C25k beginners

Options
I started the c24k last night. Week 1 day 1. Please tell me it gets easier..I thought I was going to die!

Replies

• fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It gets easier! I'm not sure what your pace is, but if you find you're going to die slow down. Keep running, but do it at a slower pace.
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think I am running as slow as I can :). I did finish though!
  • rnhoppe
    Options
  • hellou76
    hellou76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    it gets easier.....lol.... eventually.....

It is hard, very hard to go from not being active to running any length of time, I know this because I have done it. I started by trying to follow the c25k but like you say I thought my heart and lungs were going to pop, and running even for 1 minute nearly killed me. I gave up, tried again, gave up again, tried again got to week 4... almost died, gave up.... tried again gave up... you get the picture. Although I threw the towel in on several occasions I picked it back up again determined that one day I would be able to run. It has taken a long time of consistent training (almost a year) to be able to run 5k but over the past few weeks I have started to call myself a runner (a slow runner but still it is running). It was the cardio fitness that I ws lacking and as that has improved (through cross training) so has my ability to run.

It does get easier, but the best advice I would give is, take no notice of the weekly time schedule of the set c25k, use the set intervals as a guide to your training but don't get fixed on the fact that you can't complete what is recquired in week 2 by the end of week 2, just do it at the pace that is best for you and your body, it might take longer than 8 weeks or in my case eight months.

Best wishes with the training, keep with it because when you do achieve your goal you will feel awesome
  • PurpleCoyote
    PurpleCoyote Posts: 24 Member
    Options

You finished! That's the main thing :) Keep at it, and if you're struggling, stick with Wk1 for another week then move on to Wk2 :)
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    It gets better.

It took me a few weeks to finish the first week while running outside (I recommend running outside instead of a treadmill). But since then I have not had to repeat any days or weeks. Just listen to your body. Give yourself time to recover. Don't try to do too much too soon. And most importantly, don't give up.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets easier! I'm on week 3 right now, and I can already tell that my endurance has improved, and the "I'm going to die!" feeling has subsided a lot. I'm still slow, especially compared to my boyfriend that absolutely loves to run, but at least it's working!

Just being able to finish should make you feel awesome about it! Keep going, redo a week if you feel you should, and you can do it!
  • justaride08
    Options
    I promise it gets easier!! I am on week 7 of the 5k. The hardest week for me is when you have to start running 3 minutes at a time I literally thought I would die and never be able to do 5 mins and then 8 mins! But after that it got easier and now I'm running 25 minutes! Just keep it slow and steady and keep with it!
  • lizarene3
    lizarene3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did week one day 2 last night and it wasn't easier to me, but couch potato doesn't begin to tell you how out of shape I am! I figure I will do week one for as long as I have to before advancing. I just hope I stick to it, it kicks my butt bigtime! I just kept on thinking about the saying I have at work...Don't expect it to be easy....Expect it to be worth it! I kept telling myself that over and over as I wanted to die last night! Good luck!!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Not only does it get easier, but you are constantly surprising yourself with what you can do, which in turn makes you want to do more...and then you begin to feel the little tingle of an addiction start to come on :)
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    you DID FINISH!! that in itself is a huge accomplishment :drinker: I started last monday too and i was so stoked that i even finished..i was only able to do the first 2 days so i'm gonna tackle the 3rd day this evening :smile: The fact that i RAN for the first time in probably 15 years still blows me away! Just remember, you are still lapping everyone on the couch :bigsmile: You got this!
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    It does get easier- The hardset part is starting and you have accomplished that!
  • hoskibn
    hoskibn Posts: 86
    Options
    I started the c24k last night. Week 1 day 1. Please tell me it gets easier..I thought I was going to die!

It definitely gets easier. I am just in week 5 and can run longer and further than I dreamed possible on day 1.
  • theMightyAnt
    Options
    We all struggled with the first few weeks. It definitely gets easier.

If you give it your all (some days are easier than others) and stick with the the program (three times a week) I promise that you will amaze yourself very soon and feel awesome. Good luck, I know you can do it.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets easier. I finished C25K about 4 months ago, and the whole 9 weeks of it, I didn't know if I was going to be able to do the next step. When I started, I was about 270 pounds and had never run for more than maybe a minute at a time in my life.

Since finishing the program, I now run 5k about 3 times a week and have even run 10k a couple times!

It gets easier! :)
  • dblred0728
    dblred0728 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes it does get easier although almost every run the first 3-5 minutes are my hardest! I've gone 4.70 miles as my longest run but felt like I wanted to quit the first 5 minutes! Just push through it your body will adapt and will adapt quickly. Good Luck to you Keep it up!
  • rnhoppe
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :smile:
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I didn't follow it when I started. But what I did was nearly the same. I actually started on the treadmill until I went on the road.

I used to get out of breath walking across the parking lot, now my muscles tire out before my heart and lungs.

It will get easier, I promise
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It totally gets easier. I started the program in March and couldn't even run 30 seconds straight!

I wanted to quit, cry and stop but I promised myself I would at least finish the program and then decide if I liked running.

I can still remember how great I felt when I realized I had just completed a 20 minute interval without stopping.

On August 18th, I ran my first 5K race! I ran the whole thing without stopping and did it within the time I had allotted myself. Major NSV!

You CAN do it...AND WILL do it....just keep putting one foot in front of the other and it will happen.

Remember, it doesn't matter how slow you go...you are still lapping those people on the couch. (this saying helped me MANY times)

Hang in there and happy running!

If I am a runner, anyone can be.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I take 2 weeks for each week. It really helped build up my endurance, I think better than to "quickly" move on only after doing it 3 times but maybe that's just me. I started at 250lbs and an ex-smoker by 2½ months so maybe that's why I felt the need to take longer. You do not have to stick with it by weeks. Just move on when you feel ready.

And I will tell you, day one, thought I was gonna die and I even gave up twice. Day two and beyond, still haven't given up. Remember it is really 10% physical and 90% mental. Don't tell yourself you cant do it!