cold weather running shoes

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I wondered what people put on their feet for winter running. I know a lot of people do just use their regular shoes. I live in the country, and my feet will be soaked within minutes of leaving the house, and it will also be slippery under foot round here, because we don't often get gritted. So ... I'd quite like something waterproof, and something that will help me not slip and slide about. What sorts of things do you wear?

Replies

• chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing because this will be my first winter for running. My friends who are long time runners have told me to get thick socks/wool socks and not to wear mesh running shoes. Looking forward to reading others advice!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I've seen waterproof trail runners by North Face in REI.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I never have any problems with my feet getting cold wearing the same shoes and socks I normally wear. That's in temperatures down to 20°F. When it's cold and wet, I have a pair of StormSocks that I wear.

http://www.rei.com/product/729120/seirus-hyperlite-stormsocks-waterproof-socks

As for the traction issue. There really isn't anything for icy conditions, except for YakTrax. You cold try trail shoes, but I don't think they would make much difference. If you are running in snow, then regular shoes work just fine, until it becomes compressed into ice.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I run in MN all winter long and use the same socks & shoes. While my feet might be cold at first, they warm up after a few minutes. However, I will add that I am a warm runner.

I have a friend who is not a warm runner and she often will take bread bags and line her shoes with them. Works for her and cheap
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas so I don't really worry about this. But I would suggest looking at North Face or REI
  • asgumbs86
    asgumbs86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Might be an idea to get some hiking waterproof trainers then, they normally are made to be very durable but make sure that you get the stability and cushion as well as support. So if you can try them on walk around in them before buying.

Also what i try to do because i do alot of running on grass and outdoors in the winter is get a pair of leather trainers, they trap alot of heat keeping your feet warm (becareful tho because this can be a bad thing, means generally they contain alot more sweat and smell because it will be harder for the sweat to be aired out) also easier to clean, most things just wipe off and protect against water better than material trainers. Hope this has helped.

:smile:
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Some people wear Gor Tex trainers, lots of the big brands do them, Solomon especially. However I really hated the solomons I bought and gave them away after about 5 runs. I tend to wear ASIC gel attacks and I have for the past few winters. They are a trail shoe so the grip is pretty good. They are not water proof though. Today I did 18 muddy miles and one foot got plenty drenched on a few occasions. The down side of Gor Tex is if water gets in the top of the shoe it will not be able to drain out. With regards to warmth I don't get cold feet running, so socks etc stay the same winter and summer.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Nice thread. I was thinking that too as I have never ran in the winter ( though the summer we are having is a good precursor).

I do mostly pavement pounding (as you know) and am curious how my current shoes will cope with the constantly slick and wet surfaces here.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    My regular sneakers and I swear by SmartWool PhD running socks. I don't use anything for traction, even though I've lived in some seriously snowy areas and run through blizzards.

Be a bada$$ it's more fun.
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea to get gortex shoes. I found a pair by nike the other day, but solomon does make lots of high quality gortex stuff, so those ones would probably be pretty good. You can also find online chains for your running shoes (just like you would put on your car tires) to prevent yourself from slipping in harsh winter weather.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I used to run in Alaska down to -20F in normal running shoes. The only thing we did was wear thicker wool socks instead of normal running socks.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Flow Treks :happy:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I keep the same shoes, but I wear smartwool socks, they are awesome. If the snow is light, or powdery I have no issues in regular shoes, if its wet or slushy, I have some slip on grippers, a little different from yak trax. If you are running in really sloppy conditions maybe a waterproof pair of trail shoes are needed?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Flow Treks :happy:

all roads lead to vibrams? :-D

The roads near here tend to get a pretty thick sheath of ice over them, in places. Not too worried about snow, more about the ice. I'll look at socks.

I'm clearly not tough enough. Running at -20C sounds scary.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm clearly not tough enough. Running at -20C sounds scary.

My coach lives in Fairbanks. He's posted pictures of all the gear he has to put on to run in temps like that. It's crazy. He comes in with little icicles hanging all over him. :happy: