My first 5K

Options
icemann78x
icemann78x Posts: 17 Member
So as I started my weight loss journey 3 months ago my wife decided to sign me up for a 5K. At the time I was 300lbs and thought she had lost her mind. I started walking and eventually running. At first my goal was simply to survive the ordeal. Then as I got more and more active my goals changed. My next goal was I wanted to run the whole thing with out stopping. A month before the 5K I realized I could do that already and I needed to up my goal. So then I decided I wanted to run the whole thing in less than 35 minutes. A week before the event I realized I could do that too. Finally I decided I would push my 2 year old son in his jogging stroller and still be under 35 minutes. This goal served two purposes because it freed up my wife and allowed her to reach her goal of running it under 30 minutes. Yesterday was the race and I came in at 34:33 while pushing my son in his stroller. It was a great feeling when we crossed the finish line. I am already scheduling my next run and looking to step it up a notch too.
Keep the faith on your journey. The real tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goals but it having no goals to reach for.

Replies

• Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    wow, this is great!!! you did it under 35 min:) and good weightloss, too!
  • Rinny1015
    Options
    Great story and thanks for sharing! Im going to attempt my first 5K in Nov and very excited!
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Absolutely brilliant!!

what a great post! ... (i've just started C25K.. and this has given me lots of hope!)

I sooooo want to RUN!
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Congrats, it feels amazing and you did great! :)
  • bet3120
    bet3120 Posts: 125
    Options
    So as I started my weight loss journey 3 months ago my wife decided to sign me up for a 5K. At the time I was 300lbs and thought she had lost her mind. I started walking and eventually running. At first my goal was simply to survive the ordeal. Then as I got more and more active my goals changed. My next goal was I wanted to run the whole thing with out stopping. A month before the 5K I realized I could do that already and I needed to up my goal. So then I decided I wanted to run the whole thing in less than 35 minutes. A week before the event I realized I could do that too. Finally I decided I would push my 2 year old son in his jogging stroller and still be under 35 minutes. This goal served two purposes because it freed up my wife and allowed her to reach her goal of running it under 30 minutes. Yesterday was the race and I came in at 34:33 while pushing my son in his stroller. It was a great feeling when we crossed the finish line. I am already scheduling my next run and looking to step it up a notch too.
    Keep the faith on your journey. The real tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goals but it having no goals to reach for.

Waow tha's inspiration, thanks for the sharing, this last sentences was a hit for me " The real tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goals but it having no goals to reach for", can i use it
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! I can just imagine your son's hair blowing in the breeze as that stroller went so fast. Congratulations!
  • icemann78x
    Options
    I can't take the credit. I took it from the internet. Actually it is a picture I printed out and have on my office door. It inspires me to run on my lunch break every day.

http://www.fuelrunning.com/quotes/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/243.jpg
  • wheelinqueen
    wheelinqueen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That you for sharing! I too have just started the C25k and this totally has me pumped to finish the program so I can run my first 5k!
  • JoanPB
    JoanPB Posts: 8
    Options
    Congratulations on a job well done! I am now motivated to find my running shoes!
  • Bub70
    Bub70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Amazing job. Just ran my 2nd 5k this weekend. Started working out in March at over 260lbs and am now at 195lbs. Doesn't it feel incredible when you reach your goals? It makes all the hard work worth it. Congrats!!
  • icemann78x
    Options
    Thank you all for saying this was inspirational. I definitely looked here for inspiration a lot at the start too. It really does feel good to hit my goals. The best thing is knowing I can play in the back yard with my son and not be that guy that is winded and sweating up a storm. I won't struggle to keep up with him.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, i started running in March with the couch to 5K, I got to the 5 week and just got bored with it so I downloaded my own songs and started running. I am up to 1.5 miles with ease now. I am registered for a 5K in Nov. A year ago I couldnt even climb the stairs at work without being winded now I run up them. Congrats on your sucess
  • lldem
    lldem Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    great motivational post! Congrats on yur run! I've started C25k also and my first fun run is in Nov. I'm doing 35 min now and trying to lower that! my goal was to finish also now its to do it in that time. I love running/jogging now - it's addictive!!
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great story, keep up the good work.
  • Melissa592
    Options
    I saw you're from Mulberry, FL...did you do the Run for the Fallen??? I live in Riverview and ran the 5k yesterday! Great job!!! :)
  • icemann78x
    Options
    Yes I did the Run for the Fallen. Still waiting on the pictures from the event to post. It was a great first run. I am looking forward to many more.
  • Melissa592
    Options
    That's fantastic! I used to run a lot of them (in like 28 mins) but then I gained weight and haven't run in a while. I signed up for one a month...Sun was the first one (took me 43 mins!)...but now I have a time to beat for the one next month. I'm training to beat each previous time from the race the month before...all 5k's and then a 5 miler in Jan. It's going to be a challenge for sure! Keep it up!! :)
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    That's awesome! I completed my first 5k a few days ago at 37 minutes. Already signed up for my next at the end of the month. want to go this time under 35. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    I can't take the credit. I took it from the internet. Actually it is a picture I printed out and have on my office door. It inspires me to run on my lunch break every day.

http://www.fuelrunning.com/quotes/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/243.jpg

This is one of the best quotes ever; we have to look in all areas of our life to set goals and dreams. The sad part is there are far TOO many of us who don't have any goals and it reaps so many downfalls in life.
  • icemann78x
    Options
    I agree. I am striving to be better every day. Faster or farther. I want to work up to do the Gasparilla 10k in March. It's a lofty goal but I thought a 5k in 3 months was too. Keep working hard.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!