Hungry after moderate cardio workouts

Options
AnR28
AnR28 Posts: 56 Member
^ Is this a good sign (referring to topic)?

Replies

• AnR28
    Options
    And what kinds of foods does everyone eat post workout, later in the evenings? I had a greek yogurt after I got home, an hour before bed post-workout.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I normally eat a protein rich snack, like a protein bar or some chicken, helps to repair the body :smile:
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Greek yogurt is perfect. I also like almond butter on a slice of bread or a protein bar.
  • AnR28
    Options
    Sounds good! I tried to avoid something with sugars in it as it was close to bed time.
  • AnR28
    Options
    Also, is it a good sign to be hungry after a cardio workout? Does that mean I moved my *kitten* enough?! :laugh:
  • nkcatanzano
    Options
    Yes, if you run hard enough or long enough your heart rate will reach the fat burning beat and cardio beat. You're burning fat, therefore when you are done your body has used a lot of energy and needs some fuel for the rest of the day. Good sign! happens to me everyday! I eat a piece of fruit, protein and yogurt after EVERY run!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with cardio. For some people it will make them hungrier than usual, and if it was a moderate workout the first thing you put in your mouth will negate all the calories you burned.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I did 45 minutes of Cardio last night and was ravenous afterward... It was like I couldn't get enough food. I've learned to eat when my body gets like that. Just wasn't sure why? Thanx
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with cardio. For some people it will make them hungrier than usual, and if it was a moderate workout the first thing you put in your mouth will negate all the calories you burned.

which is bad because.... ?

Lol!
  • AnR28
    Options

It is true that it could prompt irrational eating if one isn't paying attention. However, your body still did the work!!! Your blood got pumping and that is an important thing not to overlook!
  • AnR28
    Options
    Yes, if you run hard enough or long enough your heart rate will reach the fat burning beat and cardio beat. You're burning fat, therefore when you are done your body has used a lot of energy and needs some fuel for the rest of the day. Good sign! happens to me everyday! I eat a piece of fruit, protein and yogurt after EVERY run!

Do you run at night?
  • DavPul
    Options

It is true that it could prompt irrational eating if one isn't paying attention. However, your body still did the work!!! Your blood got pumping and that is an important thing not to overlook!

I didn't overlook it. I assumed that part of the reason you're running is to lose weight. If your main focus is to get your blood pumping then you're doing just fine.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Well that depends on how much they burned and how much they stuff in their gobs after really.

There is no problem with cardio whatsoever, it is good for the heart, good for weightloss, good for fitness, good for mental health.
  • meerkat70
    Options

Your logic is very peculiar. I believe you're amongst the group of people who believe it is important to 'fuel a workout'. (I concur.) So why is it an issue that you 'eat back' what you've burned off?
  • DavPul
    Options

Your logic is very peculiar. I believe you're amongst the group of people who believe it is important to 'fuel a workout'. (I concur.) So why is it an issue that you 'eat back' what you've burned off?

I think my use of the word "problem" is causing a problem here. In theory, if you are already at a deficit, then eating back your exercise calories is perfectly fine. The "problem" some people run into, is that they eat back too many calories and are no longer in a deficit. Some end up in a surplus while some may still have a small deficit but not enough to give them the weight loss results they are looking for.

The OP is feeling increased hunger from "moderate" cardio. What would we guess was the burn from moderate cardio? 200 cal? 300? Make it 400 if you want. Now the OP has a Gatorade or a glass of V8 or orange juice while cooling down. Then we add some greek yogurt or whatever. We've eaten back our exercise calories already. That's fine as long as it stops there. But for a lot of people, increased appetite means an extra serving of rice on the plate. Or a bigger piece of chicken. Or a slice of cheesecake.

What I'm saying is it's very, very easy to overeat the calorie allowance. Also, it's very easy to overestimate the calories burned. That's the "issue" I'm getting at. I have no problem with cardio. My swim trunks are drying outside now from a morning swim. I damn sure have no issue with eating, as anybody who's seen my food log can attest.

All I'm getting at is that while everybody is saying "attaboy, go ahead and eat up", I'm saying use caution, because the margin between success and failure with cardio (when weight loss is the goal) is very slim.
  • DavPul
    Options

Well that depends on how much they burned and how much they stuff in their gobs after really.

There is no problem with cardio whatsoever, it is good for the heart, good for weightloss, good for fitness, good for mental health.

It may seem like you're disagreeing with me, but you actually just reworded exactly what I said. So thanks!
  • AnR28
    Options
    At what point did this turn into an argumentative post?

ahahha

Guys, we all know to exercise caution with portions, regardless of our activity level. I was simply curious to know what feeling hunger after working out later in the evening meant and also any good post-workout foods to eat that are lower in calorie, nutritious, and ok for later in the evening.

Any one else have some tips?
  • meerkat70
    Options
    AR, good post workout foods are ones that will give you a bit of a protein boost. If you've worked hard enough that your hydration is low, you could consider something that would include some electrolytes. There are some post workout recovery drinks intended for endurance workouts that give you a good balanced shot of protein and carbs.

Someone already mentioned yoghurt - this is a natural food with a good protein: carb ratio. You could try a handful of nuts - always nice. I sometimes scramble a couple of eggs after a run. Protein drinks are an option. If you put some protein in the tank, it reduces the post-workout munches pretty considerably. Hot chocolate and chocolate milk can be nice, depending on the weather. Or any milk-based (or almond milk / soya milk / appropriate vegan alternative) drink is good.

It's probably best to play around and find the one that works best for you.
  • AnR28
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!

AR, good post workout foods are ones that will give you a bit of a protein boost. If you've worked hard enough that your hydration is low, you could consider something that would include some electrolytes. There are some post workout recovery drinks intended for endurance workouts that give you a good balanced shot of protein and carbs.

Someone already mentioned yoghurt - this is a natural food with a good protein: carb ratio. You could try a handful of nuts - always nice. I sometimes scramble a couple of eggs after a run. Protein drinks are an option. If you put some protein in the tank, it reduces the post-workout munches pretty considerably. Hot chocolate and chocolate milk can be nice, depending on the weather. Or any milk-based (or almond milk / soya milk / appropriate vegan alternative) drink is good.

It's probably best to play around and find the one that works best for you.
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I have been participating in Nike Training Club for about 2 weeks. Last night, I did it and ate a normal dinner. 3 hours later, I was starving when heading home from a late night church meeting! I stopped and purchased some food that I didn't really want to eat because I couldn't go to bed that hungry. I had to research hunger after workout because I felt that incident was counter productive. I found this helpful. The blow statement really summarizes how I felt last night.