Need a little motivation =)

Options
Here is the reason I need a little motivation to continue:

I have been activly exercising 3-4 times a week and eating at or under my calorie goal daily. My ticker says that I have lost 2 pounds but really I was hovering there to begin with and still continue to hover at that same weight. I am not starving but I do feel that I am working hard to stay at my calorie goal with little results on the scale =(

I have lost inches in the hips and waist as a positive
hips down 2 inches
waist down 1 inch

any ideas why my scale is so mean to me?

Replies

• John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights then you are most likely gaining muscle mass and losing fat mass. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes up less room than fat mass. You can be losing major inches and stay around the same weight if you are gaining muscle weight to replace the fat weight. Check out this website! http://www.fitness-health-wellness.com/nutrition/exercise-and-nutrition/articles/does-muscle-really-weigh-more-fat
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hear ya and I have the same problem! I had a wee look at your diary over a week and I feel you aren't eating enough, you come way under cals and thats not a good thing - you need to fuel your body properly, and eat your exercise calories. You've lost INCHES and thats fantastic, its positive and you need to try and focus on that. The scales will keep moving down, ok it might be slow but keep tracking, eat wisely and keep exercising and you will reap the benefits.

If you need motivated I'd be happy to do that so add me if you want :)

Ruth
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are underestimating your intake calories or overestimating your exercise calories.

Your diary over the last two weeks looks pretty consistent at around 1200 net, which should equate to weight loss.

Are you hungry between meals? For my body, I'm not losing weight if I'm not hungry most of the time - that's just how my body works. For some people (including me), some light strength training can help.

I disagree that you will start losing if you eat more. It's probably just an 'accounting error'. Do you use a food scale? Have you checked your exercise calories using HRM or other methods?
  • relucas81
    Options
    So you have lost inches, are eating health, and exercising regularly..

Sounds like all you have left to do is throw away the scale.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree and have mentioned to you before that you need to eat more. That why I asked if you were hungry.
    I started at 1200 and my trainer told me it was too low so I put my base calories up to 1400 for the days
    I dont exercise and 1500 for the days I did exercise. I lost just as much weight if not more.
  • dynad
    dynad Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as you, that scale never moves
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - I have been excerising consistently and eating well but my scale doesn't change. I don't know if I can help but this is what I have done:

1. I went on a scale diet - I haven't weighed myself all month (my goal was to make it to Labour Day)
    2. I tried to be more accountable for what I ate - some days when I was under my goal I was only at like 700-900 calories which isn't enough and will work against a person)
    3. I count every loss for what it is a LOSS - it is better than it was before!
    4. I stopped beating myself up - this is a process and in the beginning you will be building lean muscle so there are changes happening that you won't see reflected in the scale right away.

Way to go on the inches lost! I am due for my measurements on the week end (fingers crossed). Give this sometime - don't give up if you don't see the numbers change right away - you will succeed, you have already lost inches and that means something is working!
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    Your body could be retaining water if you are eating too much sodium and not drinking a lot of water. That could be one reason. Change your food settings to show how much sodium you're taking and track it. But you're losing inches wise! And that's what counts more than the scale!

It took a while but I had to train myself to not rely on the scale as much as I used to. There are so many different things that factor in to weight fluctuation and the numbers not moving how we'd like them to. Water retention, muscle growth etc.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    So you have lost inches, are eating health, and exercising regularly..

Sounds like all you have left to do is throw away the scale.

I agree! Muscle is much denser than fat, so a scale is a poor judge of how fit we are! Focus on the inches lost and forget the pounds!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips:

1) Eat as close to your goal as possible (a little over is OK too)
    2) Track sodium and stay under recommended amount
    3) Reset your goals to lose 1/2 to 1 lb less than you currently are. So if you're set to lose 2 lbs a week, then make it 1 or 1 1/2 lb loss. Remember, you'll still be in a deficit, but you'll be eating more and giving your body the fuel it needs.
    4) Drink tons of water

Good luck!

p.s. now, I will go and practice what I preach to get the summer vacation weight off!!
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hello,are you drinking enough water & you having to much sodium i'v cut down on that,try not to stress about it because you gain then to. feel free to add me.