Cinnamon -- the diet wonder?

Options
just heard this from my daughter yesterday. Cinnamon can help with weight loss? Apparently it kicks your metabolism into a higher gear? I'm gonna give it a shot..I love it anyhow. Just wondered if this has been known for awhile and I'm just now hearing it?

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I've heard that somewhere also but not sure regarding the validity of it. I have always put about 1/4 tsp a day in my breakfast oatmeal even before I was trying to lose weight and the only weight I have managed to lose in the past couple months was water and about .25 lbs a week if I am lucky. Though I honestly think that my problem is that MFP decided I should starve. I did not agree so I have been trying to find my 'magic number' . Maybe it will kick in when I do :)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Ok I looked this up and this is something that has been known at least somewhat for a while. Basically, in diabetic patients, it increases their metabolism of glucose which isn't the same as your metabolism in general.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2000/12/01/2065/cinnamon-increases-metabolism-twenty-fold/

I love cinnamon so I add it to a lot of things I eat.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    If it sounds too good to be true......

Come on guys, cinnamon?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of cinnamon...but that's just because my son and I really love it! LOL
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    "Cinnamon has a regulatory effect on blood sugar levels and simultaneously increases insulin levels in the body. It imitates the biological activity of insulin and increases the metabolism of glucose. Since high blood sugar levels can lead to increased storage of fat by the body, cinnamon helps prevent this increased storage of fat and enables you to lose weight. In addition, it influences the manner in which sugar is metabolized by the body and prevents the transformation of the metabolized sugar into fat. Cinnamon also delays the passing of food from the stomach into the intestine. Hence, you feel satisfied for a longer time and eat less. This helps you lose weight. Cinnamon also helps the body to process carbohydrates more efficiently and this assists you in losing a few pounds. Studies show that abdominal fat is more sensitive to the effects of cinnamon than fat from other parts of the body." (http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-a-scoop-of-cinnamon-a-day-can-help-you-lose-weight.html)

Lots of superfoods can help in your weight loss, such as (from the top of my head) apples, kale, oats, blueberries, chiles, quinoa, avocados, raspberries...
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I add it to my protein drink in the AM after a run. I did read somewhere about it having positive health effects, but it actually just helps the protein drink more palatable.

To be honest, no food additive will ever boost your metabolism like getting off the sofa and exercising. :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    no one spice is going to work too much magic. I sprinkle it on my coffee grounds daily and I'm still far from my goal! :noway:
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Oh and it should be noted, the studies were actually on Cassia (which is what you will normally get in US stores labelled as Cinnamon). If you are buying true Cinnamon, I don't know if they contain the same polyphenols that were associated with the studies done.
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    I'm not sure it does much for weight loss, at least not for me. I sprinkle in coffee because I like that taste. I have read that it helps control blood sugar. :smile:
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/cinnamon-for-weight-loss.html -- also it is the Ceylon that you NEED to look for not the Cassia (sold in most stores) ..which means I will have to check another label. I don't want a quick fix..I am totally in love with my fitbit and my walks and my zumba. But I LOVE cinnamon just never thought to sprinkle it on additional foods that I'm not already cooking. I'm giving it a go and gonna keep a note on if I notice any difference. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of research that cinnamon helps regulate blood sugars. However, I think the benefits in using it as a weight loss aid are likely minimal. I don't think sprinkling a little on your food helps. You would need to take a supplement. That being said, cinnamon is one of my favorite flavors, so I eat it pretty often. :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/cinnamon-for-weight-loss.html -- also it is the Ceylon that you NEED to look for not the Cassia (sold in most stores) ..which means I will have to check another label.

This is true too. Cassia, which is what most of us are using for flavoring, does not have the same effects.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,677 Member
    Options
    It helps, but not to the effect of noticeable weight loss. That really boils down more to your calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    just heard this from my daughter yesterday. Cinnamon can help with weight loss? Apparently it kicks your metabolism into a higher gear? I'm gonna give it a shot..I love it anyhow. Just wondered if this has been known for awhile and I'm just now hearing it?

Yep a spoonful every morning will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdM_u5y5m5A
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I would think if it was a "diet wonder", then everyone would be putting cinnamon on everything and losing weight

:noway:
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=68 This may be of interest to some people.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon aids in keeping insulin levels at a constant. Making you less hungry a little longer than normal. I add cinnamon to my coffee every morning. Diabetes run in the family maybe this in conjunction with weightloss will help to stave it off a bit.
  • bfitnbfab
    Options
    "I would think if it was a "diet wonder", then everyone would be putting cinnamon on everything and losing weight"
    ^^^^This!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Stop seeking miracles people. Eat whole non processed foods, workout and don't eat more than you burn, simple.
    I never understood why people always feel the need to complicate life, are we all just so much smarter than our biology??? Get bored easy??? Need excitement????
    Just keep it simple, eat all the healthy foods you like and lose weight. Done
  • gibsonshm
    gibsonshm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! Great information about Cinnamon!!! Thanks