Learning how to run!!

Options
Hello all,

I'm an aspiring runner and wanted to find out what you all think about something I discovered. I'm working my way up to being a regular 3 times a week runner. I've only been jogging for the last 2 months before which I was a 10-a-day smoker and would collapse in a heap at the mere mention of a run... So I've already come quite a way and am very happy about that. I can now run for a total of 30mins, at 8.5kmph-9.0kmph, with maybe 1 or 2 minute-long walking intervals if it gets very tough.

Here's the bad news. The other day I was jogging along at my regular 8.5kmph on the treadmill next to my boyfriend. And he looked over and asked me to lift my feet more. I looked at myself in the mirror and it was horrifying! While I felt like I was flying through the air I was actually barely lifting my feet off the ground. He taught me to lift my feet at the back as much as possible - almost kicking my own butt - which gave me a lot more bounce and speed. But I did that for about 2 minutes and I felt like I would collapse.

How important is it to run 'properly' i.e. kicking your own butt. Is there any point running / jogging with 'bad form' or should I relent and work my way up from 2 minutes to 30 with this new 'technique'?? HELP please!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Lifting your legs that much is not necessary unless you are sprinting. However, running form is important and good running form will help prevent injury. Google "Good Form Running" for information, diagrams, pictures, and videos.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm an aspiring runner and wanted to find out what you all think about something I discovered. I'm working my way up to being a regular 3 times a week runner. I've only been jogging for the last 2 months before which I was a 10-a-day smoker and would collapse in a heap at the mere mention of a run... So I've already come quite a way and am very happy about that. I can now run for a total of 30mins, at 8.5kmph-9.0kmph, with maybe 1 or 2 minute-long walking intervals if it gets very tough.

Here's the bad news. The other day I was jogging along at my regular 8.5kmph on the treadmill next to my boyfriend. And he looked over and asked me to lift my feet more. I looked at myself in the mirror and it was horrifying! While I felt like I was flying through the air I was actually barely lifting my feet off the ground. He taught me to lift my feet at the back as much as possible - almost kicking my own butt - which gave me a lot more bounce and speed. But I did that for about 2 minutes and I felt like I would collapse.

How important is it to run 'properly' i.e. kicking your own butt. Is there any point running / jogging with 'bad form' or should I relent and work my way up from 2 minutes to 30 with this new 'technique'?? HELP please!

Thing is, everyone runs differently, but there is a general form to follow to avoid injury and breath easier, and tweaks to that form can improve speed and gait. When you are learning to run, it will feel like the most foreign thing in the world because the way you hold your body does not feel normal. But, you will develop a tighter core, a tighter lower abdomen, a tighter lower back, and better hips and thighs (even slimmer arms) if you are running in a good position.

You don't really need to lift your legs high unless you want to pick up your miles per minute. However, running more on your toes (hard if you're a heel striker), running with your body tilted a little forward, standing up straight, and moving your arms is hard to remember at the same time. :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Running form is important.

Kicking your own butt is not proper form for distance running.

google it up. There's lots of good information.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to lift your legs high unless you want to pick up your miles per minute.

I disagree with this point. The lift that I give my legs doesn't vary at all between a slow pace or a fast pace. I don't think you need to "kick your butt" when you run. You need to figure out what is comfortable for you and that means foot strike as well as how far you lift your legs. Every person is different when they run. I'm a toe striker, I don't lift my feet high, and my legs tend to swing out when I run. I'm not doing anything incorrectly it's just the way I run.

Oh, and awesome job on the running and (correct me if I'm wrong) quitting smoking or at least cutting it down.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I look absolutely ridiculous when I run. I shuffle. And not a Party Rock Anthem shuffle. A senior citizen on the way to bingo shuffle.

But it gets the job done.

IMG_4382.jpg
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Lifting your legs higher is a waster of energy, you should skim along the ground. Your leading leg should land under, not in front of, your body and as you get faster, your heels will kick up behind you more naturally.

Concentrate on your cadence, or turnover, as that has more influence on your speed than stride length. Aim for three steps per second.

Try running outside - you'll find you hit your own pace naturally and can work on your gait - while avoiding tripping over obstacles!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    If you're bouncing when you run, you're wasting effort going up and down rather than moving smoothly forward. A good runner puts all effort toward a light, smooth forward motion.

Also, lifting your legs that high is inefficient and puts more energy toward kicking than running. You want a light, easy swing back and forth. As someone else said, your legs might lift a bit higher when you're sprinting, but in no case should you be kicking so high as to approach your butt. That's just asking for a hamstring or quadriceps strain.

Here's a good description of it. http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/tp/runningform.htm
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    This video helps you see it, too...

http://video.about.com/running/Proper-Running-Form.htm

Notice toward the end of the video that his feet aren't coming too high up off the treadmill. It's more about pushing forward than bouncing up.
  • Cindy_38
    Options
    I look absolutely ridiculous when I run. I shuffle. And not a Party Rock Anthem shuffle. A senior citizen on the way to bingo shuffle.

But it gets the job done

This is the funniest thing I read all day. It's true though, go with what feels comfortable.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I def. do not kick my butt as I run.

I pick my feet up but only enough to move me forward.... and I don't run all that fast either.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the info. Awesome question!

And great job on building up ur running time and cutting back on the smokes! (i'm also assuming)
  • msmissylowe
    Options
    I am still learning how to run and get so confused. These forums have been helpful, but it would be nice to have a live person standing next to me telling me what to do!
    Good luck!
  • surabhit
    surabhit Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so so much! Really helpful advice! I'm not going to try and kick my own butt anymore :) but will instead focus on form, and keep up doing the distances. I think I need to life my feet more anyway, because I'm not seeing enough fat loss on my stomach and arms. Your assumptions are right - I have stopped smoking completely and thank you :). It's SO great to be a runner, finally! I like to call myself that. The fact that it's on a treadmill and only 30mins is a secret amongst us MFP'ers :). Shh! Good luck to you all :) Do add me if you're looking for thin-spiration :)
  • cswiencki
    Options
    Technically an efficient runner really doesn't pick up their feet that much. When you are running long distances and want to conserve energy you keep your feet low. in your case I would work with somewhere in between though. Running on a treadmill you do not have to worry about tripping over anything but running outside you do and dragging you feet is a good way to injure yourself. Also maybe try running with a slight incline. This may change your gate a bit.

In the end find something that feels natural and do not be afraid to vary your gate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Different stroke for different folks. Running styles are very personal. I find it impossible to "jog" - unless I run at a reasonable speed it hurts my knees. By nature I'm a sprinter and always hated any distance work and was completely useless at it (PE teacher caught me waiting at a bus stop on a cross country run....).
    If you want to change your style try changing the speed for short spells.
    Well done on becoming a runner and even more praise for being an ex-smoker.