I just can't get going

Options
Why can't I get going with this diet thing? I've been tracking my food for a short while now but am finding it so difficult. I’ll drop a couple of ponds then put it back on. I have an allowance of 1300 calories a day but find I'm always hungry. I am trying to snack on fruit when I'm hungry but this still doesn’t seem to fill me up. I'm on a reception desk all day so am restricted to the things I can eat during work as I have to be discreet. I am beginning to wonder if 1300 is not enough calories for me. I'm 5ft 4 and at the minute 11st.9 I would love to get back under 10 stone. I think if I started to lose a few pounds it would get me motivated to keep going, but it’s just not happening and I feel so deflated!! I returned to work about 6 months ago, prior to this I used to work out 5 days a week and could get away with managing my weight this way, but now I'm back at work going to the gym after work is the last thing I want to do. I'm only managing maybe two workouts a week at best now. I just feel frustrated as I know exercise works for me but fitting it in to my day now is so difficult. Aarrrgghhh!!!

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Try replacing carb-based snack (the fruit) with protien based snack s e.g. cubed and seasoned porl loin steak, nuts, hard boiled egg. It will keep you full longer.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Fill out your profile with your goals and motivations and add some MFP friends - the support will make all the difference!
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i agree with the protein suggestion. protein based foods fill me up for longer than fatty foods.
  • Beksnevin
    Options
    Why can't I get going with this diet thing? I've been tracking my food for a short while now but am finding it so difficult. I’ll drop a couple of ponds then put it back on. I have an allowance of 1300 calories a day but find I'm always hungry. I am trying to snack on fruit when I'm hungry but this still doesn’t seem to fill me up. I'm on a reception desk all day so am restricted to the things I can eat during work as I have to be discreet. I am beginning to wonder if 1300 is not enough calories for me. I'm 5ft 4 and at the minute 11st.9 I would love to get back under 10 stone. I think if I started to lose a few pounds it would get me motivated to keep going, but it’s just not happening and I feel so deflated!! I returned to work about 6 months ago, prior to this I used to work out 5 days a week and could get away with managing my weight this way, but now I'm back at work going to the gym after work is the last thing I want to do. I'm only managing maybe two workouts a week at best now. I just feel frustrated as I know exercise works for me but fitting it in to my day now is so difficult. Aarrrgghhh!!!

I am in the exact same position so dont lose heart just keep on keeping on. I know exactly how you feel! I also had a time issue with gym and found a gym like Shapes and do just 45min circuit training and go home. That and good eating is bound to kick in some time! So my husband keeps emcouraging me - trust me I have had the Oh Woe is ME moments almost daily but I am going to just keep on trying. I have alot to lose which doesnt make my yoyo weight any easier to handle!

I sent you a friend request - maybe we can motivate each other
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Afternoon snacking used to kill me until I started eating protein in the afternoons. I usually have chicken as my afternoon snack. Fills me up and keeps me satisfied.
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree. KEEP GOING. I've been at this nearly 2 years. The first year, I lost 76lbs in the first 8 months, then my husband was going through some tough stuff at work and stopped dieting with me. Without him to compete with, I got a little too relaxed and put nearly 30lbs back on. I have been stuck trying to get rid of those 30lbs for 8 months now. But I'm not giving up. Oh, I REALLY want to some days, but I don't. I think it's a lot of trial and error. You'll find something that will work for you and then stick with it. And yes, get some MRP friends. They are incredibly supportive and great people and will help keep you motivated and pick you up when you're feeling low.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Why not raise your calories a bit? I'm on 1500 and lost 1-2 lbs most weeks. Also, eggs are my best friends. They fill me up so much better than anything else
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Like most of the people above have said, eat more protein for snacks. Carbs (aka fruit and bread) break down very quickly in the body and are the easiest for the body to turn to fat. So if you are very sedentary (desk job), then you are not going to be using the fruit as energy and it is going to just be stored as fat. The protein takes a lot more energy for the body to break down and takes much longer, therefore you will be satisfied longer. As for getting the motivation to work out... just get to it. Even if it is only 20 minutes it is more than 0. And have you every left the gym or got done with a workout and said "I'm upset I did that"? Probably not. People are always happy they do something when they are finished. Keep that in mind! Good Luck!
  • Aidan2312
    Aidan2312 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All good advice. Defo gonna stock up on the protein snacks. He was me thinking eating fruit instead of biscuits was being good.
    I actually feel a bit better than I did earlier reading all you encouraging comments.
    Thanks