C25K'ers need an opinion

Options
So today was week 5 day 3, the dreaded 20 minutes straight. I didn't finish, I did do 15 minutes and then another two. Week 6 Day 1 is another interval day, would you advance to week 6 or repeat that last day of week 5.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I personally repeated entire weeks of the program. I wanted to be able to do the week at a certain pace before moving on. It took me 13 weeks to do the 8 week program and then a couple more weeks to actually be able to run 5K.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't finish the program but I was repeating weeks until I was going through them without feeling like I was going to die. I actually quit at week 5 day 3 and started running outside. I'm now running about an hour straight with not much trouble. You basically need to listen to your body. If you start a part of the c25k program and it seems too difficult, don't be afraid to go back a day or two. C25k is a really good program. Just take it easy and follow the advice on the coolrunnings site. You don't want to hurt yourself.
    Good Luck!
    Doug
  • KathyMarie1970
    KathyMarie1970 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I rarely repeated days. I found that I had a terrible run on repeats instead of improving. It was all mental. But if I moved up a level, I would have a good run and do fine. I'm a little too hard on myself.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I too repeated weeks. I dont think it is a good idea to push ahead when you havent really "mastered" a piece of the program. Now it might have just been an off day, but I dont see where repeating would hurt and probably would in the end be of benefit.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always repeat a day if I can't do it. I wouldn't repeat the whole week, just keep trying until you can do the 20 minutes (try going more slowly) and then move on to week 6. If you can't finish the third workout of week 5, you'll not be able to do the third workout of week 6.

Best of luck to you and congrats for making it past the halfway mark! :smile:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and move on to week 6. If you still have trouble there then think about dropping back and doing week 5 again. The fitness you gained in week 5, even if one day was a little short, likely will leave you in good shape for week six as long as you beieve that you can do it.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm a repeater, too. It took me about 16 weeks to complete C25K, but that's okay. I didn't run 5K until a couple of weeks ago. But, that too will get better.

Just keep at it and you'll make it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Repeat the entire week and go much, much slower than before. Once you've got the duration, the speed will come naturally.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So today was week 5 day 3, the dreaded 20 minutes straight. I didn't finish, I did do 15 minutes and then another two. Week 6 Day 1 is another interval day, would you advance to week 6 or repeat that last day of week 5.

I'd say repeat. no shame at all in going back until you are comfortable with any training module before moving on.

congrats on making it so far into c25k..you are almost home and dry!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    In my OCD mind, if I didn't complete the full 20 minute run, it wouldn't "count" and therefore I would repeat it until I was able to accomplish it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you didn't finish, then repeat it. Sounds like you ran for 17 minutes total.. which is pretty close to 20.

I never repeated days or weeks, but thats me... the program is different for everyone.
  • hellou76
    hellou76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tried and tried over and over and couldn't break week 4 eventually I gave up on the set targets of the c25k and just focused on building up my run intervals at a pace that suited me, once I could run 10mins then I set myself goal to get try 12 then 15 and so on, it took me almost a full year to be able to run more than 20mins at a time but now I can run a full 5k... still I can't get it under 36mins... it doesn't matter how long it takes just that you don't stop the training altogether, you will have to decide whatis best for you.
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would take a day off and try day 3 of week 5 again. If I did better on the second try I would continue with week 6, otherwise repeat week 5. I'm currently only on week 2 though.
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    No shame in repeating weeks - I do it ALL the time! I do not advance onto the next week until I can easily complete the current week/day. I don't want to set myself up for failure.
  • duckfloats
    Options
    Keep at it, whatever you decide. You're doing great.

I'm doing c25k also, and the 20 minute run is tomorrow for me. I'm pumped that I could do the two 8-minute runs without stopping. My only advice is slow down and work on the endurance, not the speed... if that's an issue for you.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    If you can't finish a day, repeat it the next time. It's better to repeat a day or week than to progress too quickly too soon and possibly injure yourself.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    I'd definitely say to repeat it! I remember how frightening that day was, but how proud I felt once I finished it! I repeated days if I couldn't finish them, to prove to myself I could!

I now run all the time, long distances, and pretty quick ;)
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating W5 for the 3rd time I'm not comfortable enough with myself to move on so I stay on it til I can complete it with no struggles.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Okay, I will admit I am NOT a C25K'er but because I've injured myself; this will be my training to get back to my regular running without over doing. That being said, if you didn't actually accomplish a day, I would repeat it until you accomplish it before moving forward. Moving forward means you've accomplished all that is behind you and you're ready to add on....you're not. You could even go back and start the week over. There is no shame in repeating steps or weeks; your body/fitness level just isn't there yet. If you advance when your not ready, you could wind up hurting yourself and then you won't be doing anything at all or be starting from scratch...don't do that. Listen to your body and repeat until you have that fitness level to move to the next week. You can do it! I know you can!!
  • mindygood
    mindygood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are currently in week 8... we have been doing the program for 7 weeks doubling up on one of the easier weeks... I would move forward. Or just repeat the one day if you feel you need to. The key is to pace. There are times when I feel like I am barling moving but have been able to complete the 20,25 and now 28 minute runs. It is all about pacing and consistance. It also helps that my 300Lb husband doesn't quit.. It makes me, who is much smaller and more fit, not want to quit. A course you are familiar with and can know about when it is time to stop and good tunes help too!!!!