Carb Watchers!

Options
I would like to hear from those who are watching carbs. I have started watching mine and would like to hear what your carb goals are and the success you have had with it. I have done Atkins in the past and lost weight but it just was not sustainable because I hated the foods I was eating and honestly, I am a fan of carbs and it is just not feasible for me to adapt to a lifestyle with such strict carb limits. This time I am trying to focus on good versus bad carbs but I still want the majority of my diet to consist of protein and fat. I am just curious about what the threshold is for other people that have continuous weight loss.

I am not interested in hearing how cutting carbs is horrible, unhealthy, etc. etc. I have PCOS and I do not metabolize carbs like every other person without hormone issues. I am not talking about a diet of bunless bacon cheeseburgers and mayonnaise so please spare me all of the Atkins bashing and how important carbs are. I know my body and I know what works for me. Even my doctor agrees that eating low GI foods/keeping carbs in check is the way for me to go.

Thanks in advance for your responses, I look forward to hearing what you carb watchers are doing.

Replies

• cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I aim for net carbs of around 100 per day. I am losing wight weight slowly but it is coming off. I also limit my calories to the MFP recommendation for me. When I consume carbs I look for foods that have a low glycemic index so it will have a small impact on blood sugar. My breakfast is two eggs and two slices of bacon. Lunch is usually a salad with shredded cheese and regular ranch dressing. Dinner is normally a weight watchers recipe (my wife follows that) that is also low on carbs. I snack on berries and nuts mostly. If I am working out I will up my carb intake only if it is a vigorous workout (e.g. 3 hour bike ride). If my calories and carbs stay where I want them I will lose weight regardless of my fat intake, which is usually high by USDA standards. I have lost 20 pounds since May 1st.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    My Dad watches his carbs and he rarely eats any carbs, even fruits.
    He has lost tonnes of inches as well if you can keep up with it your body will get use to hating carbs or you will not have the craving. I'm speaking from his experience and as well mine.
    I personally am a picky eater, pasta and bread is just not interesting to me, when I order a Buffalo Chicken Sandwich I usually rip most of the bread off and just eat the chicken. As well I never order pasta from restaurants.
    Last time I ate bread was trying to prepare for a night out drinking and all it did was make me sick as my body was not use to the expanding. My dad has the same problem when he eats white carbs he gets sick now or just feel horrible.
    But since I do work out and he doesn't I do still have my oatmeal if i plan to do a hard workout as well I love my fruit.
    Those are basically the only carbs I eat and I'm pretty skinny.
    5'6 and 120~ lbs. Hope that all helps
  • msapril17
    msapril17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That is so on board to what I am thinking as well. Thank you!
  • porter09
    porter09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hi, i lost about 130lbs counting calories then been the same weight for over a year, lost inches but weighed the same, i work out at least 5 or 6 days a week 2 strength training days and from the end of june i stopped eating as many carbs, mostly protein salad and veg all cooked healthily no atkins or anything silly, after the gym i will have a mini wrap with my food and sometimes have a 50 calorie slice of bread with banana and pnut butter for breakfast, on a sunday i tend to have a few more carbs as some days i go without having any at all and since then i have lost around 33lbs, i am 5 10 and weigh around 179lbs although ppl tell me i dont look like it lol i put that down to having more muscle. so i would say it has worked for me.