Fantasy football help!

Options
Kswiss83
Kswiss83 Posts: 41 Member
So, I am pretty well versed in the rules of football etc. I love the Patriots and have been watching football since I was a child. However, this is my first time doing fantasy football. I have been doing some research, but I still have some questions. What are the most important positions to pick first? What order have people done them in? Any other helpful tips and pointers on some players and whatnot is much appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies

• Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You want two solid RB's, preferably that don't share a bye week. A third option at RB will help also.

You'll also want a stout WR with the QB that throws to him often. A TD scored between this connection will net points for BOTH players.

Take a kicker from a team that kicks a lot of field goals.

Take a team defense that is known for getting tons of sacks/takeaways.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    What are the scoring settings of your league? What positions play? How many roster spots?
    -wtk
  • Merc71
    Options
    Also, avoid taking a lot of players from the same team. You'll be screwed on the bye week.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Generally - and these change depending on league scoring - your high scoring players are QBs and RBs. It used to be, get a great RB first. But so many teams are now "RB by committee" that is has become less important. Plus, the league is a lot more passing than it used to be. So, if you can get an elite QB (Brees, Brady, Rodgers) then you may want to pick a QB first. If not, then maybe go for a RB. I know people are high on Arian Foster, Stephen Jackson is usually solid... look for teams that primarily use one guy. I would stay away from anyone coming off of a major injury (Adrian Peterson), or if you do pick him, also pick up the backup (Tony Gerhart).

WR is the deepest position, so picking them up in the middle of the draft is no problem. Also look who is throwing the ball. You may like Larry Fitzgerald, but do you like him with Skelton being the QB?

Anyway, the thing is there are a handful of elite players at each position, and after that they are pretty much the same. TE you have Gonk and Graham who are tops, and you may want to take someone like that a little earlier than people normally take TEs (i wouldn't use a 1st or 2nd rounder on them).

Kickers and defense are usually the last 2 rounds. The difference is negligible. However, if your league has Special Teams lumped in with defense, that is something to take into consideration - although, the difference is still small.

I would usually draft like this
    1. RB
    2. QB
    3. RB
    4. WR
    5. QB
    6. RB
    7. WR
    8. TE
    9. WR
    10. WR
    11. DEFENSE
    12. K

But those could certainly change if an elite player is sitting there.

Something like that, i guess....
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Most important of all is never ever ever ever draft anyone from the New York Jets. When they play the Patriots and you find yourself rooting for a Jets player a little piece of your soul will die.
  • Kswiss83
    Options
    Thanks! This has been pretty helpful. It makes me feel a bit more confident going in, but I also realized that I was somewhat on the right track with my thoughts/picks.
  • Kswiss83
    Options
    Most important of all is never ever ever ever draft anyone from the New York Jets. When they play the Patriots and you find yourself rooting for a Jets player a little piece of your soul will die.

That is a non issue. I plan on steering clear of all jets players, unless I feel stuck. Haha.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Aaron Rodgers. Done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to your bye weeks when drafting a player. I've seen people draft 2 qbs with the same bye week. So unless you're really good a trading, it's a wasted pick.
    Consider taking the "BEST" player on the board. Say you draft an RB on your first and then CALVIN JOHNSON comes back around because people are afraid of the MADDEN CURSE (which for some reason is consistent). Instead of taking another RB or QB you may want to take a chance on a stud like this regardless.
    Unless you're getting a top TE, K, or DEF, draft these WAY later in the rounds. Don't waste a middle round pick on them unless a proven person/team in that position is available.
    Look ahead. Don't count on someone being there and have at least 2 other options when your turn comes up. Bad picks happen when a person focuses on a player and then they get snagged.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Kswiss83
    Options
    Aaron Rodgers. Done.

lol if only it were that simple.
  • Truemoose
    Truemoose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have made the playoffs in my league the last 5 years, winning the whole thing twice.

It depends if your drafting in the front, middle or end of the first round. But on the whole, RB's are usually picked first, so my strategy was getting a playmaker of either a QB/WR. So last year picking 5th I picked (QB) A Rodgers and (WR) C Johnson in the first two rounds.
    The league is becoming pass oriented, so value stud QB, WR over RB.

Good Luck!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Aaron Rodgers. Done.
    I had him last year. Of all the games he had to choke on (KANSAS CITY), was during my playoff game. Of course next week he threw 4 TD's. Sigh.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Kswiss83
    Options
    Any other tips and pointers are welcomed. It is mostly a male dominated league and I'd like to put on a good showing for my first time playing =)
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    If you have one of the first 3 picks - Arian Foster, Ray Rice, LeSean McCoy. After those 3 guys, the running back situation gets a bit iffy. At This point you can take another solid RB, or go with an elite QB (Rodgers, Brady, Brees).

There aren't many WRs that are first round worthy, IMO. The depth at that position is crazy deep compared to RB. If you don't get Rodgers, Brady or Brees as a QB early, DO NOT waste a pick on a QB until much, much later. The mid-tier guys will put up solid numbers and you'll be able to get them later (either Manning, Ryan, Romo, etc). Do not pick a TE early unless it's Gronk, Graham (both going really high this year) or Gates.

Do not draft a kicker or defense until the last 2 rounds. You'll be tempted to. Other people in your league will - but it doesn't make sense. The margin of difference bewteen the top kicker and 15th place kicker will be very narrow. You can plug and play defenses depending on match-ups. Use those later round picks to make sure you have good backups to cover your bye weeks, and take a couple sleeper picks or RBs that would be good if the main guy gets hurt.
  • Merc71
    Options

So much this!

Only in my case, I substitute Patriots for RAIDERS....and Jets for BRONCOS.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

So much this!

Only in my case, I substitute Patriots for RAIDERS....and Jets for BRONCOS.
    How can you like the Raiders and Broncos mutually?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Did my draft yesterday.

Had the 9th pick out of 14 teams. Took Forte first. Here's my team:

QB Andy Dalton (or Cutler, I got lucky that no one took him late)
    RB Matt Forte
    RB Donald Brown
    WR AJ Green
    WR Jordy Nelson
    WR/RB Wes Welker
    TE Owen Daniels
    K Stephen Gostkowski
    DEF Buffalo

BN Jay Cutler
    BN Eric Decker
    BN Toby Gerhardt
    BN Martellus Bennett