get decent strength training benefits without having to use free weights or machines

Honestly no there's not. You don't have to lift if you don't want to but you won't get the same benefits.
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    strength training burns a lot more calories than just cardio alone, theres ways to get it done quickly though.

Have you heard of low carb, high fat, ketogenic diets? theyre great for dropping alot of weight- and you can do it eating great food too :) lost 20 lbs this summer doin it
  • lmontrosse
    Options
    Power yoga or kettlebells. Or you could try strength bands although I personally dislike them. You could also do more of a bodyweight type strength program (push ups, pull ups, lunges, squats etc.)
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Kick boxing with weighted gloves and a weighted battle bar.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Go to:

www.nerdfitness.com

Look under the tabs for the Angry Birds Workout. It uses your body weight as resistance. Planks, push-ups, squats and rows. You can skip the rows (they require hand weights) if you'd prefer. There's plenty of benefit to be had without doing them. Steve has how-to videos on his site and YouTube that explain everything beautifully.

You can do great things for your body without ever touching a weight. Best of luck to you!
  • la_faerie
    Options
    Honestly, if you rule out lifts and stretches you are really limiting your options. Pilates may be a good compromise, all you need is yourself, a mat, and a good program, and it's less "stretchy" and feels like more of a strength workout.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I hated lifting because I never knew how to do it.
    Then I learned!

Now its all I do!
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What about group fitness classes, like a barbell strength class? Do you have that available to you?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Try some pilates or yoga. It's strenght training and doesn't require machines, a gym, or even weights. Some people to use ankle or hand weights. I use weighted gloves for piloxing.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Go to:

www.nerdfitness.com

Look under the tabs for the Angry Birds Workout. It uses your body weight as resistance. Planks, push-ups, squats and rows. You can skip the rows (they require hand weights) if you'd prefer. There's plenty of benefit to be had without doing them. Steve has how-to videos on his site and YouTube that explain everything beautifully.

You can do great things for your body without ever touching a weight. Best of luck to you!
    I was JUST about to bust out some nerdfitness knowledge. You win.
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    strength training burns a lot more calories than just cardio alone, theres ways to get it done quickly though.

That's not a very accurate statement. A lot depends on intensity and volume. But just taking bread and butter elliptical or treadmill cardio versus bread and butter moderate resistance training, in other words, apples to apples, the cardio is far more effective at burning calories.

What people should more accurately espouse is that it is more effective and healthier to do both. Adding resistance training to your weight loss program has a positive effect on muscle retention, increases in LBM, and better overall conditioning. Which allows you to increase volume and intensity and avoid plateaus.
  • Montemuscle1970
    Montemuscle1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lifting itself doesn't burn a lot of calories. Even an intense 1 hour session might only be about 100 calories. And its not an aerobic exercise. Its the recovery from the intense workout that utilizes the extra calories. So it is a good thing to do in addition to some cardio. Do the weights first so you have the energy to lift the weights as intensely as you can, then do the cardio.

Unfortunately, you need some type of resistance to stimulate muscle growth. You can use body weight if you want to, or light weights, kettle bells, even sandbags. The problem is your body will grow and adapt as much as required and no more. So in order to continue growth you have to lift heavier weights to stimulate hypertrophy. You can certainly pick a desired weight range and once you get to it you can stay there. And when your muscle grow and adapt, you can just continue to lift the same weight. They won't grow but you'll maintain the strength and size they've achieved thus far.

Again, you can just use resistance bands if you want, but some type of resistance your body doesn't get under normal circumstances.

And stretching, I hate it too, but its kind of important, especially when weight training. Your muscles tend to get tighter over time with weights, and you'll lose flexibility. Even a somewhat sedentary lifestyle, like working at a computer most of the day can cause leg and back pain, especially in the hip flexor muscles, as they tighten with less use because they get the range of motion when used. Its sort of a use it or lose it scenario.

You certainly don't have to turn all hulk and start body building, but I would recommend finding a way to get into these things. Try to get a group of friends together and hit the gym for 45-60 minutes a few days a week. Weights are also good for keeping bone density, which is usually stressed as important for females as they're more prone to osteoporosis. My 2 cents :)

EDIT: Sorry! Plug in where I said muscle growth with muscle strength. I realized after thats what you were asking. The same applies, still need resistance. But you can lift heavier weight for less reps if that sounds any more appealing? hehe That will help increase your strength without putting an emphasis on increasing muscle mass and size.
  • Chrisswa
    Chrisswa Posts: 71
    Options
    What about group fitness classes ??? I do Body Vive which is half Cardio and half Resistance/Core training ? it does not have weights but certainly uses muscles
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    kettlebells! they can give you a great work out
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why, exactly, do you hate stretching and lifting? Do they hurt? Do you find it boring? Do you feel uncomfortable in the weight section of the gym?

The general answer is that you can get a lot of strength benefits (especially as a beginner) from bodyweight exercises- squats, dips, pull ups/chin ups, push ups, lunges, etc. But, I have a sneaking suspicion that you're not going to like those options either. It takes a bit more personal dedication and commitment to get the benefits from those types of exercises without weights, but it can be done. So, why don't you like to lift or stretch?

P.S. there's no way to avoid flexibility training. To some degree, with a well designed lifting program, you will be stretching muscle groups as you contract the opposite group, so you might not have to do much (like the triceps stretch out while you're contracting the biceps, and vise versa) but being generally inflexible and not doing *something* to try to correct it is a recipe for injury. Whether that means dedicated stretching time, yoga, dynamic stretching before a workout, or incorporating flexibility principles in to your workout routine is going to depend on your own body.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe it's the moves you're doing? if i only did stuff like bicep curls, skull crushers, tricep kickbacks, side lateral raises i'd hate lifting too.

look into compound movements like deadlifts, squats, pushups, pull up, turkish get up, snatches and push presses, kettlebell swings, etc. these all work multiple muscles and some - like the swings, turkish get ups and olympic lifts - will work your entire body.

the turkish get ups and oly lifts are fun, imo, plus since you don't really see many (if any?) people doing these in the gym, it makes your workout look like a fully loaded banana split next to someone else boring old crumbled-smooshed up-cookie-from-the-bottom -of-the-bookbag workout
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Go to:

www.nerdfitness.com

Great tip!