Anyone heard of the Senna Tea Diet?

Options
I came accross it accidentally and want to know more and I was wondering if anyone had tried it.

Replies

• apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    *raises eyebrow* is this senna as in senna cot the natural laxative?
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly !
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Beat me to it!
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Because uh if it is.... you need to stay close to the bathroom and you'll probably end up very sick and putting on more weight than you lost.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    that sounds like a crappy diet...
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I have to say that this does not sound fun. :sick:
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    You sounds like a laxative tea 'cleanse' thing. Don't bother, if you need laxatives to get you moving you need to make some lifestyle changes, otherwise your bowels can become dependent on laxatives and not work properly without them (this is why people recovering from bulimia who've abused laxatives get 'lazy bowel syndrome.')
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5402360_dangers-senna-tea.html

sounds fun.....

from above article:

Allergies
    Some people are allergic to senna tea. Some users have experienced serious allergic reactions. You should always take senna tea in small amounts the first time and watch for reactions such as swelling of the tongue face or lips and difficulty breathing and swallowing.

Digestive Issues
    Senna tea can worsen digestive issues instead of improving them. These problems are often from overuse. The digestive issues include chronic diarrhea, nausea and stomach cramps. This can lead to dehydration and an electrolyte balance disturbance, which can be fatal.

Laxative Dependency
    Overuse of senna tea can damage the colon and rectum as they become desensitized to the need to defecate. This will cause a strong dependency of more laxatives and cause a recurring long-term issue.

Finger and Toe Enlargement
    An odd side effect of senna use is the growth of the fingers and toes, which become clubbed. This is visible in people with anorexia who abuse the herb. Fortunately, the symptom is reversible when use is discontinued.

Organ Injury
    Overuse of senna tea in known to damage the organs. It can cause Pseudomelanosis coli, a condition that turns the intestines black. This may can cause colorectal cancer. It may cause liver enzyme altercation, chronic liver disease and liver failure. Senna tea can also damage the kidneys and cause renal failure.

Drug Interactions
    Anyone who senna tea must inform their doctor to avoid dangerous drug interactions. There are at lease 123 drugs that cause bad reactions when mixed used with senna tea. Some common drugs that react with senna tea are aspirin, Lasix, Lexapro, Milk of Magnesia, Prilosec and Tylenol. Vitamins C and D may also cause adverse drug interactions when taken with senna tea.

Pregnancy
    Pregnant women should not take senna tea because it can cause premature contractions and miscarrage. Lactating mothers should also avoid it to prevent it from causing a laxative effect in the baby's digestive system.
  • twinmom1993
    Options
    I actually tried it a few years ago. it taste nasty and yes you goooooo...
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    it's also called ballerina tea, if it's what i'm thinking of.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/the-dos-and-donts-of-drinking-ballerina-tea/

dear OP, i hope you're not that stupid.
  • PFJules
    PFJules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    that sounds like a crappy diet...

Sounds a bit sh1t to me........
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. All you will lose is water weight, and when you stop drinking the stuff you will probably retain water. Senna is a laxative. Use it if you're constipated, if you're not then leave it well alone, all you will get is diarrhoea and dehydration.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Ballerina-Tea-Dieters-18-bags/dp/B003SZIISU

here you go, have fun pooping your brains out.
  • jujewelss
    Options
    Ew. That sounds so gross. At least I know what I can take if I have problems.

Thanks for the answers. It was more informative than expected.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Hahah my friend who depends on shakes or meal delivery services used this a few times and swears by it. However she said to only have it on days off or holidays.
    Couldn't think of a worse way to spend relaxing time.
    No wonder she yo yos...
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    I had a box of this tea. I bought it two years ago. I don't really remember the situation, but one could assume I needed a gentle laxative and chose that because I'm not crazy about swallowing pills. Anyway, I was in need of another cup of the tea recently. Since I'd used this before and remember it working well I didn't think too much of it and I thoughtlessly prepared it the way I prepare my green tea -- two bags and let it steep for ages. You're supposed to let ONE bag steep for ten or fifteen minutes. Let's just say I was very unwell afterwards. I'm not sure if it was my accidental overuse or if it was because the tea was a couple of years on my shelf, but it was an extremely unpleasant experience. Needless to say I threw out the box.

Laxative abusive has long term horrible side effects and make no mistake Senna Tea is definitely a laxative.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options

My reaction as well! Senna is a laxative...I'm wouldn't try that...just sayin...
  • caraiselite
    Options
    Ew. That sounds so gross. At least I know what I can take if I have problems.

Thanks for the answers. It was more informative than expected.

that's what google is for.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Sounds AWESOME!!!!!!
    YAY FAD DIETS!!!!!!

Sneeze-Fart-Poop_o_133200.gif
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Sounds AWESOME!!!!!!
    YAY FAD DIETS!!!!!!

Sneeze-Fart-Poop_o_133200.gif

:laugh:

Generally speaking, flee from any diet that has a proper name.