Pho?

Options
terrie_k
terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
Does anyone know how to make it, or something similar? I know it takes many hours but I'm hoping a crock pot can help.

Replies

• terrie_k
    Options
    Anyone?
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    No idea. I've only heard of one friend of a friend ever trying, and they figured it wasn't worth the effort when it was so cheap and easy to just eat it at a restaurant. But then maybe they just didn't do a good job, or didn't make enough to make it worth the time!

If you want to give it a shot though, this looks like it might be a good place to start: http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup-pho.html
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    There's a pretty good one in Best Recipes cook book that doesn't involve crazy beef stock procedures that are usually called for. In fact it doesn't use beef stock at all but you honestly can't tell. And I'm a huge Pho fan having made it traditiditonally as well. For the ease I always go with the Best Recipe version now a days.

By the way, its a fabulous cook book as a whole.

http://www.amazon.com/Recipe-Editors-Cooks-Illustrated-Magazine/dp/0936184388
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I just ate pho for dinner right now ;3. My granny makes it in a hhuuggeeee pot and lets it simmer for hours, or even overnight. It's enough to eat for two weeks usually.

I know she uses:

Chicken broth (or if you can find broth made specifically for pho, that's be great, usually in huge Asian markets.)
    Star anise
    Saigon cinnamon
    Lemon grass
    Beef bones (what really gives it the flavor)
    Whole onions, (she used four in an enormous pot)
    Nuoc nam, or fish sauce in English XD

I wouldn't be able to tell you how much or the measurements, because Vietnamese people don't measure anything XP . . . They eyeball it from experience @.@.

My mother makes it too, and it really just looks like she throws all this stuff in and lets it simmer.

Good luck!
  • kemkem89
    Options
    You're in luck:) One of my go-to gurus for vietnamese food did a detailed post on Crock Pot Pho here: http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2009/12/crock-pot-pho-bo-vietnamese-beef-noodle.html
    I can verify that it is authentic. It is easy, probably harder part is finding the ingredients. Then it's just a long wait.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    You're in luck:) One of my go-to gurus for vietnamese food did a detailed post on Crock Pot Pho here: http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2009/12/crock-pot-pho-bo-vietnamese-beef-noodle.html
    I can verify that it is authentic. It is easy, probably harder part is finding the ingredients. Then it's just a long wait.

You rock! Thanks for the link! So excited!!!!! :)
  • terrie_k
    Options
    Thank you all, can't wait to try some of these!!
  • DesertRains
    DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Funny that this should come up - I *just* made this for dinner on Sunday!

We used a mix for the broth that we found in the regular grocery store, in the international foods aisle.

It is called Sunbird Pho mix - it looks like this:
    https://www.soupsonline.com/images/Product/medium/2738.jpg

Here is the nutrition info from the package:

Serving Size: 1 Tbsp (8g)
    Servings Per Container: 4

Amount per Serving
    Calories 25
    Calories from Fat 5

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 1g 2%
    Sat. Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 670mg 28%
    Total Carbs 2g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 2g

Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2%
    Iron 2%

One packet makes 4 cups of finished broth - a serving is one cup of broth. The sodium is a tad high, but doable if you don't eat this all three meals! We used shirataki "miracle" noodles instead of rice noodles (dry fry before adding) and all of the other traditional pho sides. It was awesome, and very, very low cal!

It is a good, in-a-hurry meal - of course not AS good as homemade pho (drool!) but easy, quick and adaptable. I plan on doing this mix with a shrimp and veggie pho, too.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I volunteer to test the recipes
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Love pho ty for all the posts
  • TheNommist
    TheNommist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've made it from scratch before, and while the result was inevitably worth it, it's an absolute event. The broth takes a long time and requires a ton of ingredients to make, but it's well worth it at the end. I don't have my recipe, because I was just creating as I went along, but I can say that I've seen some different types of Pho broth at grocery stores–They had Chicken, Beef and Vegetarian.

I've yet to try them, but I can't wait to. Take a look at your grocery store/health-food store, and I'm sure you'll find them in the broth or asian section. That'd be a good starting place, I think.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    bump