Running newbie - sore hip

Options
I'm following a plan from a book 'Running made easy' and am up to running for 8 mins, walking for 2 mins, then repeat twice - making 30 minutes total. I'm 38, 5'7" and 157 lbs. I got new running shoes for over-pronators, I take a joint supplement for runners and I use the 'In for 3, out for 2' breathing pattern recommended by my book - all to try to protect my joints. I've noticed my hip is sore the day after a run. Wondered if there was anything else I should - or shouldn't - be doing to protect it? I'm just starting to really enjoy my running and would be gutted if I had to stop because I knackered my hip. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, my OH s******ed at me when I said I alternated between running my route in a clockwise and anti-clockwise direction when I'm running a circular route on pavements (sidewalks for any non-UKers). I don't think that's silly is it? All our pavements are on a slight tilt!

Replies

• b_mour
    b_mour Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When one side joint hurts more then the other, I found out it was from the way that I walked or ran. Concentrate on how you are running and walking. Normally it is from favoring one side more then the other, or the position of your foot on the landing. Foot pointed more in or out? Landing harder on one foot more then the other? Landing on foot more on the outside or inside?

Back down til pain is gone. Then slowly build the excerise back up. I found out also, the body loves being lazy and it will send out sore spots just so you will stop excerising. I have had a knee, found out it was muscles around the knee wasn't holding knee in place. After physical therapy, back to excerise. Had a sore ankle, that was from foot position and landing. That was from favoring the right leg, still from the knee. LOL! If it isn't one thing it is two others. :-)

Doctor comfirmed keep excerising, the excerise was not causing the pain. Just check in with a doctor if pain persists.
  • b_mour
    b_mour Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Doctor did tell me to walk one way then turn around and walk back on same side due to tilt. So you are doing great!
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I to am new to running (up to 12-16 miles a a week) and what I have found is at some point everything from the waist down will get sore then better. Take a day of rest if needed then try again. Good luck!
  • brandyla78
    Options
    Question too...sorry to jump in the thread but thought someone could answer this if they answered the original one :) I work out daily - Curves at lunch and then some sort of circuit training with 30 minutes to 45 mins Cardio at night...and I'm in pretty good shape. My husband runs Mornings and evenings. Anyway over the past couple of months the VERY few times I have gone with him ( we only go 2 miles at a jog when I go) I end up with pain--afterwards that last for several days- like where my shin bone(inside) and muscle meet...that's the only way I can explain it...but it feels like someone kicked the crap out of me on both legs...I bought new shoes for outdoor running but that didn't help...what do ya think? This doesn't happen on a tread mill and I can go much farther. Also any hints on how to hold my arms so I don't feel like they are taking so much of my energy; I try to remind myself to relax my shoulders...what else can I do. I don't want to become a runner but I want to go running with my hubby sometimes and don't want to be in pain afterwards.
  • AliJelliBelli
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Will be very pleased to tell OH that I'm not a crazy! and will just keep an eye on my gait. I know as I get tired my posture starts to go - I stop holding my tummy in and start to slouch a bit. *tut tut*

@brandyla - sounds like shin splints to me. I'm not suffered with this myself but if you do a quick search you should get some tips - it's very common in women I think.

Good luck with your running everyone! :smile:
  • nkcatanzano
    Options
    Question too...sorry to jump in the thread but thought someone could answer this if they answered the original one :) I work out daily - Curves at lunch and then some sort of circuit training with 30 minutes to 45 mins Cardio at night...and I'm in pretty good shape. My husband runs Mornings and evenings. Anyway over the past couple of months the VERY few times I have gone with him ( we only go 2 miles at a jog when I go) I end up with pain--afterwards that last for several days- like where my shin bone(inside) and muscle meet...that's the only way I can explain it...but it feels like someone kicked the crap out of me on both legs...I bought new shoes for outdoor running but that didn't help...what do ya think? This doesn't happen on a tread mill and I can go much farther. Also any hints on how to hold my arms so I don't feel like they are taking so much of my energy; I try to remind myself to relax my shoulders...what else can I do. I don't want to become a runner but I want to go running with my hubby sometimes and don't want to be in pain afterwards.

When you run, you work an enormous amount of muscles in your body that you may not work when doing specific workout or classes. That is your body telling you, man you ran hard on me today and are gaining leg muscles. When I don't run for a couple of days, my calves definitely let me know. As for running treadmill versus on ground, they are totally different. The treadmill runs itself and you are just a rider in a sense. It is still a great way to run (especially when it is cold outside :D) but running on ground yourself does take more energy. There is a machine at my gym, (i believe it is called the Curve 30) and it is a manual treadmill. You must run the pace you want or the treadmill will not move. The pain will go away if you consistently run or walk on ground. Great work running 2 miles with him though! keep it uppppp!!!!
  • PurpleCoyote
    PurpleCoyote Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    .I bought new shoes for outdoor running but that didn't help...what do ya think? This doesn't happen on a tread mill and I can go much farther. Also any hints on how to hold my arms so I don't feel like they are taking so much of my energy; I try to remind myself to relax my shoulders...what else can I do. I don't want to become a runner but I want to go running with my hubby sometimes and don't want to be in pain afterwards.

Pain sounds like shin splints, or maybe you're just running too fast? I find if I slow down and focus on my form my feet get into a better position (somehow) and I get less pain.

As for form, I was told by a running friend to run like a T-rex, arms in and tucked into the body a bit and at a slight forward tilt. I feel like an idiot but at least my arms aren't flapping about! There may well be a better suggestion though :)