Hurricane Issac

Options
Anyone else getting ready to get pummeled? I'm in New Orleans. If electricity goes down, modem goes down... modem goes down and I can't access MFP from my computer OR my iPod (I don't have it on my cell). Aghhhhhhhhhh!!! Hmmm.... generator connected to fridge and new window unit (purchased in case we lose the AC) orrrrr to the modem so I can get online? LMAO.

Replies

• TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you can, how about leaving. Make it a hurrication.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I was in the FL Keys when it hit Sunday - it was very hyped up!!

It looks like it will hit NOLA as a TS (they say CAT 1 to get peple to prepare better, but we know it'll hit the shelf and land and not be able to maintain CAT 1 strength).

You'll get a few hours of wind and rain. Those in Biloxi and Mobile will probably feel more because they'll be on the thick outer band.

Stay safe!!
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm in Louisiana as well. More inland though, but I'm still NOT looking forward to this at all. It's my first hurricane! Ahhhh! :sad:
  • SanCan2602
    SanCan2602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I lived in Gulfport, MS during hurricane Katrina and have since moved. I do not miss the hurricane season. Everyone please be safe and remember that material things can always be replaced!
  • DoktorVerderben
    Options
    Waiting for the weather to hit here in Metairie. I already had to skip jogging this morning, and will have to tomorrow I am sure. Things won't be anywhere near as bad as they have been making out on TV though, I think it's just been a slow week for news.
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    We're in Houma so I'm not that far from you. I'll be using my app from my phone if possible.
    GOOD LUCK riding out the storm! We decided to stay after my mom told us it took them 7 hours to get to Lafayette and that's a 2 hour drive on a regular commute.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Anyone else getting ready to get pummeled? I'm in New Orleans. If electricity goes down, modem goes down... modem goes down and I can't access MFP from my computer OR my iPod (I don't have it on my cell). Aghhhhhhhhhh!!! Hmmm.... generator connected to fridge and new window unit (purchased in case we lose the AC) orrrrr to the modem so I can get online? LMAO.

You never want to hook a generator up to a computer, tv or an AC unit. It's "dirty power" and not good for the system.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to predict what they will do. Praying it won't be a repeat of Katrina. The levies have been repaired and reinforced, this might be a good test and I pray they pass.

Good luck to you and stay safe!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

You never want to hook a generator up to a computer, tv or an AC unit. It's "dirty power" and not good for the system.
    So long as it's got the right transformer on it, it's just ****ing electricity.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

You're right and my husband who is a Professional Electrical ENGINEER is wrong.

My bad.
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    We evacuated for Katrina (and then from our evacuation spot for Rita) and stayed for the last few TSs. I think this one will be ok but I hate the thought of no electricity. We went and bought a window unit in case the power does go out (we can run the small unit that will cool one room and the inside fridge/freezer to keep as much food as possible). I've lived in the area my entire life so I'm not new to the storms (it's been upgraded to a 1). What people forget is that we don't have our barrier islands anymore. While we used to have no problems whatsoever with storms up to a cat 3, now the smallest storms make a big impact and we feel it inland much more. That being said, it is just getting into the peak of hurricane season and evacuating is expensive and difficult (it's not at all like a vacation and packing for it is like packing your stuff to move overnight because you don't know if/when you'll make it back). I have a house rabbit, dog, turtles, my parents, and my aging grandfather. Getting them all together and getting hotel rooms that accommodate pets, disablities, etc. is a huge hassle, especially if it's going to just be a TS. It's also financially difficult to evacuate for every storm, so you have to pick which ones you go for. This one, though it is going to give us several days of wind and rain (and power outages), likely won't be life threatening. Soooo, we stay. :-(
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Really??? Search before you make a new topic. This was up YESTERDAY

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/720633-hurricane-issac
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Really??? Search before you make a new topic. This was up YESTERDAY

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/720633-hurricane-issac

So? There's always redundant posts in the forums. Big deal.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

My bad.

Your husband is partially right. It's not recommended to hook up a tv or anything with electrical components like a computer, to a generator because of the varying wavelengths output by said generator, thus resulting in dirty power. But, with modern technology, and modern surge protectors / line filtration systems, you really don't have to worry about it as much as you used to. If you go for like 3 strait days, then yes it might fry your computer or tv. But if you're just using it for normal use, nothing overly strenuous, then you should be fine.
  • LaurenLite
    Options

My bad.

Your husband is partially right. It's not recommended to hook up a tv or anything with electrical components like a computer, to a generator because of the varying wavelengths output by said generator, thus resulting in dirty power. But, with modern technology, and modern surge protectors / line filtration systems, you really don't have to worry about it as much as you used to. If you go for like 3 strait days, then yes it might fry your computer or tv. But if you're just using it for normal use, nothing overly strenuous, then you should be fine.

Thanks guys. I really hope it isn't threeeee days without power. What the heck did they do "in the old days," without AC and... and... INTERNET!!! and.... FACEBOOK!!?!?!?!?! (Yeah, I'm still stuck in the old days to the extent that my phone web package basically is just big enough to open and reply to some emails... I'll up it when this contract is up, though). Tic--tic--eye twitch shudder. no.... facebook... ::falls over::
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

My bad.
    And I'm a qualified Electronic Engineer. So yeah.