Moving Furniture...burns that much...really?!

Options
I helped my Dad build his man cave for 2 hours today. I lifted couches, scooted a heavy dresser, ran the vac, scrubbed, the works. I only put in 75 minutes b/c I couldn't believe the original estimate of 900 some calories for 120 min! So that hour and 15 min says I burned 680ish! REALLY!!?? Could it be true!? I'll get a job as a mover if that's the case!

Replies

• gennyvieve
    Options
    it's true!!! it's rare that you see heavy movers, right? and if you don't believe it, you'll feel it in muscles that you didn't know existed tomorrow.... :) so take what it says for the full time you worked and enjoy your extra calories for the day---you earned them!!!!!
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    I hope it's true b/c I haven't lost a blasted thing while doing this crazy thing called a "diet". You guys know what this "diet" thing is all about? .......:wink::laugh:
  • amanda0328
    amanda0328 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I moved to my new apt about a couple of years ago and I didn't really lift heavy things, but for two days I was on my feet and lifting boxes and packing. I was sweating too. I even ate fast food during this time. I noticed that my jeans were looser. I notice that cleaning can help burn calories too. If I start glistening (not profusely sweating) while cleaning I know that I'm buring calories.
  • nolan_84
    Options
    I worked as a mover a few years ago and while I don't know if moving stuff around a room is what they mean, I do know that as a job, you do burn quite a few calories. It's kinda like circuit training. You're constantly moving, picking up couches, chairs, TVs, and other various pieces of furniture... A lot of back and forth to the truck and into the house. Lots of walking, it gets you're heart rate up and keeps it up because you just don't stop til you're done. A fully packed truck will take anywhere between 90mins to 3 hrs to unload depending on the items and into what kinda of housing they're going. So as a an actual 'mover' it burns a ton of calories, but as more of a recreational move such as moving furniture around in a house, I would guess that even 650 might be a bit high for 75 minutes. It all depends on how much works you were actually doing. If you were pacing like it was the job, then 650 would be a bit low. In any case, you are probably fairly close, so don't fret. Sorry for the ramble. And Good Job by the way!!!
  • ebh1024
    ebh1024 Posts: 186
    Options
    Wow...I'm glad I am not the only one questioning this "calorie burn". :smile: I have been cleaning house for about 6 1/2 hours today. No kids...Yeah!!:tongue: My house is very large with lots of floor space. I moped the kitchen, living roon, dining room, 4 bathrooms, hallways etc. I know that I didn't do that particular tasks for 6 1/2 hours, but I would say a good 3 hours. Oh, forgot, my bedroom too. Anyway, I put 3 hours of "vigourous cleaning" as my exercise. Would you agreee? :huh: That is alot of calories! I could tell that I was feeling the work. I did manage after all the cleaning to still do the biggest loser cardio max for 25 minutes! :drinker: :drinker: So, I guess I should not feel guilty eating half veggie calzone for dinner! I worked hard for that and deserved it!!!!

Never thought about the comment...never see heavy movers. No joke. Actually I remember a friend of mine starting to work at the hospital cleaning and boy she lost alot of weight quick. So I guess the hard work does pay off!
  • dzneygurl
    Options
    wow that it crazy...i totally moved 3 full rooms around...hauled boxws etc...and didnt think about logging any hours in as exercise. what a huge plus...thanks =)
  • athoob
    athoob Posts: 8
    Options
    Tell me about it... I had a room makeover and burnt more than 2000 cal! It freaked me out.
    but when I got up this morning I found that I caught a cold.